• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Well done Girls.

Winning a 7s game 75/0 regardless of opponent is absurd.

Hope RA have at least a couple of them on the radar/signed up. NRLW is the big hunter for these sides.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately yes - but this is where I think that there is a workable strategy. The funnel for girls 7s is huge and is growing constantly. They are going to have a high attrition rate, but at least fhey get a crack at the best girls and have a whole bunch behind that to fill out the program. Most other countries don’t have junior girls coming through the touch footy pathways like we do.

I actually don’t think it’s a bad things if we can market to teenage girls that the 7s pathways can open doors for NRLW.

Whilst I know it will never happen I actually reckon a league would get enormous benefit from putting some funding into 7s. I know a bunch of women who probably wouldn’t have played contact footy without 7s and have ended up in State Cup or higher in league.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Venue & fields for Olympic repechage tournament:

IMG_1203.PNG

You'd expect SA to take out the men's but the women's could go to just about anyone.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
This Saturday is the Kiama 7’s

Over 30k in prize money

Live on

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Australian 7s keen to get Pietsch, Toole and McDermott in for the Olympics:

All have played 7s before so they're seen as the most capable of slotting in off of a relatively short warm up. All look to be putting their 15s aspirations first though, so it will likely come down to who (if any) miss Wallabies selection.

Article also mentions Nawaqanitawase and Lancaster as options who have 7s experience, both might be more likely. Nawaqanitawase is an interesting one, 7s representation at the olympics might suit him on the way out of the game and Schmidt may decide he needs to focus on players who will be available for the Lions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Feel like neither side hold huge expectations at this point. Hooper speaking about it in Super coverage the other day felt very we'll 'see how it goes' and he's acknowledged the body has struggled.

Gotta say I didn't think he'd be any good in TV as he always seemed reserved but I like it when he's on. During the WC especially. Maybe he thinks this is a much better job.