• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
IS it good enough to accept that a win is beyond us when two players are down? Two of our most valued 4-5 players t be fair, but still.
It isn’t about accepting a win is beyond us, it’s about understanding why it was a tough ask given the circumstances.

It’s been said time and time again across numerous threads - 2 of our most valuable players out for a significant period, plus a rotation of 3/4/5 others out of the best 23, plus the curse of the hookers. Covering injuries to two star players is one thing, dealing with half a team’s worth is another.

I personally think Thorn and the others did a pretty solid job of taking it to the Kiwis given the players they had available. There were 2 or 3 games where the Reds were properly in it, and probably would’ve taken the win with their best 23 (or near to it).

Thorn’s at the very least earned the right to ride out his contract - let’s have this conversation next year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IS it good enough to accept that a win is beyond us when two players are down? Two of our most valued 4-5 players t be fair, but still.
Not what I said Dru, anyway I’m not looking for another argument with you.

You can think what you want, I said what I think about Thorn for 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Off topic... Did you play W:et?

On topic

I reckon thorns done a great job given where we were. We dominated the Aus conference playing a nz game plan.

We just lose to the kiwi teams coz we are basically a really really bad kiwi side.
Interesting to understand why reds did not perform well against kiwi teams vs say brumbies who did much better…not sure why this is the case…weaknesses that oz teams can’t exploit as well as oz teams or something else…

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
But Mafi was the only one missing in the Canes game. Asiata was/is an improvement over Nasser and Feao has been starting over Zane recently.
I actually think Nasser was our best performed hooker this year.

As far as the Hurricanes game goes that was probably our worst performance this year given the way we capitulated, but having the leadership and control O'Connor brings definitely would've helped settling things down as the Hurricanes started to come back at us. We were also down on locks/6s at that stage - Uru, Salakaia-Loto and Wright were all injured and Angus Scott-Young was making his way back from injury.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But Mafi was the only one missing in the Canes game. Asiata was/is an improvement over Nasser and Feao has been starting over Zane recently.
Nasser is a better scrummager then Asiata from what I’ve seen (isn’t a whole lot).

Is this the game Tupou went off injured?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
We were also down on locks/6s at that stage - Uru, Salakaia-Loto and Wright were all injured and Angus Scott-Young was making his way back from injury.
Add Petaia and Henry (less of a certainty, but might've taken Grealey's bench spot) to the list of unavailable v the Hurricanes as well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting to understand why reds did not perform well against kiwi teams vs say brumbies who did much better…not sure why this is the case…weaknesses that oz teams can’t exploit as well as oz teams or something else…
Really interesting!!!

I think there's a combination of reasons, but to be certain I'll be spending serious time during my holidays rewatching a sample of the games.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

On topic

I reckon thorns done a great job given where we were. We dominated the Aus conference playing a nz game plan.

We just lose to the kiwi teams coz we are basically a really really bad kiwi si

On topic

We just lose to the kiwi teams coz we are basically a really really bad kiwi side.
NO we Don't. Reds have good wins every so often, There is nothing consistent under Thorn at all except , poor game management and shocking ill discipline that has not been corrected for years.
Thorn Can not rely on Thor and JOC (James O'Connor) which he does.
Reds have some bloody awesome talent being wasted under him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A normal draw probably helps the Reds.

I think they won a few close games they probably shouldn’t have early in the season, lots of ill discipline and periods with 13 or 14 on the field. They don’t win those games against Kiwi teams.

Probably caused some complacency.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
For me the back end of Reds' 2022 season was perfectly summed up the passage of play that lead to Tate getting knocked out in the QF against the Saders.

We were in the game with 20 mins to go , get a quick turn over in their half and rather than keeping the ball in hand we put in a poor kick that found Will Jordan on the full. A few phases later the Crusaders had scored off the counter attack ( read opportunity they were given by the Reds' poor option taking and execution) , Tate was being stretchered off and we went on to lose by more than 20 pts.

Highlights how quickly the game can turn against quality opposition and unfortunately happened too often this season. something to address for 2023.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me the back end of Reds' 2022 season was perfectly summed up the passage of play that lead to Tate getting knocked out in the QF against the Saders.

We were in the game with 20 mins to go , get a quick turn over in their half and rather than keeping the ball in hand we put in a poor kick that found Will Jordan on the full. A few phases later the Crusaders had scored off the counter attack ( read opportunity they were given by the Reds' poor option taking and execution) , Tate was being stretchered off and we went on to lose by more than 20 pts.

Highlights how quickly the game can turn against quality opposition and unfortunately happened too often this season. something to address for 2023.
Serious question…so reds would like to think they are the best oz super rugby side or seriously challenging to be that…do you think cf Brumbies performances over the whole season is this the case…brumbies performance this campaign vs last year…reds campaign this year vs last year…

Reds top super rugby side in oz or the great pretenders…you decide…

there you go the hand grenade as I leave the reds forum…

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Serious question…so reds would like to think they are the best oz super rugby side or seriously challenging to be that…do you think cf Brumbies performances over the whole season is this the case…brumbies performance this campaign vs last year…reds campaign this year vs last year…

Reds top super rugby side in oz or the great pretenders…you decide…

there you go the hand grenade as I leave the reds forum…
You most likely have an answer to that question and there would be very few who would be happy with the back half of the season for the Reds…….. but they did go into the back half of the season only having lost one game, and playing pretty ordinary footy in doing so ……… if you think the Reds are pretenders, not sure where that leaves the other Aussie franchises they managed to beat with far from complete performances? Maybe you decide ?

Top Bottom