• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This guy is either a massive troll or narcissist or both, but for the MLR administration and other owners to allow this is a joke. Makes a mockery of the entire competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
With the Jaguares players being allowed to sign in Europe you'd be expecting most of the player signing news to be coming out of France in regards to Argentina. But at present I've seen reports of at least 6 or so Argentina XV/Jaguares players (fringe) signing for Spanish clubs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RA dropping the ball and by the time they announced a new comp/allow foreign signings they're all gone.

I'm certain we can pay them more than whatever Spanish rugby is.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RA dropping the ball and by the time they announced a new comp/allow foreign signings they're all gone.

I'm certain we can pay them more than whatever Spainish rugby is.

A handful have also re-signed with MLR clubs. Most of these clubs across both competitions have around $1m AUD a season player budgets (in regards to MLR when lodging etc. is taken into the equation) as an average.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Common sense prevailed. which is rare with this issue these days.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...e/news-story/75d93b243850a271fd460160409fc869

Will be interesting to see what each country does.
Unpopular but i don't agree. Banning trans women is a simplistic solution to an incredibly complex problem. While obviously males and females are built differently but banning trans women would likely make them feel even more excluded and vulnerable. I reckon that a more appropriate solution would basically be a stricter version of the IOC guidelines - the upper level of testosterone for cis women is about 3nmol/L so implement that as the upper limit (and a few other things which I'll expand on when i get back to my laptop - mobile sucks for researching) and that would be a more appropriate solution.

Besides, one of the studies in the report was done by a transphobe who a) used a small sample size, b) had no control group of cis women and c) only focused on 1 muscle group (around the biceps i think?)

I'm not saying that trans women should be allowed to immediately participate in sports the second they realise they're trans, it's just that a blanket ban is going too far the other way. The IOC has somewhat managed to find a appropriate solution (whether it needs to be stricter or not is another debate) and imo strikes a balance between keeping the risk of injury and ensuring the sport remains inclusive (as it should be).

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Besides, I'm totally burned out and cranky from r/rugbyunion being totally unable to see my point (maybe i should have communicated it better but far out it was annoying)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
No idea where to put this but turns out World Rugby have changed the dates for the 5yr (60 month eligibility) rule to come into affect at the end of next year. This brings into place a few guys that now will be eligible for the wallabies that weren’t previously going to be for a decent amount of time within the next 12 months.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Got some names on who might now or soon be eligible R3?

Lomani and Malolua both have international caps so won't come into it. Douglas I think might have a Scotland cap? Will the change affect either of the Smith twins? Are there some other Saffas who might now qualify?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Louwrens would be eligible in 12months. Douglas still requires another 2 yrs, he went home during the World Cup to play for Edinburgh on a short term deal which reset his eligibility timeframe. Rebels young SA forward Eloff now also eligible in 12months. Kata would be available mid next year. Makes JP Smith eligible.

Overall not many I believe would be in the frame for national selection. I think the greater implications might be in the next off-season of signing to bolster squads if needed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they're pushing it back a year it means you need to be qualified by 31 December 2021 to fit within the three year requirement instead of needing 5.

How does Kata fit within that? He was still playing for the NZ Warriors in 2019 wasn't he?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m of the belief that anyone coming into the system before that date would have the 3yr eligibility applied to them. I could be wrong. You’re right about Kata, however he moved to Melbourne Storm during that season (just didn’t play a game), so would be mid ‘22