• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
For many a year, I have bitten my tongue at the deplorable antics of those idiots in that other code as they have tried their best, and usually succeeded, to bring the word rugby into disrepute not to mention me having to question whether Darwin had in fact got his theory of evolution.

Sex scandals, violence, drugs, gross indecency, rape, drunkenness, public nuisance, financial impropriety, community abuse through pokies, the list goes on. All of the offences usually met with just a token para or two in that shit rag called the Tele, a load of buffoonery on that abysmal TV show and everything goes on as normal.

But the episodes of the last two weeks have brought me to the end of my tether. Firstly, a star pinup boy of the 'sport' repeatedly swears at a referee in full view of the cameras with all his words clearly picked up by the audio. For some strange reason, the ref decides not to take any action on the pitch but quite rightly the player is hauled up before the judiciary who then decide to take no action. Given the player's very high profile status, there are no doubt hundreds, if not thousands, of poor misguided kids who will have posters of this plank pinned up on their bedroom wall who now think it is perfectly OK to abuse and swear at a referee or, by extension, any other authoritative figure in their life. Fine example set there.

And then in the past week, another pinup boy of the code stoops to the despicable act of headbutting another player. For this heinous crime, he doesnt get sent off but is placed on report and then brought before the judiciary. The wise old souls on the panel decide that because he didnt tilt his head right back before administering the blow, it wasnt really a headbutt and therefore doesnt deserve any punishment. Meanwhile, another player, not quite such a superstar pinup boy, correctly gets brought before the judiciary for a dangerous tackle and gets a week off for his troubles. This clearly sets the tone that it is OK to fight, give faux headbutts etc on the pitch but dont go too hard in the tackles. And again, no doubt some stupid impressionable kids will have seen there hero been told there is nothing wrong with issuing the odd headbutt or two and will take that into practise in the classrooms.

All up, the actions of that sport, all it stands for and the problems it cause makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

Oh yeah, and the game really sucks too.

There, got that off my chest.

Croks

Bob McCowan (2)
Riddler agree totally. But they couldn't suspend either f the superstars as Origin is next week and with the state of the game at the moment they couldn't lose these to players for the showpiece series!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
immediately rectify your mistake of calling it "rugby league" and rename this thread "mungoball really shits me" that is all...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great post Riddler. League's history is littered with judiciary inconsistencies of the type that have occured in the last few weeks. The only comment I would make is that I thought it would have been unfair for Hayne to miss out on SOO and Salter to be in as I thought both attempted some pretty bad foul play last Friday night and they were both lucky that they failed to execute properly.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rugby League refs are worse than refs in any other sport. I truly believe they are the worst officials in world sport. Every decision thrown to the video ref, about one sin bin a season and to make things worse, theres double the incompetence with two on the field.

E

El Barto

I'm with you louie, I don't even give league a thought really. Can't really attack them as such as we have dickheads in our game as well (every sport does).
Why even bother wasting our time on them, we only have to worry about our game.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Whilst my thoughts were primarily about the mungo game itself, my bigger concern is the damage it is doing to our community at large. Maybe a stupid statement/sentiment but a lot of kids in who dont necessarily find themselves in the best of circumstances will hold this sport and its superstars up in a shining light and infer that the behaviour and culture associated with it is the norm and should be imitated. Very sad and does us as a wider social society and community no favours at all.

My soapbox is beginning to creak under my weight so I'll get off it for now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought both would be suspended when I saw the footage! I was shocked when Slater wasn't Charged and amazed when Haynes got off. I know there was no damage done to either individual but the intent was there. I have notice in League that there are different rules enforced or not enforced for different games. This is of course nonsensical as the same rules should be applied at all times regardless of the "importance" of the game or how long is left on the clock.

As for the abuse of the Referee it is clearly disgraceful that the NRL hasn't stood up for their man. Referees are the Policemen of any sport and should be treated with respect at all times. Anyone disrespecting an official should have the book thrown at them. It would never happen in real life would it? The AFL's policy is a lot harsher and although some would say over the top when have you ever seen a player disrespecting one of them.

E

El Barto

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Whilst my thoughts were primarily about the mungo game itself, my bigger concern is the damage it is doing to our community at large. Maybe a stupid statement/sentiment but a lot of kids in who dont necessarily find themselves in the best of circumstances will hold this sport and its superstars up in a shining light and infer that the behaviour and culture associated with it is the norm and should be imitated. Very sad and does us as a wider social society and community no favours at all.

My soapbox is beginning to creak under my weight so I'll get off it for now.

LOL, Riddler. Get off the box, reinforce it and get back on it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Um -cough-. I would like to note that this forum or sub-forum (whatever it is called) is named 'Rugby Discussion'. I therefore fail to see how a thread about League belongs here!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Is Stephen Hoiles sitting on the judiciary? That's a rubbish call.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good post Riddler,

I watch quite a bit of league once the Super14 and European rugby stops and I have time, and have been following the Dragons for decades before pro rugby.

There is much to admire about the game: it is easy to understand, both as a new player and as a spectator - at the ground or watching it - it is a game of the people, as rugby union is in Wales, NZ and the RSA, and some of the players have some breathtaking skills. It has tribal passion at the ground also, which is enjoyable if the crowd is well behaved. You don't get that in union in Sydney unless you are at a schools match.

