• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well they will be starting to plan this shortly, so thought we better get a thread so SANZAAR can come in and get our conclusions about it before they make and decisions!;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Start off with how do we think it done this year, last year it was all in one country which was only way, and I reading RA want to host it again thia year. Not sure if we need it in one country and if we do, should it move. My thoughts are maybe Aus say host Argentina and NZ SA, ABs can play Wallabies and Pumas in Aus and Wallabies can play SA and ABs here? Main reason I suggesting that is it 100th test between ABs and Boks this year, and seems wrong to play our most biggest rivals in the game on neutral territory, would of been happy to have it in SA ,but they have said no to hosting RC games.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
With Trans Tasman travel due to be open a long time before the comp starts let the ABs play out of NZ the Wallabies play out of Aus and split the other games in between the two nations

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
With Trans Tasman travel due to be open a long time before the comp starts let the ABs play out of NZ the Wallabies play out of Aus and split the other games in between the two nations

Yep I think that ok Rebel, just thinking if there some reluctance for teams from outside the bubble to move between countries even if they done quarantine in one country.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
SA has already said they have no interest in hosting it
But I'm not sure about that............

The NZH seems to be reporting a TRC revamp starting this year, whereby the Boks are involved in 2× two-test mini tours, alternating ABs & Wobs.

Yes, I know it is Gregor Paul and also paywalled, but that could well mean Australia scheduled to tour SA this year.

Impossible? Well, much might depend on whether the Lions tour there first. Also don't forget RA need to curry votes to host RWC.

Link to a za site in lieu of nzh paywall:

https://www.moneyman.co.za/2020/03/rugby-championship-set-for-radical-revamp/

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But I'm not sure about that....

The NZH seems to be reporting a TRC revamp starting this year, whereby the Boks are involved in 2× two-test mini tours, alternating ABs & Wobs.

Yes, I know it is Gregor Paul and also paywalled, but that could well mean Australia scheduled to tour SA this year.

Impossible? Well, much might depend on whether the Lions tour there first. Also don't forget RA need to curry votes to host RWC.

Link to a za site in lieu of nzh paywall:

https://www.moneyman.co.za/2020/03/rugby-championship-set-for-radical-revamp/
I read a different article saying due to the huge logistical effort of hosting the lions they aren’t interested hosting any of the Rugby Championship this year.

I don’t think the planned reforms will be good, if they play the Pumas home and away and then NZ home and Aus away the draw is unbalanced

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I read a different article saying due to the huge logistical effort of hosting the lions they aren’t interested hosting any of the Rugby Championship this year.
Link?

Hosting the Lions is also not set in stone. As for an unbalanced draw, it happens all the time.

Sanzaar cut their teeth on it and wrote the manual.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks.

"At this stage, they have signalled that they don't wish to host the Rugby Championship this year"

SA aren't exactly on good terms with Robinson, but I suppose we'll find out the Bok involvement soon - if there is to be any. There's no direct SARU statement there yet.

Still, if the Lions don't fly south, they might be a bit fooked.
They just don’t want to lose

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Two years undefeated at #1 has a certain ring to it. ;)

Could be another tri nations comin' up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZR will go all-in to ensure that the 100th AB v 'bokke Test is at Eden Park. Unless they can make more dosh by playing it elsewhere :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SANZAAR making an announcement later today re: what TRC 2021 will look like. Most logical approach would be for SA to play their home games in Au & Arg play their's in NZ. But it's SANZAAR so logic will probably play no part in it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
SANZAAR making an announcement later today re: what TRC 2021 will look like. Most logical approach would be for SA to play their home games in Au & Arg play their's in NZ. But it's SANZAAR so logic will probably play no part in it.

I actually think that SA will play both their games against ABs in NZ, both games against Wallabies in Aus, and same with Argentina. I actually disagree that other way makes more sense. If Argentina play Wallabies home game in NZ how big a crowd will they get? They might as well play Wallabies twice in Australia, and Boks play Aus twice in Australia and ABs twice in NZ.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I actually think that SA will play both their games against ABs in NZ, both games against Wallabies in Aus, and same with Argentina. I actually disagree that other way makes more sense. If Argentina play Wallabies home game in NZ how big a crowd will they get? They might as well play Wallabies twice in Australia, and Boks play Aus twice in Australia and ABs twice in NZ.
This is what makes the most sense, there is little chance of SA hosting games and even less of any games in Arg.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I was thinking more in terms of logistics if anything goes wrong re: QFT but from a purely rugby POV you're right.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So according to newshub SANZAAR's master plan for TRC 2021 is for it to be played on both sides of the Tasman but they want RA & NZR to each submit a sole-host proposal just in case.

"Probably the best rugby decision we could make in the best possible environment is to have games across Australia and New Zealand," Sanzaar chief executive Brendan Morris [said].

And that was pretty much all he said.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...s-for-rugby-championship-as-bubble-looms.html