• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Waugh and Palu are back I have no concerns about the Waratahs' capacity to match or even occassionally dominate the Reds pack. I'm not saying they will, but at least it is possible.

If the same backline as played against the Blues runs out I'm not sure that even at their best they could match the Reds backline. There are individuals who could get one over on the Reds, but as a unit I'm unconvinced. Bring in Barnes, Carter and Horne, and the equation is different. Yet again I find myself a bit pissed off at the poor planning and cover at 13 for the Waratahs (we all know the story with Horne - great player, but made of glass).

I know it is not a popular idea, but I think the Waratahs need to play a pretty tight game most of the time. They should attack the Reds lineout and scrum, and look to maul and pick and drive as a first option. Shutting down Genia and Cooper will be important - give them poor ball, move up on them with pace and of course smash them. Genia is a tough little bugger so he won't really be shut down, but at least he may be less damaging. With Cooper, if you get it right he can be shut down to some extent, but if you get it wrong he can exploit the ooportunities that throwing yourself at him can create. All in all I think it is worth the risk as he is an attacking weapon that can't be ignored (obviously targeting him in defence as much as possible is also important).

This match is important for both sides, but I think a loss would be worse for the Waratahs than for the Reds, given their relative positions on the table. If the Waratahs do manage to win I don't think it will be a big margin.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Here's hoping for both teams being at full strength. I reckon this will be a bigger test than the previous two matches for the Reds since they do struggle against the Tahs, if they can keep their form from the previous two weeks up then that holds them in good stead when they face the Blues and Crusaders.

T

TOCC

I know it is not a popular idea, but I think the Waratahs need to play a pretty tight game most of the time. They should attack the Reds lineout and scrum, and look to maul and pick and drive as a first option. Shutting down Genia and Cooper will be important - give them poor ball, move up on them with pace and of course smash them.

Pretty sure that was the same game plan of the Brumbies, Bull and Stormers against the Reds.

Scrum time NSW have ascendancy, but come the lineout, pretty sure it would be 50/50, prior to last week against the Stormers the Reds had the highest completion rate for line-outs and i think they are still either number 2 overall for winning on there own throw.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I agree to an extent, but swan dives annoy me a lot more because there is the potential to not ground the ball properly, resulting in a no try. Digby's celebration was after the try was given and was just a more interesting version of that annoying "T" symbol every dickhead with a rats tail makes after he scores.

Impressive misanthropy!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty sure that was the same game plan of the Brumbies, Bull and Stormers against the Reds.

Scrum time NSW have ascendancy, but come the lineout, pretty sure it would be 50/50, prior to last week against the Stormers the Reds had the highest completion rate for line-outs and i think they are still either number 2 overall for winning on there own throw.

The difference is the Brumbies, Bulls and Stormers lost against the Reds. I seem to remember the Waratahs won, 30-6. >:D

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have high hopes seeing how easy the Bulls pack managed to score against the Reds. If Berrick, Carter and Horne are back no more fun stuff for the Reds backs.

T

TOCC

ive got absolutely no problem with post-try celebrations as long as it my team performing them and they actually win the match ;)

The difference is the Brumbies, Bulls and Stormers lost against the Reds. I seem to remember the Waratahs won, 30-6. >:D

I think the results of that match need to be taken with a grain of salt if we are going to truly analyse it..
Reds had just played the Force in 30 degree heat in Brisbane and they only had a 5 day turnaround to the Waratahs 8 day turnaround.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Digby's break dancing has gone viral - all over the news, first up on offsiders. Will bring an extra 5000 to next weeks game i reckon just from the attention it gets.

Tahs getting better slowly but Reds at lang park will be far too strong, Those backline plays were absolutely slick last night, I brought four friends who have the english disease and they loved every moment of it.

Reds will score same amount of points. Depending on how defense goes it could be close or a romp. If the reds say no to soft tries Tahs will get rolled

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I have high hopes seeing how easy the Bulls pack managed to score against the Reds. If Berrick, Carter and Horne are back no more fun stuff for the Reds backs.

Carter is average at best and Barnes and Horne are quality, but made of glass. In addition, if the Tahs target Cooper then the Reds will just play through Harris at 12.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This will be hard for the Reds. Jet lag will truly kick in next week. The Tahs will bring their stars back as this is an '8 pnt game' for them. They have a hold over the Reds for sure, even at Suncorp. Very tough defensively in the 3/4 line which will make is hard for us. Plus the off-loading game of their pack has not been something we've had to defend against this season, since Rnd 2. Quade's goal kicking is inconsistent and now Rocket and Slipper may be out, with Hynes still unavailable.

