• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing The Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
on friday and again last night (19/21) lots of penalties at the ruck and maul. nothing unusual about that.

except, to my eye there seems to have been a significant change in the emphasis between releasing the ball carrier and tackler rolling away and the tackled player releasing the ball. last night i think only once did the tackled player get penalised for holding on and on friday i cant remember a single instance when the defence won a turnover without being penalised, so much so the delve said the rebels stopped competing at the breakdown and flooded the backline.

i understand the rationale behind the emphasis to allow quick ball and free flowing rugby, but i feel it might prove counterproductive and make our game even more like league in the no contest at the tackle

anyone else's thoughts

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
It happens every year - an emphasis is placed in certain areas and it takes at least one game for teams to adapt.

The teams were warned that the ruck would be an area of focus for the referees but in the first game they test the limits to find out what is and is not acceptable.

You can bet coaches will be reviewing each and every penalty and coaching the players not to incur as many penalties next week. Once that happens there will be less need for the refs to blow penalties and the games will open up.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I thought the refs were reasonably clear what they were after, just no team was willing to let their oppo have a clear run.

The Brumbies counter-rucking and flooding of numbers was far more successful than the Reds poaching efforts.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Many referees were recently given the Game Management Guidelines for 2013. Apart from the obvious emphasis on the new laws, there was a large emphasis on the tackler, tackled player and the "tackle assist" (a person who helps tackle the ball carrier but does not hit the deck themselves). Basically the referees want to see "daylight" when releasing the tackled player, releasing the ball, or coming through the gate. It's the same story every year.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Aren't these focus areas just a continuation of 2012? Daylight and tackle assist were key focus areas in 2012. I think teams are trying to see what the ref will accept more than the refs radically changing the key focus. Obviously the 2013 law variations are different, but these don't really change the way the breakdown is refereed.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
my point is that in 2012, the tackler was given time to release and allow daylight, roll away, get up etc; the ball player had to let go immediately and the "2nd" man in, if he was on his feet could play the ball. on friday, the ref gave almost no time to allow release of the tackled player and move away before awarding the penalty. also early in the game, defenders from both teams, but especially fuglistaller, had hands on the ball (legitimately imo, as neither the tackler or "assist") with the tackled player not releasing, but the penalty awarded for not "clear release". i can see the reason for the emphasis but i just thought it was a harsher interpretation than in 2012 and in either of the trials the rebels played. perhaps just the exuberance of a relatively new ref

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Not the exuberance of a new ref - this is part of the game management guidelines in 2013 - the ref is just following the way SANZAR want the game refereed.

It may be a harsher interpretation than 2012 but the interpretations have been provided in writing to all teams in advance (and I'm sure each team spent time with referees as part of their pre-season preparations) - the teams were naturally exploring whether the written guidelines would be implemented as written.

I'd say all teams (including those who didn't play on the weekend) will have learnt a lot because the interpretations on the field are almost exactly as described in the written guidelines.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The days of the lightning quick pilferer who releases the tackled player for about 1/15 of a microsecond are numbered.

There is still a role for the clever pilferer, who will comply with current Game Management Guidelines, and make a good demonstration to Sir that they have released the tackled player before they have a go at the ball.

There have been plenty of penalties to recently against the tackled player for not releasing the ball.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
It actually encourages a real strong drive through the gate and counter rucking. A couple of real good examples of it in the Rebels game. I will admit to liking the interpretation as provided this weekend. Was actually impressed in how And Gardner "man-managed" the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I kind of liked the way the breakdown was refereed on the weekend.

Outside of situations where someone is completely isolated, I generally think that turnovers should be won when the defensive teams gets a second player there immediately after the tackle is made and they can secure the ball or through counter rucking and driving over the ball.

Unless the player is isolated, it shouldn't really be possible for the tackler to make the tackle and steal the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.