• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Relative strengths of teams

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just having a look at B&I Lions programme, I see they start the tour on Sunday against Gatueng Lions, they then play Bulls etc, I am assuming all without their Springboks, but got me thinking how strong these and other 'club' teams are around the world. It's not meant to be a cock waving exercise, just wondering how strong we would think different teams are.
In NZ and Aus we have a farily good idea, but how would our teams compete against the best from elsewhere.
I would love to see a match up between teams like Scarcens, Exeter Chiefs, Harlequins,Toulouse Racing Metro etc with Crusaders ,Blues, Reds etc. I haven't watched as much as the SA teams last while as I usually do, what teams from there would go good in there. Also you would have to look at others like Munster, Leinster etec etc.
So lets have ideas of how we think comps would go, even make up comps in divisions , A, B, C and D etc if ie easier.

We got a few days without a lot of rugby , so thought it would give everyone something to discuss as you would (or someone like me would) while having a quiet beer with mates.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok if I had an 9-10 team comp, perhps I go Crusaders, Blues,Highlanders,Scarcens, Exeter Chiefs, Bristol Bears , Toulouse, Raciing Metro (or La Rochelle), Leinster ,Reds and Bulls in A div. I quite prepared to be wrong on the team, but that a quick thoughts,
And I know it 11 instead of 8-10 but I need to think on who would be in B div, I know on results this year probably Bulls, but ....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I personally don't see how a club world championship fits into an already wonky and bloated calendar.

Also the Crusaders are basically a test side, so they are the bestest.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally don't see how a club world championship fits into an already wonky and bloated calendar.

Dunno mate, I reckon some of those Pom teams a very very good, as well as top French ones.
I know it never get fitted in, but still I enjoy imagining having such a comp. Especially over 3,4 or even 5 divisions, would be incedible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

No it wouldn't this is more a fantasy comp thing, just wondered what people thought they would like as leagues etc. You know a bit like naming world XVs etc that will never happen.