• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Final: England v South Africa

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
A few people were suggesting the Saffers have a bit left in the tank. If they can drag England into an arm wrestle then it might be a close game, but if the Poms are allowed to get quick ball and run through the midfield like they did on Saturday I fear they'll put them to the sword.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Please make it a good advertisement for rugby!
All we need in Australia is for a dirge of a final to compound the misery our own team's demise. Grassroots rugby needs all the positive injections it can get.
Imagine trying to revive CHS rugby in NSW with both those negatives weighing down your efforts.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I definitely feel England have got another gear they can go to, but I wonder about the Bokke. The Saffers best chance is to turn the game into attritional trench warfare and get their big centres and back rowers to make some metres up the middle. It certainly won't be a try fest based on what we've seen so far.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
There has to be some risk that England played their final already, given all the 2.5 years comments and the fact that they beat the And.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I definitely feel England have got another gear they can go to, but I wonder about the Bokke. The Saffers best chance is to turn the game into attritional trench warfare and get their big centres and back rowers to make some metres up the middle. It certainly won't be a try fest based on what we've seen so far.

Nope. Love it or hate it this is the style Rassie has the Boks playing. They aren't now suddenly going to start running everything. Perhaps a little bit of variation, but not a lot more.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's really the worlds best attacking team Verse the world's best defensive team. A tally of two styles of play.

Hard to go past England as their defence is superb as well and they just have more strings to their bow.

Either way I'm predicting a cracker of a match. Underhill with MOTM.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well you would have to think the Poms are rusted on favourites , but I will never underestimate the Bokke!!!!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Poms clear favourites. We have essentially won already. 18 months go Bok rugby was an utter shambles with no light at the end of the tunnel. People were spelling the end of Bok rugby for good.

To make the final is beyond all my expectations and for most other fans I'd say.

Cheika, Hansen, Schmidt, Gatland. All had a full four year cycle to build toward a final in 2019. Rassie had 16 months. 1.5 Rugby Championships. One off season. Making the final after being drawn with NZ in a group is actually f*cking amazing as far as I am concerned.

So do I give a toss if neutrals don't enjoy the game plan? Not much no.

I hate it myself, but I will take it for what it is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ll be barracking for the Springboks but I’m not anti-England.

Looking forward to the game. Really pleased these two got though (after WBs we’re sent home).

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would be nice if the Boks somehow managed to win. It would throw a few things out of the window,

I.E no RC or Tri nations champion has ever won the RWC and secondly that you need to win all your games in a RWC.

Odds are heavily stacked against the Boks, but hey, here's hoping.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Poms clear favourites. We have essentially won already. 18 months go Bok rugby was an utter shambles with no light at the end of the tunnel. People were spelling the end of Bok rugby for good.

To make the final is beyond all my expectations and for most other fans I'd say.

Cheika, Hansen, Schmidt, Gatland. All had a full four year cycle to build toward a final in 2019. Rassie had 16 months. 1.5 Rugby Championships. One off season. Making the final after being drawn with NZ in a group is actually f*cking amazing as far as I am concerned.

So do I give a toss if neutrals don't enjoy the game plan? Not much no.

I hate it myself, but I will take it for what it is.
All things considered losing to NZ in the group was a good move. Japan and Wales highly preferable to Ireland and England.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sorry in advance to our resident South Africans, but I'm backing the boks in this one.
giphy.webp

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Boks will need to lift their game, what I saw on the weekend isn't enough to beat the Soap Dodgers.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haha, "Skeeny" gets the final.

"Comms check, check-check. Jerome just wondering if you know where I could get some tickets to the rugby world cup final?"
"Skeeny, you don't need them. You're already here in the TMO booth."
"Happy to go with your on-field decision Jerome."

"Jerome, this final is so boring. Could I please leave at halftime?"
"No."

"Jerome, can I call you 'Jezza'? As your new nickname?"
"No."

"Jerome, all the passes in this match have been forward so far."
"Skeeny, are you sitting sideways again?"
"Oops, sorry, as you were."