• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Retiring from Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
About 5 years ago I stopped playing Rugby.

At the time I was playing reserve grade on the Sunshine Coast with the odd cameo off the bench for A-Grade and, as we all do, was spending more and more time injured than fit. In my mind, I was still the early 20's bloke who was an A-Grade starter but in reality I was beginning to resemble a Egyptian mummy - about as old and 98% strapping tape.

One night at training, after getting my kit on, I walked out onto the field to join in the pre-training game of touch. I had only just broken into the lightest of jogs when my knee went. That loose bit of cartilage had finally come free and lodged in my knee joint, locking it. I hobbled to my car, cracked the shits and went home. The writing that was on the wall could not be ignored, if I could get injured walking out onto the pitch, my playing days were done.

But I digress.....

I always wanted to stop playing Rugby by choice. Not because of injury. With this on my mind I've always said I would go back for one more season. The problem is, that I was barely keeping up with the young fella's when I was nudging 30. I'm carrying a lot less weight now but still, I'm now mid 30's and the young blokes all seem to be built like gorillas these days - fast gorillas!

So I started thinking about Golden Oldies. I believe my local club can take a couple of Junior Members in their 30's. I was reading up on the modified game that they play and I have to say, it doesn't sound like a that much fun. No pushing in the scrums, no cleaning out of R&M's. It just seems' too watered down. I still want to play Rugby, proper Rugby.

I'm sure there are plenty on here who have made the transition from Seniors to Golden Oldies and some that are currently playing.

Was it frustrating?
Did the modified game make that much difference?
Should I just sack up and front up for Reserve Grade again?

The focus seems to be more on the off field aspect of Rugby with Golden Oldies, which sounds great. But I'm not certain it's the place I really want to be. Having said that though, getting tenderised on Sat arvo playing reserve grade may make me reflect differently.

I'm really interested in hearing other people's thoughts on retiring from the game we love so much or making the transition to Golden Oldies and therefore never really retiring.

In my mind, I'm still a Rugby player, I just haven't played in a few years. I think that needs to change one way or another.

T

TOCC

Sounds like you need to look at a lower grade, the competitiveness is equal to a-grade but the physical ability is a lot less.

Not sure of the structure of club rugby on the sunny coast, but maybe a C grade may suit you...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
My body started to give up on me in my late twenties. I stopped for two seasons. When I returned my body was not happy. I'd play on Saturday and by the time training came around early in the week I could just about walk again. I rarely trained later in the week because I was still recovering by Saturday. Combined with a loss of pace and work demands I quickly dropped down the grades until I could go no further and settled in 5th grade.

I really enjoyed. It was filled with guys like me. Decentish players but not necessarily fit. I played that for two seasons then stopped.

Initially I missed it, but then I recalled how much time I spent on the side lines. I play touch footy now. Occasionally when I catch up with mates over several beers I get revved up that I'll play again but we all find an excuse not to head to preseason training.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Sounds like you need to look at a lower grade, the competitiveness is equal to a-grade but the physical ability is a lot less.

Not sure of the structure of club rugby on the sunny coast, but maybe a C grade may suit you.

My problem is that I only have one club near me and they rarely field a c grade team. I played a bit in C's ages ago just for fun but found I got injured more as the skill level in the collision was a lot lower and the contact was messier.

I intend on doing some more homework but it appears that my only options are Reserve Grade or Oldies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the decline is ever thus. i started playing senior club rugby after school, club training tuesday and thursday, state rep training wed and sunday am and some mondays, friday off and saturday game. no problem for a young fit man.

then as study and age and family gradually took over, less training time and more games in the lower grades. a year off and then back for another tilt at the full on real stuff for a season or two.

but the body does give in. so eventually, its game saturday, train tues and thursday; then, its game saturday, train thursday; then, its game sat, cant walk sunday; then its game sat, cant walk till thursday, you get the drift. the agony outlasts the ectasy. and i started playing in teams with the sons of men i first started with, small boys when i began. thats the time to move down or stop. i stopped but missed it.

i played a few games again a couple of years after i retired (in my mid 30's) in the UK for Richmond, in their infamous social side. soft grounds but hard drinking.

about 10 years ago i played in the world masters, the video of playing in real time "slow motion" is both funny and sobering. everyone in our team and i do mean everyone was carrying an injury by the end of the week, not a pair of functioning hamstrings amongst the backs. but we had a great time and won a silver medal (another story !)

i still play very social touch, with fluid rules set on the day by the lawyers in attendance. i still think i could play but hope i don't have to test the reality. still not as bad as a mate who still has his boots in the car "just in case"

in my mind it is not that long ago that i played seriously, but this year it will be 40 years since i first played for uni. so i think one never really stops being a "player", but just end up playing at a level you personally find fun and acceptable given your once "greatness"

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Initially I missed it, but then I recalled how much time I spent on the side lines. I play touch footy now. Occasionally when I catch up with mates over several beers I get revved up that I'll play again but we all find an excuse not to head to preseason training.
I have tried Touch but I think it's the competing for the ball that I miss the most and so touch just frustrated the shit out of me.
Your story seems very similar to the way I went/am going. I guess the tough part is accepting that your playing days are done which is why I think it's so important for me to have another go.
I have no idea what I'll do if a somewhat likely serious injury befalls me and I end up being retired again by my chalky body. ;-)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Why not give refereeing a go?
Thanks for the reply boyo. I don't think I'd make a good ref. my decision making has never been described as quick. I have however thought about doing some coaching certification so that I'm still involved after I'm done playing. That is quite an appealing prospect!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In my mind it is not that long ago that i played seriously, but this year it will be 40 years since i first played for uni. so i think one never really stops being a "player", but just end up playing at a level you personally find fun and acceptable given your once "greatness"

Thanks for sharing swingpass. Great post!

