• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP Martin Crowe

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Martin Crowe has succumbed to the lymphoma he's been battling with these last few years.

image.jpeg

I watched every ball of his maiden 100 v England in 1983/84, his match-saver (with John Wright) v West Indies in 1986/87 & his 299 v Sri Lanka in 1990/91; also a stunning 80-odd in awful conditions v Zimbabwe during the '92 CWC; and carting Shane Warne to all corners of Pukekura Park (it's a small ground esp square, but the hitting was impressive nonetheless) in his 1993/94 comeback from knee surgery.

I never got to see Glen Turner bat, much less Bert Sutcliffe or Martin Donnelly, but he was easily the best NZ batsman I've seen, albeit Kane Williamson looks set to surpass him.

I'll post some of the YouTube tributes that are sure to posted in the next few days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The first match I ever attended just with mates (rather than my dad taking me) was that 1985 test at the Gabba v the kiwis. We batted first and HAdlee got 9 for 52 and then Crowe came out and smashed 188. They are two individual performances that have stuck with me so strongly as I was in awe of both.

Loved watching Crowe bat. Beautiful and so effective.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As good as he was at batting, his writing after the diagnosis went way further that anything he ever hit with a cricket bat. Out of the park. They say for good writing you should "give away as much of yourself as you dare." Well, Crowe in the last 5 years or so gave away the whole fucking lot. Nothing left.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/977971.html

Agree, his writing on Cricinfo was always interesting and engaging. It was sometimes quite revealing too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He could have been one of ours if he had followed his brother Jeff to South Australia.

Wikipedia has him as playing on the Wing for Auckland Grammar 1st XV.

I reckon that would have been the same team and time that Auckland Grammar had a five eighth called Grant Fox, and a coach called Graham Henry.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ geez, mate, we gave you Russell, didn't we? :)

And yes, Fox & Crowe were team-mates (in both sports IIRC). Not sure about Ted coaching them but ex-AB Wayne Graham was headmaster at the time. Fox & Crowe remained close, wouldn't be at all surprised if Fox has a speaking role at the funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.