• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Chiefs -Suncorp Stadium 13 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Time to start the match thread I thought.

Discussions to the big questions

-Will Ben Lucas have to shave his head to stitch his cut?
-Will Higgers finally ditch the Ashton Kutcher look?
- Does Rod Davies actually have the brain capacity to not look like he's going to explode in confusion when he gets the ball?
- How many females will squeel everytime Dom "Ladies Man" Shipperely gets the ball?

These are the big questions people.

But on a serious note, how badly are Ben Daley and Beau Robinsons injuries?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Robinson was meant to only miss the 1 game. So I think we'll be back at full strength other than Quade.

Given the Brumbies have managed to avoid both the Crusaders and Stormers in the draw this year, I think every game from here on in is a must win for the Reds.

W

What2040

Tiger, to answer your serious questions:
1. No and playing after just about having ear ripped off - was stitched at half time
2. Shit I wish he would - friggin horrible look - suites a european poofball star
3. Nah - he has already provan that point
4. Heaps

Don't know about Beau but hear Daley back run-on for Holmes

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I need some help to solve a small problem. Being that it's mothers day on Sunday how do I convince my wife that to celebrate her bringing my 2 wonderful kids into the world she should let me sit down and watch the Reds play the Chiefs?

A

andyq

I need some help to solve a small problem. Being that it's mothers day on Sunday how do I convince my wife that to celebrate her bringing my 2 wonderful kids into the world she should let me sit down and watch the Reds play the Chiefs?

mention SBW??

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think you need to get the kids to work out some sort of Mothers Day gift for their mother that will use up about two hours of Sunday afternoon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Other solution is to find a friend with the same predicament and organise for both wives to go out and do something together.

Book them in for a facial and a massage or a hair appointment or something at 4pm Sunday.

Problem solved. You're welcome.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Is taking her to the game an option? It's working for me.

I''m just concerned about taking a 2yo to her first Reds game. Big moment in her life obviously. Any tips?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Is taking her to the game an option? It's working for me.

I''m just concerned about taking a 2yo to her first Reds game. Big moment in her life obviously. Any tips?

No soft drink. They only sell in the 600ml variety and you really notice the effect when you need them to sit still in the chair. I started taking my son just before his 3rd, he would start punching me in the face when the sugar kicked in.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Anyway...back to the rugby.

IMO - the Chiefs are the best side in NZ right now. They are superbly coached and have some great new talent.
Brodie Retallick will be a starting test 15 All Black this year barring injury and Cruden is in in great form.

The Reds are tough at home and look to be hitting their straps.

I can't wait.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can we shut down Sonny Bill for the full 80 mins. Did a good job on Freuan last weeekend but SBW & Kahui will be another step up.

IF there is one thing the Queensland Reds did not need, it is Sonny Bill Williams coming to Brisbane all fired up by the thought his designs on the All Blacks No 12 jersey could be thwarted by, of all people, Dan Carter.
New Zealand coach Steve Hansen, in answering fans' questions on a video released by the NZRU, admitted that five-eighth remains Carter's best position but did not rule out the possibility of the All Blacks playmaker switching to inside centre this year, especially if his ongoing groin problem
restricts his kicking.
If he is not able to fill the goalkicking role in next month's three-Test series against Ireland, Chiefs goalkicker Aaron Cruden almost certainly would slot in at five-eighth, forcing Carter to move out one position.
None of that would represent good news for Williams, who has been mounting an impressive case to play 12 for the All Blacks.
That position was filled in the World Cup final by Ma'a Nonu but he has been caught up in the Blues' seven-match losing streak and it is not inconceivable he could miss out on the All Blacks' 22-man Test squad entirely.

Williams admitted this week he was trying to trim some of the flashier elements from his game and to stick more closely to the team structures.
"I've been trying to simplify it a bit more, not try and do a special play every time I touch the ball," he told the NZ media.
"I think that's probably where I've improved this year."
Of all the teams that Williams has come up against, the Reds have dealt with him more effectively than just about any other. Right from the moment Ben Lucas cut Williams's legs out from under him the first time the All Blacks juggernaut touched the ball for the Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium last year, the Reds refused to allow him to dictate terms.
The other secret of Queensland's success was that it flooded the tackle area so that when Williams threw the offload, as invariably he did last season, it more often worked to the advantage of the Reds, not the Crusaders.
Certainly the Reds intend treating him as no more than one of many Chiefs threats.
"There was a big deal made about Sonny when we played the Crusaders last year but all you have to do is tackle low and make sure you do your best to stop the offload and I guess you nullify that threat," Reds general Will Genia said. Indeed, Genia rates Cruden who, like Williams, has made a successful inter-provincial switch to the Chiefs this season, as the greater danger.
"He's their playmaker. He's the one that controls the game and pulls the strings," Genia said.
"We just have to make sure we watch him and do our homework on him.
"He's obviously taken a lot of confidence from the World Cup last year and now he's playing exceptionally well. He's got the luxury of having guys like Sonny Bill and (Richard) Kahui and (Lelia) Masaga outside him, which would make any team's job a lot easier. That's not to take any credit away from him."
The Reds, who need to start a six-match winning streak at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday against the Chiefs if they are to make certain of qualifying for the Super Rugby finals, will not have forgotten how Cruden derailed their seven-match winning streak last May.
Playing then for the Hurricanes, Cruden ignored some vigorous sledging from the Queenslanders to land a pressure penalty goal right on full-time to earn his side a 28-26 win over the eventual champions and then celebrated by rushing up to Reds captain James Horwill and tousling his hair

Status
Not open for further replies.