• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Seasons 20/21/22

Three years, three seasons.

We can argue semantics as much as you want - but my point was that the 2020 Reds team came on leaps and bounds with a core playing group of guys who have come through the QRU system - the same as the blokes currently playing for the Tahs.

And in the same way after SRAU 2020, 6 of those uncapped Reds went on to play for the Wallabies. Similar to how a number of the Tahs guys are going to get a cap either this year or next year, you would think.

The situations are quite similar.
Ok mate, just say you meant 2020, 3 years ago is 2019. I still stand by the comment that it's coaching, culture and grit that are vastly different when comparing the teams, not squad makeup.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water, I'd be wanting to explore why the Reds for two seasons in a row, were the best Australian team but capitulated against the Kiwi teams.

The Reds this season where not as good as last year, but they did get the results in the end. So, obviously something worked, why didn't it work against the Kiwis and what are they doing about it next year.

I feel some of the post game interviews Tate and Thorn have given could be shuffled around from multiple games and you wouldn't be able to say what interview comes from which game.
Keep Thorn in an executive role and get someone in with some fresh ideas.

Having said that, I'd only advocate something like that if the coaching talent is available and given there are 0 coaching pathways in Aus that seems unlikely.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Keep Thorn in an executive role and get someone in with some fresh ideas.

Having said that, I'd only advocate something like that if the coaching talent is available and given there are 0 coaching pathways in Aus that seems unlikely.

Knowing we're not a rich sport, I'd probably be getting the Wallabies coaches more hands on with the clubs.

Thorn isn't experienced like Jake White, Eddie Jones or Knuckles to be in the executive/director role. So, I'd be doing more to support the current coaching crop.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My Apologies, from now on 2022 - 2020 can now be 3 on this forum when discussing the reds performance

1 = 2020
2 = 2021
3 = 2022

The Count.jpg

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To add to the coaching discussion: a disfunctional set piece is surely a coaching issue?

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To add to the coaching discussion: a disfunctional set piece is surely a coaching issue?
Coaching, recruitment, injury issue.

Losing BPA in the off-season meant hooker was always going to be the weakest position in the squad, then losing 4 hookers and 3 THP’s too injury just exacerbated that.

They been said, Fotuaika, Hoopert and Zander haven’t really improved in past 2 seasons.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thorn to leave the Reds this year and taking a NRL Redcliffe Dolphins coaching roll.
Unreliable source
Either way , I cant wait until Thorn is gone.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thorn to leave the Reds this year and taking a NRL Redcliffe Dolphins coaching roll.
Unreliable source

That has been a rumour sitting ready in waiting for 12 months. Even I could have started it. Ignore it unless some meat appears on the bones.
Making this statement seems silly.

Because this
I can't wait to get of our competent coaching team and go back to the good old days of finishing last or second last. /s

BUT, Sully, competent for what? Are they competent for building (quickly) to wins against NZ Super teams? In spite everything I don't see evidence for this. We have certainly had stability and improved out of the gutter we were in. Something we should all respect Thorn for.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't be considering the options.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unreliable source
Off topic... Did you play W:et?

On topic

I reckon thorns done a great job given where we were. We dominated the Aus conference playing a nz game plan.

We just lose to the kiwi teams coz we are basically a really really bad kiwi side.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No surprise the losses coincided with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Tupou injuries. I definitely wouldn’t sack Thorn for 2023 based on that.

Has 2023 to show improvement and then his contract is up anyway.

IS it good enough to accept that a win is beyond us when two players are down? Two of our most valued 4-5 players t be fair, but still.