• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Brumbies v Rebels - Fri 15th@7:45pm

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Round 1 is here,

About time, although I hate getting an away fixture 1st up. Worse when you have the bye round 2.

This really is a interesting match up, both teams will be looking to start the season on the right foot and only have a few weeks before the next match up. This could become a real grudge match to kick off the season.

Hodge out for the Rebels, should mean Meakes and English start in the centers. Big ask as TK looks like his found form in the preseason just in time for the RWC.

A lot of great match ups all over the place, for me Speight against Maddox, DHP, or Koroibete is the one to watch.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My tip is the Brumbies. They'll edge it in the pack and the Rebels won't get sufficient opportunity to unleash their backline.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My tip is the Brumbies. They'll edge it in the pack and the Rebels won't get sufficient opportunity to unleash their backline.

That's my worry, I think still think if the Rebels front row can step up the rest of the forward pack is a pretty even match up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This game I expect to be close. In the end, one of these two sides should top the Aussie conference so a first up loss won't be the end of the world.

I do expect the Brumbies front row to get on top in set piece and in open play. The locks will be a good battle with Carter showing great form in the trials, Arnold not quite so, and up against Philip and Coleman(fit?) it will be an even tussle.

The starting back rows will both be strong with Poey probably giving the Brumbies the edge. Naisarani turning out for the Rebels will be one to watch. I expect and hope he will be the Wallabies' No 8 by end of year.

Genia and Cooper, if near their best will be more than a match for Powell and Leali'ifano (or Hawera), but they won't get it all their own way. No 12 will be a challenge for both sides, with Simone probably filling the Brumbies' spot and Meakes for the Rebels. Billy M is an under-rated player in my book and will be troublesome. Simone has been quite sharp in the trials and adds a huge boot to the equation when needed. I would think TK will finish on top of whoever plays 13 for the Rebels.

In the back, it will be a matter of the pace of the Brumbies versus the established Wallabies at the Rebels. Pulu, if he plays, has a ton of pace, Speight was very sharp in his runs against the Tahs, and Wright again if he plays ran down Wolfe (a reknowned speedster) in 50m after giving him a head start. We all know just how sharp Banks is. Against that are three Wallabies in Maddocks (an improver), DHP and Koroibete.

Maybe the respective benches will decide the day. I will stick with the Brumbies to win but won't be at all surprised if the Rebels get up.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Pretty good preview, I actually think the Rebels might end up with the stronger back row. Hoping Jones starts at 6 and the forwards looks something like.
1) Sa'aga
2) Uelese
3) Talakai
4) Coleman
5) Phillip
6) Jones
7) Hardwick
8) Naisarani

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jones, Hardwick, Naisarani v Samu, Pocock, Valetini. Still think Poey will be the difference, but reserves could be another matter. Cottrell v McCaffery could go the Rebels way.

I expect the Brumbies side will line up like this :

Slipper, Folau, Ala'alatoa
Arnold, Carter,
Samu, Pocock (7),
Valetini (8)
Powell, Leali'ifano,
Pulu, Simone, Kuridrani, Speight,
Banks

Reserves : Mann-Rea, Sio, Makin, Swain, McCaffery, Lonergan, Hawera/Wright, Muirhead.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Competing Wallaby backrows. Not blown away by Pulu and Speight on the wings.

It’ll be interesting what type of form Speight will bring as he fluctuates hot and
cold every year, and some of those other guys - Taliauli and Muirhead in particular, are deserving of a starting gig.

Reactions: TSR

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m happy for the Rebels to take the underdog tag. And I think they had it deservingly, I expect brumbies to get up, with Melbourne still lacking harmony among the backs. Isn’t it great after years of cellar dwelling for the Rebels to be a genuine threat and to have a target on their back - great for the competition.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's the best time for the Rebs to come to Canberra, we won't have our home field advantage of the purpose built wind tunnel that is Bruce Stadium in the cold. I imagine it will be a much closer game than the Australia Day trial, but we're a much better team than the one that lost to them last year and I expect a decent win. I'm also sick of the upstarts down south and want to see them cry. Brums by 10.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It’ll be interesting what type of form Speight will bring as he fluctuates hot and
cold every year, and some of those other guys - Taliauli and Muirhead in particular, are deserving of a starting gig.

Not sure if Taliauli will be fit for this game, Slim, and Muirhead looks like the perfect bench cover for wing and fullback.

Chance Peni has also be showing up good in the trials. Even this early, he looks a much better footballer than he did through the whole of last year.

The player I'm keen to see is Tom Wright. He has made line breaks against the Rebels and Tahs in the trials and has an excellent off-loading game. He also has a ton of pace. But I can't see where he will fit into the team just yet.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies

James Slipper
Folau Fainga’a
Allan Ala'alatoa
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter
Rob Valetini
David Pocock
Lachlan McCaffrey
Joe Powell
Christian Lealiifano (c)
Toni Pulu
Irae Simone
Tevita Kuridrani
Henry Speight
Tom Banks

REPLACEMENTS
Josh Mann-Rea
Scott Sio
Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin
Blake Enever
Peter Samu
Matt Lucas
Wharenui Hawera
Andy Muirhead

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that McCaffery gets a start in place of Pete Samu. But he did have a strong trial match v the Tahs. Except for a couple of handling mistakes, he bent the line consistently.

I was not at all impressed with Lucas when he came on against the Tahs. Very slow and tentative in his delivery from the ruck. I know a swag of changes was made late in the game but the Tahs' fightback coincided with Lucas' entry to the game. The Brumbies' structure seemed to unfold with Matt at No 9.

The other mystery is who is the better No 10 out of Hawera and Leali'ifano? Christian was hardly impressive in his time on the ground, and I thought the Brumbies' backline looked more dangerous with Hawera at 10. This could turn out to be the most controversial debating point as the season progresses.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting that McCaffery gets a start in place of Pete Samu.

It's the right decision IMO.........

Samu to me is a master of none who will better serve the team as a super sub, except in the matches where Pocock is rested and in that situation I would look at probably having him and Cusack in the starting team, with McCaffrey dropping back to the bench.

Cusack unlucky to miss out, but it was down to him and Samu on the bench.