• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld reporting that RC will be played August-September with matches both sides of Tasman. Expectation is that SA (assuming they front) & Argentina will only have to quarantine once & can therefore play Aus in Aus & NZ in NZ. No mention of what happens re: SA v Arg but I'd suggest Perth & Albany which I believe have the biggest SA-expat populations in Aus & NZ.

Same article suggests Bledisloe Cup will be August 7th, 14th & 21st in Wellington, Melbourne & Auckland with two (presumably Melbourne & Auckland) doubling as RC matches.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
NZHurld reporting that RC will be played August-September with matches both sides of Tasman. Expectation is that SA (assuming they front) & Argentina will only have to quarantine once & can therefore play Aus in Aus & NZ in NZ. No mention of what happens re: SA v Arg but I'd suggest Perth & Albany which I believe have the biggest SA-expat populations in Aus & NZ.

Same article suggests Bledisloe Cup will be August 7th, 14th & 21st in Wellington, Melbourne & Auckland with two (presumably Melbourne & Auckland) doubling as RC matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if SA want all their "home" games played out of Perth to get the best possible time zone for their home viewers. That might default Argentina to choosing a home base in NZ, but they might prefer Sydney after last year.

Obviously New Zealand won't like it and will want the games to be split at least evenly between Aus/NZ, but if South Africa demand a single home base I can't see them being able to block it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't be surprised if SA want all their "home" games played out of Perth to get the best possible time zone for their home viewers. That might default Argentina to choosing a home base in NZ, but they might prefer Sydney after last year.

Obviously New Zealand won't like it and will want the games to be split at least evenly between Aus/NZ, but if South Africa demand a single home base I can't see them being able to block it.

If SA wanted their 'home' games in Perth ,I think it would be quite reasonable, but as you more or less said Wilson that is just a wild guess anyway.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bledisloe Cup/Rugby Championships schedule for 2021:

First Bledisloe Cup:

Saturday 7 August: All Blacks vs Australia, 7.05PM, Eden Park, AUCKLAND

Rugby Championship:

Saturday 14 August: South Africa v Argentina, venue & kickoff TBC, SOUTH AFRICA

Saturday 21 August: Australia v All Blacks, koff TBC, Optus Stadium, PERTH; Argentina v South Africa, venue & koff TBC, SOUTH AFRICA

Saturday 28 August: All Blacks v Australia, 7.05PM, Sky Stadium, WELLINGTON

Saturday 11 September: All Blacks v Argentina, 7.05PM, Eden Park, AUCKLAND; South Africa v Australia, venue & koff TBC, AUSTRALIA

Saturday 18 September: Argentina v All Blacks, 7.05PM, Sky Stadium, WELLINGTON; Australia v South Africa, venue & koff TBC, AUSTRALIA

Saturday 25 September: All Blacks v South Africa, 7.05PM, Forsyth Barr Stadium, DUNEDIN; Australia v Argentina, venue & koff TBC, AUSTRALIA

Saturday 2 October: South Africa v All Blacks, 7.05PM, Eden Park, AUCKLAND; Argentina v Australia, venue & koff TBC, AUSTRALIA

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...chedule-unveiled-home-comforts-for-all-blacks

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

First time in a long time I've taken a GPaul article as read. Won't make that mistake again for a while.......

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Interesting no Bledisloe game in Sydney. I thought there was a long-term agreement with the NSW Government, but obviously that is not the case any more.

Not that I am complaining, Homebush is a graveyard for our Bledisloe ambitions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting no Bledisloe game in Sydney. I thought there was a long-term agreement with the NSW Government, but obviously that is not the case any more.

Not that I am complaining, Homebush is a graveyard for our Bledisloe ambitions.

Yep I like you barb, and thought they had to play in 1 inSydney

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Are they really contemplating tests in South Africa. On present evidence, that doesn't seem to show a lot of respect for the health and safety of the players.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are they really contemplating tests in South Africa. On present evidence, that doesn't seem to show a lot of respect for the health and safety of the players.

That was my first thought, too, but you'd have to assume they have a bubble-type arrangement in mind whereby both teams stay close to the venue & isolate from the general population. Looks like bokke will the MIQ for two weeks in Au & Pumas two weeks in NZ & again you'd imagine they won't be spending much time out & about.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

The Lions are going next month. There will be a bubble arrangement. Surely the Aus and Kiwi players can do same?

I do however predict that they will refuse to go and South Africa will come over and play all the games here and in NZ. Stockholm syndrome is a powerful thing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Lions are going next month. There will be a bubble arrangement. Surely the Aus and Kiwi players can do same?

I do however predict that they will refuse to go and South Africa will come over and play all the games here and in NZ. Stockholm syndrome is a powerful thing.

:D Good try Blue, I can see you just trying to wind everyone up, but you know it couldn't work without doubling at least the length of Comp with everyone quarantining each way.:p

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
50/22 & goal line dropout (but not Red Card replacement after 20min) Law Variations to apply to all comps world wide from 1 August on a one-year trial:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a.nrl-inspired-rule-changes-in-all-competitions

Didn't really see much of the 50/22 in action, how do people think it will affect Test footy?

One of McKenzie or McNuggets to very sadly, brutally, accidently take a cricket bat to the kneecaps while manicuring their mullets. Zarn Sullivan to be summoned as the replacement and immediately be promoted to starting fullback.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
50/22 & goal line dropout (but not Red Card replacement after 20min) Law Variations to apply to all comps world wide from 1 August on a one-year trial:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a.nrl-inspired-rule-changes-in-all-competitions

Didn't really see much of the 50/22 in action, how do people think it will affect Test footy?

That's the wrong way round.

Edit: 50/22 worked OK. It adds a few more elements to midfield attack. For example, you can quickly convert a midfield turnover into an attacking lineout. It also, in theory, opens up the flanks a bit as teams have to be ready for it.

Goal line drop out is, in my view, shocking. Rewards the defending team with nearly 50 metres of field position for failing to properly defend their line. Stupid.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirmation of the trial Law variations taking effect on 1/08:

· 50:22: This law trial is intended to create space via a tactical choice for players to drop out of the defensive line in order to prevent their opponents from kicking for touch, reducing impact of defensive line speed – operational in Super Rugby AU

· Goal-line drop out: This law trial is intended to reduce the number of scrums, reward good defence, encourage counter-attacking and increase the rate of ball in play – operational in Super Rugby AU, Super Rugby Aotearoa, Super Rugby transtasman and the Rainbow Cup Welfare-focused breakdown law amendments approved for global trial

· Pre-bound pods of players: Outlawing the practice of pods of three or more players being pre-bound prior to receiving the ball – the sanction will be a penalty kick

· Sanctioning the lower limb clear-out: Penalising players who target/drop their weight onto the lower limbs of a jackler – the sanction will be a penalty kick

· Tightening law relating to latching: One-player latch to be permitted, but this player has the same responsibilities as a first arriving player (i.e. must stay on feet, enter through gate and not fall to floor) – the sanction will be a penalty kick.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/ru...rials-from-august/C7QVQBHLLOJON4XBKR6WCIGM7A/

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
· Pre-bound pods of players: Outlawing the practice of pods of three or more players being pre-bound prior to receiving the ball – the sanction will be a penalty kick

Boks won't mind. They only use 2.

giphy.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
36-man AB squad being named today & likely to include Ofa who Foster says will be fit in time for Bledisloe 1, also possibly Moody who "may" be OK later in the comp in which case de Groot & Ta'avao most likely drop out. TJP technically available on the back of a Club game or two but Foster doesn't sound like he's about to,pick him.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...a-ian-foster-has-all-blacks-top-lineup-sorted