• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs Round 5 - 2016 Super Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If both teams play like they did on the weekend I think the Reds are in with a good shot. If Foley is back for the Tahs then they should offer much more.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
My (somewhat radical) selections

Robinson (assuming he's fit)
Latu
Robertson
Mumm
Lousi
Hanigan
Hooper (c)
Holloway
Phipps
Foley (assuming he's fit)
Carraro
Beale
Horne
Guildford
Folau

Res:
Roach
Tilse
Ryan
Skelton
Dennis
Dempsey
Lucas
Robinson

If Benn Robbo is still not fit, Ryan to start, Ta'avao onto the bench. If Foley's not fit, Beale to 10, Horwitz to 12

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Obviously no real changes to the Reds other than the potential return of Gill (straight in for Setu I assume), Slipper (onto the bench for Paraka I reckon) and Saia (onto the bench for Mafi).

Those are just possible changes. I can't see anything else happening, although I remain unconvinced about Ant at 12. Just not sure we have an alternative at the moment.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously no real changes to the Reds other than the potential return of Gill (straight in for Setu I assume), Slipper (onto the bench for Paraka I reckon) and Saia (onto the bench for Mafi).

Those are just possible changes. I can't see anything else happening, although I remain unconvinced about Ant at 12. Just not sure we have an alternative at the moment.

Assuming all 3 (slipper Gill and Saia) are fit, I'd start them all straight up. Run them until outa puff then replace them, early in second half.

These 2 blokes, I mean 3 are fundamental to the resurgence continuing. Two of them are inspirational type of players that have the unique ability to lift others around them. Reckon Simmo will be keen to hand back the captaincy duties.:)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My (somewhat radical) selections

Robinson (assuming he's fit)
Latu
Robertson
Mumm
Lousi
Hanigan
Hooper (c)
Holloway
Phipps
Foley (assuming he's fit)
Carraro
Beale
Horne
Guildford
Folau

Res:
Roach
Tilse
Ryan
Skelton
Dennis
Dempsey
Lucas
Robinson

If Benn Robbo is still not fit, Ryan to start, Ta'avao onto the bench. If Foley's not fit, Beale to 10, Horwitz to 12
Disappointed with your lack of loyalty, Froggy. I definitely think Palu & Ta'avao deserve another run. But clearly some Tah supporters unhappy with both Beale & Folau, so maybe time to give them a rest.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I feel for Palu a bit, has been a good servant of the tahs and, at his best, an outstanding loose forward. However, as I said in another thread, he's in his 30's, a big man with a long history of injuries. This is professional sport, we need to look to the future, and that's what Holloway, Dempsey and Hanigan are. The alternative was to leave Dennis out, and no doubt you would have been just as scathing of my lack of loyalty. At the end of the day, I think the last 25 minutes against the Landers showed where our future lies.

As to Ta'avao, I don't see any loyalty issue there. He was a poor buy, and the only thing he seems to bring to the table is penalties.

By the way, I am not remotely unhappy with Beale or Folau. I think Beale has been one of our best this season, probably just behind Hooper and Phipps (and perhaps Holloway), and has stepped into Foley's role admirably in every aspect but goal-kicking. Folau probably hasn't had the start to the season he would like, but is still the best attacking back in Australian rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry Froggy - my comments were tongue in cheek. I should have used the emoticon. I was trying to suggest that retaining Palu & Ta'avao, and dropping Beale & Folau would help Qlds cause.

I always rated Palu - but time and injuries seem to have taken their toll. Mainly, I would rather Holloway not make it on the field. As for Beale & Folau - I was poking fun at your fellow Tahs supporters, a few of which have questioned their form.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Disappointed with your lack of loyalty, Froggy. I definitely think Palu & Ta'avao deserve another run. But clearly some Tah supporters unhappy with both Beale & Folau, so maybe time to give them a rest.

Beale and Folau. What a bunch of no-hopers. :)

But seriously, Beale's form has been excellent.

Folau is warming up.

Reactions: TSR

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Planning on heading out this weekend. Hot and wet doesn't really appeal to me but it should be a competitive game.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
That's where you really want Gill back in the side, to win some breakdown penalties and go for the corner. Doesn't matter who wins the lineout, somebody will probably fumble the wet ball near the line. Nek minnit, penalty try!

Or else the Tahs run out of props again and go uncontested.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Will be interesting to see what the crowd does this weekend.

Reds are showing improvement! - that's good!
Reds crowds have been quite small lately - that's bad.
But Reds vs Tahs traditionally pull big crowds! - that's good.
Its on Easter Sunday, so a lot of people will be away on holidays - that's bad.
But it's an arvo game! - that's good!
The forecast is hot and rainy - that's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.