• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I again liked the look of Lynagh in his Premier Grade Debut yesterday. Like his first instinct is was to pass and attack (get the ball going forward). His passing was accurate. Defence solid. He didn’t mind taking the line on. And his kicking is exceptional.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I again liked the look of Lynagh in his Premier Grade Debut yesterday. Like his first instinct is was to pass and attack (get the ball going forward). His passing was accurate. Defence solid. He didn’t mind taking the line on. And his kicking is exceptional.
Do you think he could see Reds game time next year or still to young

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wallis has been very busy for UQ today. I'm pretty sure he's yet to re-sign with the Rebels, I wonder if the Reds will look to bring him back up as an Angus Scott-Young replacement.
I rate Wallis as a rugby player, but his issue in taking the next step up to Super Rugby is his height. Both the Reds and the Rebels have only really seen him as a 7/20. Not really tall enough to be a lineout option. Get the feeling he is stuck in between 7 & 6/8. He plays like an 8 , but his body size means he is looked at mostly at 7.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Seems the Reds have become a development nursery for every other team on the planet, but mostly the Rebels.
Can someone explain how Rebels seem to have an endless cash supply while Reds are broke? I thought there was a salary cap but given the shopping Melbourne have done I am convinced there must be some creative accounting being done.
Just hope it doesn't end in tears and the rest of Rugby AU has to stump up for creative endeavours.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels still don’t have any big name marquee players, at least announced. Which is why I imagine they’re also able to make plays for Taniela and possibly Kerevi.

The highest profile Reds to Rebels signing this year has been Mafi and he didn’t even get an RA top up.

Not saying it doesn’t hurt the Reds, but considering the Rebels don’t have lots of cash tied up in one or two blokes, I can see how they can afford this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems the Reds have become a development nursery for every other team on the planet, but mostly the Rebels.
Can someone explain how Rebels seem to have an endless cash supply while Reds are broke? I thought there was a salary cap but given the shopping Melbourne have done I am convinced there must be some creative accounting being done.
Just hope it doesn't end in tears and the rest of Rugby AU has to stump up for creative endeavours.

The Reds are broke??

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Understandable, no? Qld is the state that consistently brings the most talent through the pathways and have more up and coming players than one team can keep. The Rebels and Victoria are at the other end of the spectrum, so need to look elsewhere.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Understandable, no? Qld is the state that consistently brings the most talent through the pathways and have more up and coming players than one team can keep. The Rebels and Victoria are at the other end of the spectrum, so need to look elsewhere.
You do realise there is hardly any Reds in the Rebels team this year

LH - Gibbon (no) Orr (No) Kailea (no)
Hk - Uelese (no) Hanson (yep) Ma’afu (yes)
TH - Eloff (no) Fa’amasuili (no) Van Nek (yes)
Lk - Philip (no), Canham (no), Hosea (no although did 1yr of schooling in QLD) RHP (no) Nowlan (no) Maiava (no) Hill (no)
Fl - Hardwick (no) Wilkin (yes and no) Ioane (no), Leota (no) Kemeny (no) Wells (no) Wallis (yes)
SH - Tuttle (yes) Powell (no) Sorovi (yes)
FH - Gordon (yes)
C - To’omua (no but grew up in QLD), Ili (no), Tonumaipea (no) Nu’u (no) Skelton (no)
W - Kellaway (no) Ripley (yes) Worth (no) Anderson (no) Vudogo (no) Vaihu (yes and no, did high school in QLD)
FB - Hodge (no) Joost (no)

Gordon and Ripley prob the only legit talent draws, the rest had either already left or 3rd choice in position at best. There is actually more players from Vic than QLD. Actually more QLDers in the Brums than Rebels. Lolesio, Banks, etc.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You do realise there is hardly any Reds in the Rebels team this year

LH - Gibbon (no) Orr (No) Kailea (no)
Hk - Uelese (no) Hanson (yep) Ma’afu (yes)
TH - Eloff (no) Fa’amasuili (no) Van Nek (yes)
Lk - Philip (no), Canham (no), Hosea (no although did 1yr of schooling in QLD) RHP (no) Nowlan (no) Maiava (no) Hill (no)
Fl - Hardwick (no) Wilkin (yes and no) Ioane (no), Leota (no) Kemeny (no) Wells (no) Wallis (yes)
SH - Tuttle (yes) Powell (no) Sorovi (yes)
FH - Gordon (yes)
C - To’omua (no but grew up in QLD), Ili (no), Tonumaipea (no) Nu’u (no) Skelton (no)
W - Kellaway (no) Ripley (yes) Worth (no) Anderson (no) Vudogo (no) Vaihu (yes and no, did high school in QLD)
FB - Hodge (no) Joost (no)

Gordon and Ripley prob the only legit talent draws, the rest had either already left or 3rd choice in position at best. There is actually more players from Vic than QLD. Actually more QLDers in the Brums than Rebels. Lolesio, Banks, etc.
I wouldn't say 1/4 of the squad having Qld roots is hardly any.

But speaking historically, and to your comment about the Brumbies, the point I was making off @TalentFinder's observation is that Qld is Australia's premier rugby nursery and the Reds recruit young talent through their pathways, hence why it shouldn't be surprising that a bunch of Qlders (ex-Reds or otherwise) end up elsewhere.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I wouldn't say 1/4 of the squad having Qld roots is hardly any.

But speaking historically, and to your comment about the Brumbies, the point I was making off @TalentFinder's observation is that Qld is Australia's premier rugby nursery and the Reds recruit young talent through their pathways, hence why it shouldn't be surprising that a bunch of Qlders (ex-Reds or otherwise) end up elsewhere.
If you look at the list NSW is clearly the ones getting stooged, especially for top tier talent. Hardly any of the QLD roots players would get a look in against their Reds counterparts and are even at best bits and pieces players at the Rebels.

in fact Tuttle, Vaihu and Wilkin the only consistent picks with QLD links.

Tuttle a light year behind Tate and was cut by the Reds before the Rebels offered a lifeline.

Wilkin behind McReight and Wright

Vaihu behind Daugunu, Vunivalu, etc. and shared half his childhood at time in QLD and Vic. Half these guys back playing QPrem so not even a draw on the local league. It’s a moot argument.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
To'omua definitely a Brumbies product as a professional, but I remember him being a massive loss for QLD when he signed with Canberra back in 2007/08.

Did all his schooling in QLD and came through the old National Talent Squad, was earmarked as a future Wallaby early on.

I think he did more than 'grew up' in QLD, he played a bunch of schoolboy rep footy and was definitely one that got away.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

To'omua definitely a Brumbies product as a professional, but I remember him being a massive loss for QLD when he signed with Canberra back in 2007/08.

Did all his schooling in QLD and came through the old National Talent Squad, was earmarked as a future Wallaby early on.

I think he did more than 'grew up' in QLD, he played a bunch of schoolboy rep footy and was definitely one that got away.
Ex BSHS from memory

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The Reds are broke??
made a profit last year but that got eaten up paying previous years debts I expect.
Evidence?
-Ballymore left to decay due to lack of funds apparently
-U20 academy program stagnated. No games this year where as southern states toured and played
-Crowd numbers at Lang Park don't cover the costs of hiring the venue.
-Player registration fees are exorbitant compared to AFL / Soccer / League for juniors.

If it wasn't for the generous sponsors and philanthropy we would be having different discussions.

Hanham and crew have done an awesome job in turning around what they inherited and should be commended but the truth is a lot of flush seasons need to put back to back.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

I get that, but that’s like claiming LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) if you are NSW. The lines are so blurred for what everyone wants to claim for themselves