• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, round 4, Saturday 7 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can someone tell me who Marto's spray "I can't believe he was ever a wallaby" was aimed at?

That was directed at CFS wasn't it? After dropping the pass from Taps. Was a bit harsh in my opinion. Marto does seem to have random no filter moments where he just says whatever.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For the first time ever I left a Reds home game early last night. I do regret it, but they're pretty much the reverse Harlem Globetrotters at this point.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For the first time ever I left a Reds home game early last night. I do regret it, but they're pretty much the reverse Harlem Globetrotters at this point.

I don't blame you. Was a nightmare to watch. Absolutely the polar opposite of the Reds plated up in the '10-'12 days.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
From a Tahs fan, there was a fair bit to like about that (and yes, I agree it was a rubbish game).

They are certainly trying to play that fast, expansive game with aggression at the breakdown and in defence that worked so well last year, and broadly it worked, let down of course by the awful handling. The defence was 100% better than the last two games, which conceded eight tries, and was getting back to where it was last year. The scrum seems to be improving, and clearly got the ascendency on the Reds. As many here have said, they could have put on 50 but for the woeful handing, but they created the opportunities to do so, which is positive.

Individually, both props had fine games, both in the scrum and around the paddock, and I thought Palu was good. Phipps is getting better, although still not back to last year's form, and both Foley and Beale were very good. Carraro mad the most of his opportunity, and Betham looked excellent with the ball so long as someone tells him never to kick again!

On the negative side, way, way too much ball dropped, both in contact and on the run. I think Potgeiter coughed it up at least four times, Folau three times, and TPN, Skelton, Phipps and others were also guilty. Another thing that Cheika needs to address is the dumb penalties, of which there were way too many (particularly among the bench players). The Reds were gifted the position for the try following stupidity, first by Nayarovaro (okay, I have no idea how to spell it) and then Ryan putting their brains in neutral and giving away two penalties in a row. Both these issues, the handing and the penalties, are about remaining mentally switched on for the eighty minutes, and that's what now needs addressing.

As to the Reds, they were just awful. I thought Thompson was the only person in a red jumper who looked the goods on the night. The front row got smashed, Gill tried hard but with little effect, Genia is still not back to form, Frisby has no idea of 10 and it is really unfair trying to have him learn it at this level, the centres were ineffectual and JOC (James O'Connor) just couldn't get into the game. The loss of key players is really hurting them, and particular Cooper, who they desparately need as they have no plan B at 10.

Finally, I really hope Lachey Turner is okay. Great guy and good player who has been belted by injury (the Ben Tune syndrome), lets hope all is well and he's back soon.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That was directed at CFS wasn't it? After dropping the pass from Taps. Was a bit harsh in my opinion. Marto does seem to have random no filter moments where he just says whatever.

Well it wasn't the greatest pass so I thought it might have been at Taps.
i prefer to think Marto has random filtered moments when he doesn't say whatever first comes into his head - but they're getting randomer (sic).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surprised nobody has mention the two biggest issues for the reds last night, both second rowers were awful.

They couldn't trust the scrum or lineout so couldn't even revert to the Force kicking+set piece game plan.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well it wasn't the greatest pass so I thought it might have been at Taps.
i prefer to think Marto has random filtered moments when he doesn't say whatever first comes into his head - but they're getting randomer (sic).

I think that Marto's filtering process has been offline for some time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Surprised nobody has mention the two biggest issues for the reds last night, both second rowers were awful.

They couldn't trust the scrum or lineout so couldn't even revert to the Force kicking+set piece game plan.

Even in the dark days of Hickey/Foley our set piece held up. I think the Reds are now entering Matt Williams territory. (Which isn't that good for Australian rugby)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

They were 3rd and maybe 5th choice options so maybe a little harsh on them, but agreed that they struggled against Skelton and Dennis.

T

TOCC

You don't just play the whistle but there is simply no basis for thinking that KB (Kurtley Beale) had any idea that Turner was badly (is he?) injured. If you expect players to stop for things they might have seen we're going to be in trouble.
The Darwin thing is in a different league because he called "Mayday" so there could be no doubt.
I am one of KB (Kurtley Beale)'s harshest critics but i cannot believe this line.

I wasn't talking about Beale, I would have to watch that play again to see what happened there... It was in reply to BH's comment who said in professional sport the referee decides when to stop play, I don't agree.. If someone is injured or at risk of injury you don't play on for the sake of playing the whistle if they are in the area of the play.
The referee doesn't see everything, players are the first to identify injuries as they hear a crack, a snap, or a scream of pain in the collision or contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It absolutely and completely amazes me that Graham cops all the blame and no one, and I mean absolutely no one nentions the work the backs coach does. Do you guys even know his name?

T

TOCC

Sully, plenty of people have mentioned Meehans name... But ultimately RG is the head coach and he is responsible for his assistant coaches.. If he identified deficiencies in assistant coach in 2014 or even during the NRC he should have taken steps to fix that or replace him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think both should go but when you make a change mid season only one person will ever get the chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.