• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Only a couple of weeks away from the HSBC series starting up again, I notice no Fiji, Aus, NZ or Arg. The USA could be a real shot at taking this out!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
True but its a cracking day out!

I like the idea that RA came up with about sharing IP & resources. Hopefully when they come back they wear gold as well
Big fan of sevens and always enjoyed going to day Of Sydney sevens with some mates. Won’t stop me doing that or watching that. Sharing resources makes sense. Will see how we go but hard to see us doing well in sevens with even less investment

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Big fan of sevens and always enjoyed going to day Of Sydney sevens with some mates. Won’t stop me doing that or watching that. Sharing resources makes sense. Will see how we go but hard to see us doing well in sevens with even less investment

Need to throw any coin we have a women's 7's, the AFLW is about to have 18 professional teams & nearly a full season. The NRLW is expanding as well. We need to dangle the carrot of full time professional that travels around the world & get to go to the olympics hard.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also, if the NRL ever decide they need more than 6 teams then all the 7's players will be targeted.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big review of the Aussie 7s program with both Head Coach's position advertised. A far cry from them both re-signing pre-Olympics.

Review has encouraged greater alignment with the XVs program. Not sure what that means but perhaps it means the 7s program (for the men at least) but be used more as a talent development pathway that sees some of our young stars going that way first.

And perhaps it means greater cross over with XVs in the women, meaning at least in a RWC year, some of those players can play both.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big changes to the 7s programs.

In the most significant change to the program structure since the sides centralised in 2014, the Men's squad will now work collaboratively with the Australian Super Rugby clubs, empowering players to work across the XVs and Sevens format of the game to gain experience in both arenas.

The Australian Men's Sevens squad will be headlined by dual-Olympians Nick Malouf and Henry Hutchison, while vice-captain Maurice Longbottom will round out the senior playing group. Josh Turner, Dietrich Roache and Nathan Lawson have also been retained following the Tokyo Olympics, with Henry Paterson rounding out the full-time playing group.

Darby Lancaster will join the Men's program in 2022, splitting his time between the NSW Waratahs and Sevens as both teams forge a new collaborative approach.

"The new collaborative approach between our sevens programs and the Super Rugby clubs will ensure there are opportunities for all of our elite development players to get game time at an international level, benefiting both formats of our game.

2021-22 Australian Women’s Sevens National Squad:
Rhiannon Byers, 10 caps
Charlotte Caslick, 33 caps
Lily Dick, 5 caps
Dominique Du Toit, 15 caps
Demi Hayes, 12 caps
Madison Ashby, 5 caps
Tia Hinds, *
Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea, *
Maddison Levi, *
Teagan Levi, *
Faith Nathan, 4 caps
Sariah Paki, 10 caps
Cassie Staples, 12 caps
Bienne Terita, *
Jakiya Whitfeld, 1 cap
Sharni Williams, 35 caps

2021-22 Australian Men’s Sevens National Squad:
Henry Hutchison, 32 caps
Nathan Lawson, *
Maurice Longbottom, 20 caps
Nick Malouf, 40 caps
Henry Paterson, *
Dietrich Roache, *
Joshua Turner, 6 caps
Darby Lancaster, *

*Denotes uncapped player
Note: Caps reflect World Series Tournaments

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haven't seen teams announced that have travelled to Dubai, but Ricky Stuart's son Jed is one of them

it's interesting isn't it? They flew out yesterday I believe. And nothing announced? Perhaps they have a wider squad and will announce the final tournament squad closer to the event.

Anyone seen this Jed Stuart play? Looks interesting

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
it's interesting isn't it? They flew out yesterday I believe. And nothing announced? Perhaps they have a wider squad and will announce the final tournament squad closer to the event.

Anyone seen this Jed Stuart play? Looks interesting
Seems very quiet. Maybe the Marketing Pigeon has flown the coop ?
Also, I think it is back to back tournaments in Dubai, so they may have bigger squads.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I knew the Aus and NZ legs had been cancelled, but didn't realize the NZ teams weren't playing for the rest of 2021

Although several tournaments on the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series will resume in 2021, the Black Ferns Sevens and All Blacks Sevens will not be traveling to those events due to current travel restrictions in place.

NZR and Rugby Australia will continue to consult with World Rugby regarding the establishment of several regional Oceania Sevens tournaments with the support of the Australian government, as preparation for the men's and women's teams ahead of the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

World Rugby Chief Executive Alan Gilpin said despite the cancellations and disruptions caused by COVID-19 a truncated HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series would continue in 2021 with a revised 2022 schedule to be announce later this month.

From: https://www.allblacks.com/news/hsbc-new-zealand-sevens-wont-happen-in-2022/

That must have been before (Sep 2021) the Australian teams committed to Dubai

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only 12 men's & eight women's teams at first Dubai tournament so NZ far from the only absentees. I see Team GB are there, I think it has something to do with Comm Games qualification.