• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7 Reds v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium 2/4 @ 6:45pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Only 2 weeks after the previous clash we get the return fixture.

Expecting largely unchanged side for the Reds with Nonggorr coming onto the bench after Zander's suspension. I assume Mogg will slot straight into 15 in place of Banks for the Brumbies, is Lolesio fit to come back at 10? Any word on Neville?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really impressed with what Nonggorr had to offer at the start of this season - hopefully he gets his chance and runs with it again. Some competition for Zander to get back into the side is nothing but a good thing for all parties.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Important game this week. I wouldn’t mind seeing a change to the backline this week, rather than seeing a bench influx in the last 15 minutes with no benefit. Player blooding but no game benefit.

9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Dangunu
12 Paisami
13 Henry
14 Petaia
15 Campbell

21 Jeans
22 Stewart
23 Grealy

Yes, that’s right Paisami at 12 and Henry at 13. I see Paisami at 12 for the Wallabies and I think Henry has more to offer than Flook at 13. Henry gets more involved and is a stronger runner. Flook only has a couple of touches in any game, whilst they have good outcomes, I think Henry will have better results in that channel, and will connect better with the outside backs.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Stewart is one of my favourite players. Give his a rest before facing the NZ teams. I want to see Hunter at 12 and Isaac at 13.
I'm not opposed to giving him a rest, but I'd probably do it for the Rebels game. Either way I don't really see the value in Paisami/Henry over Paisami/Flook or Henry/Paisami. The role Paisami is playing at 13 is near enough to what the wallabies are looking for from him at 12.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm not opposed to giving him a rest, but I'd probably do it for the Rebels game. Either way I don't really see the value in Paisami/Henry over Paisami/Flook or Henry/Paisami. The role Paisami is playing at 13 is near enough to what the wallabies are looking for from him at 12.
Yeah the Rebels game could be an option to trial it. I do see the value that’s why I posted it. Each to their own. The overhype of Flook who touches the ball twice a game is getting ridiculous. If you think Flook does okay at 13, you’re going to be impressed by Henry there. I’m also considering who I have nominated as the outside backs in my proposed lineup, and not just the random selection of 12 and 13.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Flook is a 13 that can play wing . Tends to play his channel and does it well. Maybe needs to look for more opportunities, but then again who knows what his role there is other than the Reds’ coaching staff.

How would you know how many involvements he would have at 13 when he has not been playing there ?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Important game this week. I wouldn’t mind seeing a change to the backline this week, rather than seeing a bench influx in the last 15 minutes with no benefit. Player blooding but no game benefit.

9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Dangunu
12 Paisami
13 Henry
14 Petaia
15 Campbell

21 Jeans
22 Stewart
23 Grealy

Yes, that’s right Paisami at 12 and Henry at 13. I see Paisami at 12 for the Wallabies and I think Henry has more to offer than Flook at 13. Henry gets more involved and is a stronger runner. Flook only has a couple of touches in any game, whilst they have good outcomes, I think Henry will have better results in that channel, and will connect better with the outside backs.
Why would you be dropping flook for dagunu???? I have missed his injury?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Flook has been great this year. But I’m still puzzled both by Daugunu’s apparent fall from favour on here, and within the Reds squad. Personally I’d still have him in my top 23.

One thing it does shows is Thorn has used far less player rotation this year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Dangunu
12 Paisami
13 Henry
14 Petaia
15 Campbell

21 Jeans
22 Stewart
23 Grealy

I can't comment on Flook/Henry at 13 although on the whole Flook has been looking the goods at Super level imo. He's done little wrong and plenty right.

I think Paisami is better at 13 but it's another item that doesn't have broad agreement. More likely though, the difference between Paisami and Stewart at 12 isn't much, noting that Stewart has been shining. OTOH there is a definite difference between Paisami and say Flook/Henry at 13. Overall the team looks stronger to me with 12 Stewart 13 Paisami.

While I would be happy with it, why would the coaches backflip-swap Petaia and Campbell? Doesn't make sense to me - unless there is something specific in their strengths for the Brumbies game? If that's the case. what is it?

Flook has been great this year. But I’m still puzzled both by Daugunu’s apparent fall from favour on here, and within the Reds squad. Personally I’d still have him in my top 23.

One thing it does shows is Thorn has used far less player rotation this year.

Duagunu started the season well off the pace, especially based on his own standards. He was improving and I don’t know why this hasn’t been followed with more game time.

Do we have an update on Vunivalu?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Quick, good defender, runs good support lines and good catch pass. Plus he’s match fit. Play our best possible 23 v Brumbies.

Edit: I also agree with Dru that Paisami’s best spot is 13 and I wouldn’t be dropping Stewart for this game unless Thorn thinks Henry is an upgrade at 12 which I think would be something of a leap of faith at present.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quick, good defender, runs good support lines and good catch pass. Plus he’s match fit. Play our best possible 23 v Brumbies.

Edit: I also agree with Dru that Paisami’s best spot is 13 and I wouldn’t be dropping Stewart for this game unless Thorn thinks Henry is an upgrade at 12 which I think would be something of a leap of faith at present.
I thought Stewart been one of the consistent form 12s or have I missed something (which of course possible as may be bias from most recent games memory of his play).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Stewart been one of the consistent form 12s or have I missed something (which of course possible as may be bias from most recent games memory of his play).
No - I think you’re spot on. There were some early season rumours that Henry was highly rated and Thorn was looking at him for the 12 spot. How much substance there was behind those rumours I have no idea.

From my expert seat in my couch at home I wouldn’t be dropping Stewart, but Henry does look a good player and I am open to the view that others on here or possibly even Thorn himself have a better view of it then me.

If nothing else, talking about which quality players misses out is not a bad conversation to have to fill our time while we wait for the weekend to arrive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
those rumours were some comments by one anonymous poster who doesn't seem to post anymore.

I remain a Stewart fan and his form this year is at its best from a consistency basis. But where Henry has him is goal kicking (gees he struck that one nice last weekend) and with JOC (James O'Connor)'s form here dropping, Henry could be a real key where we need every point available v the kiwis

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
those rumours were some comments by one anonymous poster who doesn't seem to post anymore.

I remain a Stewart fan and his form this year is at its best from a consistency basis. But where Henry has him is goal kicking (gees he struck that one nice last weekend) and with JOC (James O'Connor)'s form here dropping, Henry could be a real key where we need every point available v the kiwis
In fairness to the anon poster, I have heard similar about Thorn rating Henry - although his 11th hour contract extension maybe paints a different picture. Granted, with the roster and depth Thorn has available to him now, I'm not sure he'd have anyone in the team that he didn't rate.

As TSR said, if the biggest discussions we're routinely having in the lead-up to a match is which quality players miss out, then that's certainly not a bad place to be.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yuk.

So

15 Petaia
14 Daugunu
13 Hunter
12 Stewart
11 Flook
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 Tate
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 Blyth
4 Smith
3 Tupou
2 Nasser
1 Fotuaika

16 Faeesler
17 Hoopert
18 Nonggorr
19 Vest
20 Tuialima
21 Thomas
22 Henry
23 Creighton

Starting still looks very strong and I look forward to seeing if Wright can sure up our ruck work. Bench takes a bit of a hit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.