Yep, Tahs are favourites for sure. The Reds will just have to battle on and hope that things just go our way on the night.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This will be hard for the Reds. Jet lag will truly kick in next week. The Tahs will bring their stars back as this is an '8 pnt game' for them. They have a hold over the Reds for sure, even at Suncorp. Very tough defensively in the 3/4 line which will make is hard for us. Plus the off-loading game of their pack has not been something we've had to defend against this season, since Rnd 2. Quade's goal kicking is inconsistent and now Rocket and Slipper may be out, with Hynes still unavailable.

Yep, Tahs are favourites for sure. The Reds will just have to battle on and hope that things just go our way on the night.

hahahaha, superb, simply superb.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Don't mean to be pedantic (well actually I do) it should be round 10 in the title not round 9. (Been fixed now)

Anyhoo at the moment the Reds deserve this one. They have been playing incredibly well and the 'Tahs have been aimless.

So here's hoping for an upset and the Reds get there 8th straight loss to the 'Tahs. Is that some kind of record?

T

TOCC

The Davies head clash? I still am mystified that we were penalised for that.

similar to Barnes im a little concerned by the number of head knocks that Davies suffers, there has been a number of times this season already where he seemed to be displaying symptoms of concussion.

Rd 2 after his head clash with TPN, and last night again.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Davies head knocks have been directly related to his commitment to defense, which has been much improved this season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Davies head knocks have been directly related to his commitment to defense, which has been much improved this season.

No doubting his commitment. He might want to work on technique a little - he runs into some tackles in an awful position, and is always a sitter for taking himself out. He is stronger than his frame suggests.

T

TOCC

Just remembered he almost knocked himself out in the bruising tackle against McCalman in Rd 1 against the Force as well.

Reactions: DPK
O

OLDDOG

QUOTE]

shutting down will n quade would have to be on every coaches to do list.

I just think the reds forwards are doing an amazing job this season, building from last season's efforts to keep the 9/10 service going. What I really like about the reds now is that they have three playmakers side by side in genia, coops and harris. give coops too much attention, harris does the business, and vice versa. I think the balance in the side is fantastic, link has built a "deans like" squad, who are maturing with each passing week. Ant finger at 13? fantastic! jeez that kid can tackle.
Sure they are going to eat the occasional shit sandwich and lose every now and then, but I can see this young squad going on to do the business, as long as they continue to take it one game at a time.......
as for the tahs, they have a lot of talent, but not much cohesion at present. most efficient game I've seen em play was against the reds earlier this year, but I think the reds are gonna get some payback this week. its either gonna be a tight red win, or, if they fire on all cylinders, they'll rewrite some books, can't wait.......

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs really need to make a few key changes for next week. Six things stood out for me in the Blues game:

1. That Fat Cat, TPN and Kepu have developed into a lethal front row. Baxter now becomes the ideal bench player.
  2. Mumm and Douglas have been ineffective this year and we have to make changes. Douglas played better than before he was dropped but Mumm is just not having any impact.
  3. We have to find a way to start both Mowen and Dennis with Palu.
  4. We got killed in the backs and if we'd been better there the outcome would have been very different. The Blues backs were top class last night, better than the Saders, but it would have been different with Carter shutting down McCallister and Turner on Ranger. Defensively in the backline we were passive, Carter and Horne make a huge difference because they tackle offensively and move up fast.
  5. Hangers at 12 is a huge mistake. We would have been much better with Hangers at 10, Cross at 12, Kingston at 13, Kurtley at fullback and Mitchell/Turner on the wings. Said it before the game but there's no joy in being proven right.
  6. That Beale is only a back-up/long range kicker and Barnes or Hangers must kick goals. Both kick successfully in Shute, though as soon as McKibben is on I would give him the place kicks.

This week I would like to see our best team played for obvious reasons. I would select:

1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Kepu
4. Douglas 5. Mowen [Timani]
6. Dennis 7. Waugh [McCutcheon] 8. Palu [Mowen]
9. Burgess (this will be an on week) 10. Barnes [Hangers]
12. Carter [Cross] 13. Kingston
11. Mitchell 15. Beale 14. Turner

16. Ulugia 17. Fuse 18. Mumm 19. McCutcheon [Alcock] 20. Timani [O'Connor] 21. McKibben 22. Hangers [Anesi]

If players still injured see bracketed player. If Horne is OK he goes straight in for Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.