• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Carter Gordon obviously makes sense as an immediate flyhalf solve for 2023 and beyond, but why bother signing the Lynagh kid if you're going after him? Unless we are happy for Lynagh to be getting paid big boy salary for the duration of his contract whilst sitting on the bench.

Hansen and Tuttle I'm not so sure - Hansen will be 35, if the Reds can hold onto Mafi, Nasser and Asiata do we need Hansen? I think we will know more about Mafi's future in the coming weeks so maybe Hansen will find a spot.

Bobby Tuttle would be a decent backup, but does he offer more than Kalani and Spencer Jeans? Hard to say and the upside of those two playing another season of Super Rugby will only help their development.
Yes, yes and yes.
JOC (James O'Connor) has not signed beyond 2023, and unless it’s on paper I wouldn’t take words as a given. We will always need two competently playing at flyhalf. Lynagh is a few years (not a couple) off yet, so doesn’t it make sense. Do you want Gordon or Creighton…easy choice.
Hansen matches it with Mafi, and is better than all others. The question is Mafi staying…me thinks not. We need experience instead of another hooker that’s not up to standard.
Thomas will only ever be a basic replacement, and if we lost McDermott for more than a few games, then we are in big trouble as our options are a few pegs below. Once again Tuffle offers experience, and we always need three.
My shopping list would include a couple of experienced props too, but find me a Queenslander who is off contract. I’d take Slipper above all others.

EDIT. The three I mentioned have more than likely re-signed with the Rebels, but can we at least reach out. Gordon may be the hard one to get assuming he retains the same manager. Time to put differences to the side and move on.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Outside of player movement, I'd be keen to hear from the coaching team what their thoughts are for the second year running we've capitulated against the Kiwi teams.

More over, I'd be pressing to get an answer on why our S&C program has failed to prepare the team properly. Marsh is meant to be one of the leading S&C coaches going around and Thorn prides himself on his career longevity.

So why do we find ourselves with probably the highest injury rate in the competition?

No point in spending all this cash on players if you can't get more than a handful of games out of them.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Outside of player movement, I'd be keen to hear from the coaching team what their thoughts are for the second year running we've capitulated against the Kiwi teams.

More over, I'd be pressing to get an answer on why our S&C program has failed to prepare the team properly. Marsh is meant to be one of the leading S&C coaches going around and Thorn prides himself on his career longevity.

So why do we find ourselves with probably the highest injury rate in the competition?

No point in spending all this cash on players if you can't get more than a handful of games out of them.
100%. I understand there was a change in S&C at the beginning of the season. Big question there.

EDIT: Yeah I better edit that.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Chibba is a bit overrated me thinks. Rebels scrum consistently goes backwards with him at hooker.
I haven’t watched all Rebel’s games this season, but when I have he seems like he is getting it right. Better than what the Reds are delivering week in and week out anyway.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Carter Gordon obviously makes sense as an immediate flyhalf solve for 2023 and beyond, but why bother signing the Lynagh kid if you're going after him? Unless we are happy for Lynagh to be getting paid big boy salary for the duration of his contract whilst sitting on the bench.
Obviously the Reds see a future with Lynagh, but as @Roberts Rugby said, a signing like Gordon would allow a stopgap between the present (O'Connor) and the future (Lynagh, or even Creighton). Of course the need for that is dependent on JOC (James O'Connor)'s movements, but we've seen this season (and in the Quade years) the importance of having a reliable fallback 10.

Understand the issues with Lynagh's contract, but we've seen rushed development be the undoing of many a schoolboy star, so it's probably wise to avoid it if we can.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My order for 2023:
C. Gordon
J. Hansen
J. Tuttle
Based on players not known to be signed and all from QLD.
Nah leave them at the rebels, Hansen too old and weak scrummager. Tuttle as starting half for rebels would and should have little interest coming back to qld to be sitting behind other…Tate, jeans and kalini.

i also would leave Gordon at rebels as creighton probably on par and develop your other options

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Nah leave them at the rebels, Hansen too old and weak scrummager. Tuttle as starting half for rebels would and should have little interest coming back to qld to be sitting behind other…Tate, jeans and kalini.

i also would leave Gordon at rebels as creighton probably on par and develop your other options
Well you didn’t help us there. We still have positions to fill with big gaps. At least my options were an improvement on where we are at right now.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Efi Mafu should be available.
He was hooker on brads original u20 qld team, was given a reds contract too but left because of limited opportunity stuck behind BPA/Mafi.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Think QLD needs to look a bit broader for hooking options in 2023, need someone Super Rugby ready not another development option. Don't know how much spare change is in the salary cap for that though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Think QLD needs to look a bit broader for hooking options in 2023, need someone Super Rugby ready not another development option. Don't know how much spare change is in the salary cap for that though.
How long did BPA sign overseas for?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

problem is there doesn't appear any proven, fit and available in the market place.

Most hookers this year around the Aussie super clubs have succumbed to injuries which always put doubt on them. It is only the brumbies who have hoarded a few away that might be raided, but from what I understand all of their lads are signed on tight deals until 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
problem is there doesn't appear any proven, fit and available in the market place.

Most hookers this year around the Aussie super clubs have succumbed to injuries which always put doubt on them. It is only the brumbies who have hoarded a few away that might be raided, but from what I understand all of their lads are signed on tight deals until 2024

I actually don't mind the trio of Asiata, Nasser and Faessler. I think they are all Super Rugby quality but we just need a them to put their hand up and push to that next level.

I don't believe QLDer Feleti Kaitu'u has a contract next year and has dropped off in form recently, as well as having Folau Fainga'a in the hood in 2023 too.....