• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Crusaders Super Rugby Rd11 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I'm happy with that team. Is that the strongest team the Reds have been able to name so far this year?

Yep. Id say so.

Lots of forwards on the bench.
PLEASE no more injuries; eough is enough.

I agree, Radike is a a bit surplus on the bench with AWH, and Quirk. However with so many backs out - it's hard to know who is left and therefor what they would bring to the table..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
My concern would be Fruean is big, and quick footed, so if the defensive alignment goes a bit awry, he could cause havoc, as he does not need much space to get away. If Ant gets it just right, it might be the way to close him down. We'll see.
An unbrella defence would be the go in this one. Ant is know stranger to Fruen which will help. Reds backs all good tacklers in the current backline.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An unbrella defence would be the go in this one. Ant is know stranger to Fruen which will help. Reds backs all good tacklers in the current backline.
They may be. Barnes, Carter (usually), Horne (at actual tackling, not so much in defensive structure), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc are good tacklers. It's the combination that is key, for example the umbrella you talk about. Certainly safer than a single rusher. But beware the dual Taylor / Carter combo who might unpick an umbrella defence with some clever kicks with some seriously good chasers.
As I said earlier, it will be fascinating to see how Ewen and the Reds go about this.
Some good matches this weekend.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
But beware the dual Taylor / Carter combo who might unpick an umbrella defence with some clever kicks with some seriously good chasers.
An area of concern to me regarding the Reds is their lack of desire to chase.
In one game last year, Morahan's first at S15 I think, he chased a kick from the 22m & scored a solo try, through putting in the hard yards.
It seems to me the backs are a bit lazy in this department, & I hope the coaching staff might have addressed the problem

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Trying to figure out the massive change in Davies game, he just seems so unsure at times. He used to be bloody fearless so I wonder whether the Samoa game kicked his confidence to the kerb or he is playing with some sort of niggle?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Reds need to be wary of over committing to the breakdown. The Crusaders are the masters of knowing when to flood and when to step back and organise. You don't often see teams run around them to score. Aussie teams seem to be focusing too much on slowing the ball down and attempting to steal. I'm tipping the Red's to play well but Saders to win it in a close one.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
An area of concern to me regarding the Reds is their lack of desire to chase.
In one game last year, Morahan's first at S15 I think, he chased a kick from the 22m & scored a solo try, through putting in the hard yards.
It seems to me the backs are a bit lazy in this department, & I hope the coaching staff might have addressed the problem
The only way I can figure it is they've been told not to chase. I've even seen them stop chasing with 15m to go.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The only way I can figure it is they've been told not to chase. I've even seen them stop chasing with 15m to go.

Whatever else it is, an efficient chase can't afford to be a rabble and crazy scramble of players just converging from everywhere or back up defensive structures if possession is lost fails and the opposition's attack then progresses all too well. Chasing excellence requires lots of pre planned team tactical work, intensive rehearsals, etc. If that's not happening to the requisite degree, you get ineffective random scrambles as chases, or passivity as no one knows if they should rush forward in the chase, or not.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I think they've been told to build a wall 15 meters out, so whoever picks up the ball assesses the situation, and will kick it out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think the Reds are a damn good chance in this game. They played bloody well against the Blues and though that team is an easy beat this year, to date, it was a good effort.

The early blitz was back to the good old days of last year and the lineout steals in the 1st half cut a few balls off the Blues. :) The Reds own lineout throwing faltered in the 2nd half as did their scrum but Holmes should make a difference at scrum time on Sunday. I also liked the low tackling and the 2nd man coming into fetch.

The Crusaders shipped 33 points to the Tahs last week and in some parts of the game did not look like the old Saders. Take Freuan out of that game and they would have looked worse. The Tahs got lost on defence in the midfiled but the Reds defensive effort should feature using Ant as a shooter and work around that. By contrast the Tahs were too much on their heels and Freuan pigged out.

The Tahs denied the gain line to the Saders in the 1st half last week and the Reds should do the same by sending shooters out near the ruck and, when things are favourable, have a 2nd or 3rd guy counter rucking to at least slow the use of Saders' ball. The Saders put their shorts on one leg at a time like anybody else and slow ball is slow ball. The Reds were a bit tardy against the Blues and lost the ruck hit.

Mind you don't flood every ruck, for obvious reasons: part of the success of the Highlanders this year has been because of exquisite choices of when to flood and when not.

And kick some goals.

C

Cave Dweller

W

What2040

Terrific odds at about 5.30: 1 for the Reds (TAB). In a 2 horse race, big odds so couldn't help myself and took a Ton on Reds.

Go you good things !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sold out tiny Stadium or not, the Reds are now the Crusaders bogey-side (undefeated this decade) and are almost back to full strength.

I think this will be much closer than the TAB are suggesting.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really pissed off I'll miss this live due to rep rugby training, too dedicated for my own good. Will watch the replay.

Go the Saders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.