• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds Vs Tahs pre-season trial, Roma 12/02/22 @ 7:30pm

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Kick off at 7:30 pm (AEST) with the reds streaming this one. Looks like O'Connor, Campbell and Petaia are all clear to play. Paisami and Mcdermott still out:

In better news for the Queenslanders, they will travel with coach Brad Thorn, who will be out of isolation. James O’Connor, Jordan Petaia and Jock Campbell are also likely to play after shedding the virus. No one else in the playing group has been affected.

On the tahs side of things Coleman has said his starting side will be his preferred round 1 starting side.

Screenshot_20220210-074837.png

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also keen to see if they include any Hookers other than Nasser and Blake, this will be the last chance to take a look at any fringe options before the season starts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mafi back.

Queensland Reds v New South Wales Waratahs, Roma Rugby Union Club, Gallas Fox Park, kick-off 7:30pm AEST:
  1. Dane Zander – Norths
  2. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
  3. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
  4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
  6. Liam Wright (c) – Easts
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland
  10. James O’Connor – Brothers
  11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Josh Flook – Brothers
  14. Jordan Petaia – Wests
  15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
Reserves
  1. Alex Mafi – Bond University
  2. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
  4. Seru Uru – Wests
  5. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
  6. Spencer Jeans* – Bond University
  7. Floyd Aubrey* – GPS
  8. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland
  9. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  10. Lawson Creighton* – Brothers
  11. Taj Annan* – Easts

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good to see Mafi back and Creighton getting a run. I assume we'll see Petaia shift to 15 at some point but if Vunivalu is out for the start of the season then Petaia's proper transition to 15 might wait until he's back. Also looks like Blyth might have pushed back past Smith as a starting lock, good to see the competition there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have you heard talk of Vunivalu being out for a while?

Blyth is interesting. I again think he looked off the pace last week, while Smith was at his physical best. As you say, competition is fantastic regardless.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Have you heard talk of Vunivalu being out for a while?

Blyth is interesting. I again think he looked off the pace last week, while Smith was at his physical best. As you say, competition is fantastic regardless.
Nothing concrete recently, but there's this from November:
Cordingley also said winger Suliasi Vunivalu would be fit to return in the "early rounds" of next season after his latest hamstring setback proved to be a significant one.

Wouldn't be amazed to see him in round 1, but given he hasn't been named in either trial it seems like the timeline hasn't changed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No real surprises there, besides McDermott and Tupou coming into the starting side, that's the XV I expect we will see round 1. Although Thorn eased Tupou off the bench in 2021, so he might do the same again this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
No real surprises there, besides McDermott and Tupou coming into the starting side, that's the XV I expect we will see round 1. Although Thorn eased Tupou off the bench in 2021, so he might do the same again this year.
You'd have to think Paisami into that round 1 starting side as well. Still not sure if it'll be for Flook or Stewart

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Background isn't great, but at least they know which way a page should be aligned.

Interesting Coleman sees Peitsch as in their best back 3, though I guess that might shift once they settle on Ramm or Newsome for Fullback. Feel like a Foketi-Perese center pairing with Peitsch on the wing will put a hell of a lot of pressure on their defensive organization early days, particularly with someone new to 15 and if Nawaqanitawase or Funa end up on the other wing.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Pity Keynan Tauakipulu not named for the Reds, could have been brother v brother with Tiaan named for the Tahs.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This trial might be a chance for Aubrey to make a surprise inclusion into the 23 for round 1, would be pretty big move for him to leapfrog Grealy. Aubrey recently named in the first junior wallabies squad, so he's showing the right things.

You'd imagine Paisami comes into the centres next week and Flook will drop back to either the bench of left-right-out. Considering they've got JOC (James O'Connor), Stewart and presumably Campbell to cover 10, they might go for some genuine outside back x-factor on the bench, which really could be one of three or four blokes.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This trial might be a chance for Aubrey to make a surprise inclusion into the 23 for round 1, would be pretty big move for him to leapfrog Grealy. Aubrey recently named in the first junior wallabies squad, so he's showing the right things.

You'd imagine Paisami comes into the centres next week and Flook will drop back to either the bench of left-right-out. Considering they've got JOC (James O'Connor), Stewart and presumably Campbell to cover 10, they might go for some genuine outside back x-factor on the bench, which really could be one of three or four blokes.
On the evidence of the last trial I'd have Grealy above Aubrey. If someone is sneaking in from this game I think Creighton might be more likely as a back up 10, though we haven't really seen any of him yet.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
On the evidence of the last trial I'd have Grealy above Aubrey. If someone is sneaking in from this game I think Creighton might be more likely as a back up 10, though we haven't really seen any of him yet.

This trial might be an indicator of whether Creighton cracks the 23, because if they give Campbell some decent minutes at flyhalf, I think Creighton misses out. I don't see much point carrying a rookie reserve flyhalf if we've got JOC (James O'Connor), Stewart and Campbell all starting the game.

You'd have to think as primary goal kicker and incumbent Super Rugby player of the year, JOC (James O'Connor) is only coming off if he gets injured, in which case you slot Stewart/Campbell straight in.

Different story if JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured though for a longer period, it may be more prudent to play Creighton there going forward.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This trial might be an indicator of whether Creighton cracks the 23, because if they give Campbell some decent minutes at flyhalf, I think Creighton misses out. I don't see much point carrying a rookie reserve flyhalf if we've got JOC (James O'Connor), Stewart and Campbell all starting the game.

You'd have to think as primary goal kicker and incumbent Super Rugby player of the year, JOC (James O'Connor) is only coming off if he gets injured, in which case you slot Stewart/Campbell straight in.

Different story if JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured though for a longer period, it may be more prudent to play Creighton there going forward.
Yeah, a lot comes down to how Campbell goes and if Creighton gets game time. Stewart is the starting 12 for mine and while he covers 10 you also want him there to help a new 10 coming in (if you're giving a guy minutes). If Stewart doesn't start then it is probably between Grealy and Aubrey for the other bench spot.

The suggestion I've heard is they want Creighton to fill a Hegarty-like role, covering 10,12 and 15.