• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Take 1

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jordie P for Wobs 15. Dude is playing out of his skin.
Need to send him to train with an AFL coach on taking kicks for a few weeks though, it's his biggest liability currently.

Otherwise really impressed with his ball running this year, seems to have ditched the 50/50 passes and his ball security in contact seems better. His kicking has improved also.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I like Larkham's straight batting of all the questions the panel ask him.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I wouldn’t. Vest was fine off the bench. Doesn’t mean he’s a starting super rugby lock.
Yeah, I thought he was great in that role and that's where we should use him for now. Hopefully we'll have Jones or Blyth back to start at lock though, it'd be great to let Uru get back to his preferred position and be able to relieve Wilson well before the 80.

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
If you think Corey Toole looks fast on tv, wait till you see him live. Holy crap he is quick.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Took a look - don’t think Noah did anything wrong, Petaia just got himself in a bad position. 77:30 on the game clock if you’re interested
Yeah i looked also. I don't think Petaia put himself in a bad position, he ran into contact and it was a chop tackle by Noah that didn't look like he wrapped his arms. Which is why Petaia ended up headfirst into his neck. But they didn't show another angle so wont know.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah i looked also. I dont think Petaia put himself in a bad position at all, it was a chop tackle by Noah and didnt look like he wrapped his arms. Which is why Petaia ended up headfirst into his neck. But they didnt show another angle so wont know.
Noah went low, but it looked like Petaia jumped into it and got tilted as a result. As you said, hard to know without another angle.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Can't wait until we get a proper shot clock for these kicks
Ref raises his hand for a try behind Daugunu (11 Reds) at 26.27 meaning kick should be before 27.57 by my maths.

Nil effect on end result but possibly could have changed tactics and the game.
20230311_214621-COLLAGE.jpg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I was a bit disappointed by the end of the game, the Brumbies had a chance to kick a field goal to end the game quickly and deny the Reds a bonus point but chose to kill the ball to touch, surely from 20m out the ball would have went dead?

I am a reds fan so am happy we got a point but wonder about the "rugby brain" involved in not knowing the game situation and how to deny an opponent a chance of beating you come season's end.

Reactions: dru

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I was a bit disappointed by the end of the game, the Brumbies had a chance to kick a field goal to end the game quickly and deny the Reds a bonus point but chose to kill the ball to touch, surely from 20m out the ball would have went dead?

I am a reds fan so am happy we got a point but wonder about the "rugby brain" involved in not knowing the game situation and how to deny an opponent a chance of beating you come season's end.
They were probably all gassed. It looked like a quick and physical game

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ignore his deficiencies and he is an awesome player, possibly the best ever.

I'm guessing that I'd be include in his complaint of "having a go at Petaia". That bounce off the chest technique was frustrating.

Still, he's an exciting player.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
They were probably all gassed. It looked like a quick and physical game
They were all gassed because the ref never blew the whistle. Knocks on, forward passes, free for alls at breakdowns, repeated collapsing scrums….none of these seem to merit a whistle. On my couch I really enjoyed it but the players would have been completely gassed by the non stop effort

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whilst the officiating at times was bizarre, i enjoyed the runs of play.
I’d be interested in the statistics of the number of phases played and how many achieved 10+ from that match
I much prefer a ref who keeps his whistle in his pocket then one who blows it every chance

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
Was a pretty appalling referee performance. Reds line speed was questionable, ruck was a mess and the JOC (James O'Connor) pass for Petaia’s try was a mile forward.

Hoping the reds can get their forward pack up to scratch because their backline is pretty strong. Brums we’re strong in the forwards but lacked attacking structures when they had the ascendancy with some pretty mindless kicking.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst the officiating at times was bizarre, i enjoyed the runs of play.
I’d be interested in the statistics of the number of phases played and how many achieved 10+ from that match
I much prefer a ref who keeps his whistle in his pocket then one who blows it every chance
Agree Adam and I don’t think anyone could argue that officiating influenced the outcome too much. Both teams got away with a bit and I’d guess that was because both teams worked out early the ref was going to let the game flow.

It doesn’t always work - sometimes the ref giving too much latitude has horrible outcomes but I think it worked for the game as a spectacle last night.