• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Take 1

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thoroughly entertaining watch from a neutral's (Wallaby fan) perspective. All the big names seem to stand up

Brumbies fans, how much is the crowd, or lack thereof a concern?

Looked to be well below 10k. First home game of the year, coming off 2 fantastic away wins, one over your rivals the other over the competition favourites, and up against your other rivals who you've got a lot of recent history against, plus on a nice night in Canberra it's hard to see circumstances being better. Unless I'm missing something?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoroughly entertaining watch from a neutral's (Wallaby fan) perspective. All the big names seem to stand up

Brumbies fans, how much is the crowd, or lack thereof a concern?

Looked to be well below 10k. First home game of the year, coming off 2 fantastic away wins, one over your rivals the other over the competition favourites, and up against your other rivals who you've got a lot of recent history against, plus on a nice night in Canberra it's hard to see circumstances being better. Unless I'm missing something?
Granted, Parliament wrapped on Thursday and isn’t sitting again until the 20th, so there’s probably only a few dozen people in town.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting comments from White about the Red’s team last night, saying they were unstructured. I watched the game again this morning and would have to agree. O’Connor come on when the forwards needed a rest and moved the play to the backs but the play was centred largely around him and only by chance did connections come off. The plays didn’t look natural. Over 25 missed tackles. Peter Ryan’s services might be needed. Line outs weren’t great either. They did ok but need to be more disciplined heading into the NZ teams.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting stats, would like to see the difference between 1st half and 2nd half
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.38.14 am.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.40.15 am.png

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting comments from White about the Red’s team last night, saying they were unstructured. I watched the game again this morning and would have to agree. O’Connor come on when the forwards needed a rest and moved the play to the backs but the play was centred largely around him and only by chance did connections come off. The plays didn’t look natural. Over 25 missed tackles. Peter Ryan’s services might be needed. Line outs weren’t great either. They did ok but need to be more disciplined heading into the NZ teams.
JOC (James O'Connor) is a brand. He looked like he was playing for himself.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - we were bad under the high ball which is frustrating. Petaia and O’Connor both dropped kicks and are normally good in the air.

Our line out has been an Achilles heel for years. I know we have a number of injured locks out and Brumbies line out is a real strength, but we had Smith, Uru, Wright and Wilson on the field. We should have been able to do better.

Little things hurt us too.
- Wilson overrunning McReight when he was through the hole
- Fa’agase getting held up
- Petaia putting the ball out on the full
- Paisami offside on the kick chase

Overall pretty happy though. Brumbies are one of the standard setters and I thought they played pretty well. We aren’t too far off them - but we can’t afford many close losses in this comp

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Petaia will have better games under the highball. He's been the best Aussie FB in the comp so far. I prefer Wright on the wing.
Interesting thing there though was I thought Campbell was excellent when he came on and Petaia appeared to have moved to the wing when he played his best rugby yesterday. It’ll be interesting what they do next week.

I’m certainly not against them continuing with Petaia at 15, but Campbell made a good case for the spot

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting thing there though was I thought Campbell was excellent when he came on and Petaia appeared to have moved to the wing when he played his best rugby yesterday. It’ll be interesting what they do next week.

I’m certainly not against them continuing with Petaia at 15, but Campbell made a good case for the spot
Campbell 15, Petaia 14, Daugunu 11, Vunivalu 23

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Stats are misleading at times. Reds scrum went down every time they started going backwards without consequence….clever management of a weak scrum suggesting the Heeno influence is coming through.