I still have trouble watching a whole game of league because there is too much sameness. I miss the technicalities of the set pieces and semi set pieces of union and the incessant contest for possession of the ball that is almost outlawed in league. IQ2 is great for watching the bits you want to watch .... but I digress.

One of the abiding blights on the game of league is the culture of disrespect for officials (and in soccer it is not so good either.) It would take only a few weeks of pinging players and sending them to the bin time after time for the penny to drop that their future income may be jeopardised - and that's something they understand - unless they improve in that area.

The referees don't help themselves with running commentaries such as: "Your off Josh, go back," and "That was high Fred." Familiarity does breed contempt. The refs obviously study the names of the teams they are refereeing that day before the match. They should address players by their numbers and if they can't see the numbers, well, they have proved they can recognise the guys so all they have to do is to memorise their numbers before the game also.

I've heard that when this argument has been used the response is that the players are not used to being addressed by numbers and some of them wouldn't know what they are anyway. These objections will dissolve as soon as players realise that their pockets may suffer down the track if they get a record of non-compliance.

C

chief

You learn in Under 10's as a player, you talk to the ref and your not the captain you get pulled off by the coach. I do admire the simpleness it has and how the key laws can be covered within 5 pages. Something which Rugby can't do, but I don't mind.

I love scrums, but I think they are far too dangerous and consuming so they should go. However this isn't a Rugby Laws forum.

Rugby League has a cultural problem which effectively Union does too. Representing your state over your country is something which pisses me off. However Rugby is now perceived as an elite game. It really isn't. I'm partly glad, as I've attended a RL game, and I've heard every word under the sun about refs and players some which go that little mile too far and talk about stalking refs and players when they make a mistake. For someone to swear at a ref is utter bullshit, however Jimmy Cowan did it in the S14 so we are guilty there as well.

Whenever I buy the Courier Mail on a morning I read the viewpoint section and am amused by what some of them have to say about players lacking integrity, and refs and video refs being biased how they missed a try or a forward pass. QLD are the chiefs of not getting over shit. I saw a reference to a controversial Origin game in 02 mentioned a few times within this last year. It's not just the players, administrators, its some of the supporters. I once saw a man coming back from a Reds match last year, the guy was drunk and he was abusing this man in a reds jersey (one of the few back in 09) he was insulting him about having a University degree and yelling about how League is the real rugby and only "queen sucking pooftas like union." That's the shit which pisses me off.

I think its worth the ARU throw some money at some state schools, and get them doing Rugby in a competition. Just the local state schools so they can play rugby. Would be a great addition and would help weed out Rugby's cultural problem.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw this as on the forum as: "Rugby League really gives me the shits" NEW

this is not new.

However we can take pride from the fact that our game is tougher, better and the original.
rugby players are the kindest blokes I have ever met and always took the time for an autograph. (even steve walsh once!) rugby union is the game for upper class citezens and that is why there are no brawls or knives sold at rugby matches mungoball is for the working class who are whimps and group hug instead of scrum.

In saying that though, Billy Slater is a very nice fellow, like all rugby players and Hayne should be sent to the gallows. (not really, i just dont like him that much)

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just give mungoball and those who play it the attention they deserve - none. Don't watch it, don't read about it, nothing.

Teach others to do the same.

Show them there is a better option - rugby.

B

BRIX

Don't know about all this League bashing. I thought Riddlers original post was a little bit self righteous. Fact is, league has a lot of history and a rich culture, it has suffered over the years in both crowd numbers and financial backing due to the exact off field discretions that were noted and clubs folding or merging.

This isn't a League V Union thing, never was. They're both professional sports played with a great deal of passion and pride. Lets not get ahead of ourselves and sound like a conga line of GPS parents'.

All and all, very un-union like if I may be so bold as to say.

Thanks for reading.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly my second son who's just 16 is on a scholarship with Melbourne Storm hates rugby as much as I dislike league...

Enjoy watching him play tho...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sadly my second son who's just 16 is on a scholarship with Melbourne Storm hates rugby as much as I dislike league...

Well if he's good enough I'm sure the ARU will come knockin on his door.....:)

I'm a tragic Warriors supporter and before they existed a Manly supporter (can't stand them now), but I like to watch the game. However the type of media exposure (not the level) and antics that seem to be a part of the "modern game" has as much appeal as a cold cup of spew.

The over the top bravado of some of the "greats" that don the TV stations, the constant bagging of union by Fatty, Elias and others is just playground childish, the constant pitching at the lowest common denominator all destract from what I think is a good game to watch and support.

With the money in teh game and constant need to find the next big thing etc, I can't see this trend changing. What I can't stand is that when an apparent "crisis" hits - ie Joey Johns, Sharks, SBW defection, Storm, IMO the game really doens't suffer but the OTT commentators and media pundits make it out that its bigger than the game and they all get a bit louder and annoying.

Like someone said earlier, it really is comical

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Oh well, league can pay for his development. And then you will get your way and he will come back to Union :).

Status
Not open for further replies.