• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs, Rnd 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Time to look forward.

Tough side the Cheetahs and both sides will be looking to redeem from last weekend.

How is this game going to play out?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Time to look forward.

Tough side the Cheetahs and both sides will be looking to redeem from last weekend.

How is this game going to play out?

Both packs are going to belt each other. I hope we learnt our lesson in brutality on Saturday. Once we get on the front foot we'll score tries.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quade's kicking is the best it has been. No need to replace him. Happy to have Harris back for the defensive starch. Would be happy to Turner moved to full back and Toua onto the wing. I like Toua but he seems a bit shakey in defense. No disrespect meant as a player with his injury run would be. I would like to see him find his feet on the wing and opt for the safe hands at FB. Actually let's cut Genias over-inflted head back down to size and start Frisby. He is more than capable. No need to change the pack, just learn the lessons.

We do miss that inside of Cooper impact runner that Digby used to provide. Shipperly is strong in contact and direct, so he needs to get more involved and fill this role which has been a staple of the Reds game.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Mike Harris is still injured, I would be happy to still have Taps and Ant in the centres, just have them as 12 and 13 respectively, instead of how they arranged them on Saturday night.

I also would be happy if Toua stayed at fullback again - just pepper him with bombs at training until it is no longer a weakness, but a strength. If he is supposed to be a fullback then just keep him there.

If Mike is fit, then he should be 12 again, with either Taps or Ant at 13 (I am honestly unsure between those two at the moment).

CFS to stay on the bench.

The forward pack probably should stay the same (as someone above said), it has been a good pack in the past and I am sure it can be again.

Red cordial prior to the match.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Quade's kicking is the best it has been. No need to replace him.

I wish I shared your confidence in this department. Quade kicking at his "best" is still a 70-75% kicker and I still get the shits every time he goes up to the tee.

The calls for Quade to kick from the distances and angles that he was getting called on by Horwill against the Brumbies needs to just disappear from the Reds' playbook entirely.

Speaking of Quade's kicking..who else noticed that he's started doing the dance with his arms again? Thought it was odd that he's brought it back into his routine, he seemed to be more successful without it over the past year.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Nothing tough about this Cheetahs side. They are a shadow of what they were last year.

The miss Ebersohn at 12. He organised attack and defense. They are a total mess without him.

They need to decide who plays 10. There is no plan as to when Willie comes into ten. It's "Willie" nilly.

The pack beat the living crap out of people at the breakdown last year. They have been pussies for three rounds now. Where's the fire gone?

Reds will walk this with their eyes closed and if they don't there should be huge question marks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, not time to panic just yet. We have a very good record v the Cheetahs and I expect us to maintain it again this weekend.

But, I think we need to look at some more impact from our team. At the moment its really only Quade and some flashes from Aidos that's doing it for us.

I'd be considering starting Beau pretty soon if it doesn't change. Even elevating Browning to the bench. I'd look at Dales coming in to start at 1 as well with Hanson a good option too.

CFS into the centres too.

Possibly Rocket on the wing, or even Kurindrani soon.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me there are 7 "big" players at the Reds

Horwill, Cooper, Genia, Saia, slipper, simmons and Gill

The first 3 are probably due some criticism due to underperformance. Watched a game from 2011 when genia was sniping, making plenty of metres, keeping a defence guessing, QC (Quade Cooper) was the same - Horwill was the "mongrel" making 10 - 15 metres and being a very hard man.

we need the big 3 to fire up and THIS week

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I wouldn't be questioning Quade. I think he has performed well. Hard to do his thing when his pack is getting belted.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yeah, not time to panic just yet. We have a very good record v the Cheetahs and I expect us to maintain it again this weekend.

But, I think we need to look at some more impact from our team. At the moment its really only Quade and some flashes from Aidos that's doing it for us.

I'd be considering starting Beau pretty soon if it doesn't change. Even elevating Browning to the bench. I'd look at Dales coming in to start at 1 as well with Hanson a good option too.

CFS into the centres too.

Possibly Rocket on the wing, or even Kurindrani soon.

Daley was on roller skates when he came on, the reds have two wingers playing that don't beat defenders one on one regularly, that needs to change

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Thought the lads lacked punch in forwards on the weekend...I would be looking towards bringing a forward onto the bench who can add some more dynamic play. I am not sure if that means bringing mcduling or browning into the fold?
But I would probably be looking to bringing Albert Anae in as well.
Backs wise i think Fainga'a is a good player but if yoru gonna have him in the centres with taps they have to swap around. I thought Fainga'a attackign positioning lacked on the weekend. I don't think the attack fired in general but it don't think Fainga'a is the 12 to help things along.
He also defended surprisingly poor on the weekend by his standards, Beale made him look silly a few times.
However I defintely feel as if saturday was more down to attitude rather than the teams talent. I am sure things will improve.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ladies Day on Friday:

Reds Ladies Round is being celebrated with the creation of a specially designed jersey for this Friday’s match. The jersey features pinked versions of the collar, trim, Reds logo and the iconic Queensland Rugby ‘Q’. The shirts will also include the individualised names of each of the player’s mothers on the back of their jersey, below the playing number.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be questioning Quade. I think he has performed well. Hard to do his thing when his pack is getting belted.
Tiger - sort of agree but I remeber him making some breaks most games - the half chance - nowdays he seems to only be looking at the wide flat cut out pass

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Daley was on roller skates when he came on, the reds have two wingers playing that don't beat defenders one on one regularly, that needs to change

If you're talking about Turner - couldn't agree more. One of the best thngs I think the Tahs did was let him go.

I remember watching his play in 2011 and wondering how he DIDN'T actually score a couple of tries. Is meant to be the fastest footballer in the country (yeah, I know it was a few years back, he's been injured etc etc but you get the point) but seems to get chased down or muscled out or whatever. Just doesn't seem like a finisher to me and if he doesn't finish, I'm not sure what his real value is.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
If you're talking about Turner - couldn't agree more. One of the best thngs I think the Tahs did was let him go.

I remember watching his play in 2011 and wondering how he DIDN'T actually score a couple of tries. Is meant to be the fastest footballer in the country (yeah, I know it was a few years back, he's been injured etc etc but you get the point) but seems to get chased down or muscled out or whatever. Just doesn't seem like a finisher to me and if he doesn't finish, I'm not sure what his real value is.

To be fair, he's scored two tries from two Super Rugby games for the Reds so his finishing doesn't seem to be the issue so far.

I fully take your point though, I had a similar impression of him previously, but it was probably a result of having to play outside Tommy "Slow-Motion-Man" Carter, among other things.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Both actual, I see Shipperly and Turner the same "type" fast, good work rate and defensively sound; but not great one on one when it comes to beating a defender.

Value? same as Howlett (who I would put in the same pigeon hole) while they work their arses off chasing and defending, a valuable member of the team, but for balance I would only play one.

Status
Not open for further replies.