You've sort of mentioned one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go back to Club footy. I really don't want to be one of those guys running around in 'slow motion'.

I guess I just start training and get myself into shape again. Decide which way to go and I it's not what I wanted, try the other. I think you nailed it though. It's about finding the level that I find acceptable. The memory is never quite like the reality. The memory is viewed through rise tinted glasses. The pain on the other hand for the week after game day is real. ;-)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
How low in the grades can you go in your area? Sometimes in club rugby its a bitch because the numbers just aren't there for a third grade. Second grade is for those trying to reach first grade and the intensity is just a bit high for those wishing to have a run for purely social purposes.

It sounds like you sit somewhere between second and third grade.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
How low in the grades can you go in your area? Sometimes in club rugby its a bitch because the numbers just aren't there for a third grade. Second grade is for those trying to reach first grade and the intensity is just a bit high for those wishing to have a run for purely social purposes.

It sounds like you sit somewhere between second and third grade.

Nailed it Ruggo. I will have to check but I'm pretty sure that my club has only fielded first and second grade for a number of years. The numbers just aren't there. I thought I'd get what I wanted from Oldies but it seems I might not now.

I'll make some calls today and see what's out there to make sure.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
KNow how you feel Scoey, I finished playing at the end of '09 due to a shoulder injury I picked up midway through the season (I never had the unfortunate circumstance ofinjury entering the pitch as I knew my body well enough to spend 5 minutes stretching before even thinking about breaking into a light jog). Golden Oldies interests me but I am too competitive to play a watered down version of the game. My son starts playing this year so I can get involved again helping him out at training.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Am actually refereeing an over 35s match for the first time ever this coming weekend, will let you know how it went, and how the players go about it during and afterwards!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Nailed it Ruggo. I will have to check but I'm pretty sure that my club has only fielded first and second grade for a number of years. The numbers just aren't there.

From memory, there are other clubs that partake in rugby competitions outside of the traditional senior grade competition. There are some Friday night competitions along with the Scotney, Pegg, Barber etc comps. From memory, there are some clubs at Pine Rivers, Wynnum, Redcliffe etc which would more than welcome an extra member.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I've played some Golden Oldies and can highly recommend. And I am a teetotaler so drinking culture held no attractions.
Taking the push out of the scrum does not impact the competitiveness I have found. And all the games I played in had cleaning out in rucks - just not reckless charging into rucks. (This is actually how the rucks are meant to be refereed now).
Otherwise refereeing can be rewarding. It requires you to maintain a standard of fitness and achieving a high quality game brings personal satisfaction.
Just need a bit of selective deafness and you're on your way.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I now play Oztag even though it has its limitations.
A broken arm and then 3 years of backpacking basically finished off my competitive football.
I had a career change in my early 30's and decided to join the local rugby club as a way of meeting new people in a new town.
The plan was good and the pre season fitness became good fun. The broken leg in round 2 was the problem.
Oztag in your 40's against teenagers is an exercise in humility particularly for a retired hooker.
I have also taken up veterans hockey in the last 2 years which, if your hamstrings are still functioning, is a rewarding challenge.
I'm sure all of the older guys on this forum have similar stories.
I must say when watching the local A Grade games I oscillate between thinking it would be good to have another crack at those guys and thinking holy crap, they seem to have got a fair bit bigger and faster than when we played. Depends on the number of beers of course as to which way the thought process swings.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From memory, there are other clubs that partake in rugby competitions outside of the traditional senior grade competition. There are some Friday night competitions along with the Scotney, Pegg, Barber etc comps. From memory, there are some clubs at Pine Rivers, Wynnum, Redcliffe etc which would more than welcome an extra member.

Thanks Ignoto, I did look into Pine Rivers and Redcliffe for the Friday night comps (keeping the weekend free is a plus!) but the travel to those clubs was just too far. My closest club is Caboolture and I live a good 30 mins west of there. So extending the travel to Pine or Redcliffe would be an hour each way minimum.

Caboolture had a C Grade that played in the Normanby Cup perhaps it was on a Friday night and I used to play in that every now and then but they haven't fielded a team in this grade for a while as far as I know. Just don't have the numbers.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Scoey, mate if you not sure it time to stop. Rugby is one game if you not commited to playing fully will see you end up getting injured. I love the game, played Goden Oldies up to last year, but at 58 have decided body ,even at that level it not worth the pain I get, mainly from a knee thats been crook for years. But even Golden Oldies if you go in too halfhearted you get bounced around by the 35-40yos that suddenly think they are hard rugby players. To be honest most Oldies I have played lately has been more like League, where the fitter ones just get the ball and run at you with no thought to setting anything up, somehow not what rugby is to me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.