• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Crusaders Super Rugby Rd11 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

Gill and Beau are good - Gill is an exceptional fetcher, Beau has the mongrel - Quirky, although not a fetcher, has plenty of mongrel and is also bigger than Beau. My only criticism of Gill and Beau is that often they don't get over that magical advantage line - maybe Ed would be a bit more successful than Beau - in that area

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'm a fan but i prefer Schatz in this one. Quirks not done enough in his admittedly limited chances this season and think the Crusaders forward pack would really find him out. With no Robbo its quite an inexperienced and young back row in general. Bit leftfield call but has AWH ever played 6? He was quite solid and physical when he came on. Think experience could be very important.

T

tranquility

I reckon AWH could play 6 at a pinch. But we look so much better with a mobile pack. I am really looking to get Saia back on the paddock, he is so good at this level and really complements the way we play. Quirk / Shatz doesn't really bother me as they are both massove talents. I just think Quirk deserves a chance to show what he can do, he is a really strong carry, rugged defender and a great counter-rucker. He is also more than capable at line-out time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Personally I've thought Shatzie has looked so much better coming off the bench this year? Eddie Quirk hasn't really had chances yet, but thise who have seen him play for U20's or Easts know what he is capable of. I'm happy with either Shatz or Quirk at 6 but the one off the bench should get atleast 20-25 minutes.

Also do we stick with a 5:2 split? Bringing in Samo seems a bit pointless, would rather see Higgers and Gill play 80minutes.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would daresay that Blackadder will bring Richie in off the bench again this week. If the way he has handled Dagg and Carter are anything to go by, Richie won't get a start for a few weeks. This will be an absolute pain for us, as we will have to deal with a fresh Richie McCaw in the last 20-25.

For that reason, I agree with some of the boys here. Quirk start at 6, Higgers at 8, with Schatz to come on later in the game. Hopefully our defensive line will stiffen right up with Ant back starting.

I really don't want to comment on the ref for this one, as the Tahs and Brumbies fans will jump all over me, after my gentle prodding re Kaplan and Walsh. I will say though that Bryce is usually bad for both sides, so it evens out.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would daresay that Blackadder will bring Richie in off the bench again this week. If the way he has handled Dagg and Carter are anything to go by, Richie won't get a start for a few weeks. This will be an absolute pain for us, as we will have to deal with a fresh Richie McCaw in the last 20-25.

For that reason, I agree with some of the boys here. Quirk start at 6, Higgers at 8, with Schatz to come on later in the game. Hopefully our defensive line will stiffen right up with Ant back starting.

I really don't want to comment on the ref for this one, as the Tahs and Brumbies fans will jump all over me, after my gentle prodding re Kaplan and Walsh. I will say though that Bryce is usually bad for both sides, so it evens out.
Gentle prodding? More like wishing biblical plague upon us.
Taking form over the last few rounds, not just against the stellar Blues side into account, the Crusaders would be very warm favourites. But the Reds get a fillip with Genia re-signed, Ant Fainga'a back ( and he'll be tested by Fruean) and a bit of confidence. They will need aggressive breakdown work, which is one of the things the Tahs did well on Sunday, and a lot of concentration at scrum time, which I think the Crusaders will target a bit of an opportunity.
I think the Reds could sneak it, but common sense says they'll be a little short. Should be an engrossing game.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Crusaders too strong all across the park. Expect the Crusaders forwards to get on top as the Reds forward pack has been far from impressive this year. Expect Carter and Taylor to have a lot of front foot ball and their (along with Dagg at the back) tactical kicking game, focusing on playing the game in the Reds half, could cause major dramas for the Reds who will field a likely back 3 of Shipperley, Ioane (assuming A Fainga'a starts) and Morahan - none of them renowned for their kicking game. Quite surprised to see a number of people saying that the Reds "have turned the corner" after the win against the Blues. Are the Blues of 2012 really an accurate yardstick to be measured against?! Crusaders by 10 - 15.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Whatever happens this weekend, we need to at least pickup a bonus point. The more bonus points we can accumulate, the easier an already hard road to the finals will be.

T

tranquility

Crusaders too strong all across the park. Expect the Crusaders forwards to get on top as the Reds forward pack has been far from impressive this year. Expect Carter and Taylor to have a lot of front foot ball and their (along with Dagg at the back) tactical kicking game, focusing on playing the game in the Reds half, could cause major dramas for the Reds who will field a likely back 3 of Shipperley, Ioane (assuming A Fainga'a starts) and Morahan - none of them renowned for their kicking game. Quite surprised to see a number of people saying that the Reds "have turned the corner" after the win against the Blues. Are the Blues of 2012 really an accurate yardstick to be measured against?! Crusaders by 10 - 15.

Moz has a pretty decent punt on him fairly consistently.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Moz has a pretty decent punt on him fairly consistently.

I must confess to not having seen much of him other than in Super Rugby, but I certainly haven't seen him kick the ball much. Particularly this year....he hasn't exactly come across as a solid, 'consistent' performer.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Like a few others, I can't see us getting over the line on this one. Would be over the moon with a bonus point.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Channel 9 news in Brisbane last night said it was 3 weeks until QC (Quade Cooper) returned.
But then, what do they know.
they had a Rugby story??? I am stunned, they rarely get on air which is dissapointing as I believe Andrew Slack is the director of Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.