• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 9: Waratahs v Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Waratahs most important match of the season. Not because of the outcome but because this must mark the change from klutzes to contenders. From here the Waratahs can, at best, afford to drop one more game in the season, so this must be the game they turn their season around and play to their potential. A winning bonus point is essential.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The team I'd like to see:
1. Paddy Ryan: Played OK last round, needs to step up his consistency.
2. Tolu Latu
3. Tom Robertson: Second year syndrome is strong with this one.
4. Dean Mumm: Fundamentally a 6 but the Waratahs have recruited so poorly that he has to play 4 every week. Has not been very effective all year.
5. Will Skelton: For one so experienced, it seems he still doesn't understand the physics of momentum. He should be running full bore before he gets the ball.
6. Ned Hanigan: One of the finds of the season.
7. Michael Hooper:
8. Jed Holloway: If Wells is our first choice 8 we are done. Holloway has to be persevered with.
9. Jake Gordon: The other find of the season.
10. Bernard Foley
11. Taquele Naiyaravoro: Picked so he can come into the line as a human wrecking ball working off Foley. His defensive shortcomings can be covered.
12. Rob Horne: Simone hasn't worked out yet, but will. Horwitz has had his chances. Not his best position but he's our best available.
13. Israel Folau: He will get back to form, it just needs time. Cream will rise to the top.
14. Reece Robinson: We need speed, he's got it. Must be told never to grubber/chip kick.
15. Cam Clark/Andrew Kellaway. Toss a coin

16. Damien Fitzpatrick:
17. Sam Needs
18. David Lolohea: Still hasn't made it onto the Tahs website.
19. Dave McDuling: Hasn't let us down, gives it everything.
20. Michael Wells.: Last man standing. Tries hard, but... Almost worth putting Roach here.
21. Matt Lucas: I'm finally done with Phipps. When we had the Hurricanes under the pump in a big way he threw the pass behind the man again and destroyed all momentum. Game over and its time to move on.
22. Bryce Hegarty
23. Kellaway/Clark

Love to see this but it won't happen.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Hawko, pretty much agree with your run-on side, only comments are that Holloway needs to put in, if Robertson has second season syndrome Holloway has overdosed on it! I think Kellaway has been all right, I'd start him at 15.
On the bench, Simone over Hegarty. Simone isn't there yet, but needs 10 to 20 at the end of each game, get him up to the pace of this level and he's a match winner.
As an aside, when Dempsey returns I would switch Hanigan to 4 and put Mumm on the bench.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko, pretty much agree with your run-on side, only comments are that Holloway needs to put in, if Robertson has second season syndrome Holloway has overdosed on it!

As an aside, when Dempsey returns I would switch Hanigan to 4 and put Mumm on the bench.

Unless Mumm makes more impact in the next few weeks I think I would too.

Lindommer claims Hanigan will end up being a better 6 than Dempsey; its hard to argue with him based on what we've seen so far, despite how well Dempsey was going. Dempsey's injury was pretty severe. I doubt we will see the best of him till the season's over.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the teams will have improved their defense. Both teams' defense has been awful so far. The Waratahs being the more established and professional outfit will reign supreme.

Kings only to up the tempo against the Saffa teams when they get back. That's how we roll.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Waratahs should win by plenty but if anybody thinks it is almost guaranteed they should have another look at how the Kings played against the Force and the Reds.

The Kings are a limited side but they scored three tries in nine minutes in the second half in Perth, and later in the half they scored two tries in two.

And in Brisbane last Saturday they scored three in six minutes.

The lesson is that you generally have to have smaller ruck populations on defence against them and get to feet early to spread out.

And if you kick the ball back long to them the ball has to be chased diligently.

Thereby your team mates in front of you can be put onside quicker and have more time to organise their tackle lines so they aren't dog legs susceptible to their back three whippets.

And if you think the Waratahs won't be so careless, just think how the Lions ran through them like a dose of salts on the high veldt.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not concerned about how many points we score in this one, much more concerned about how many we concede.

Our defense has been decidedly average far too often, the attitude just hasn't been there. I want to see real effort and a win through dominant defense

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McDuling starting for Mumm, Ryan starting in the front row as expected with Kepu injured.

Angus Ta'avao is back on the bench as is Harry Jones who comes in for Kellaway who got injured playing for Randwick.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
LOOSEHEAD PROP
Paddy Ryan
HOOKER
Tolu Latu
TIGHTHEAD PROP
Tom Robertson
LEFT LOCK
David McDuling
RIGHT LOCK
Will Skelton