• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF1: New Zealand v England

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So looks like Todd will be unavailable.

"Matt Todd has hurt that shoulder again, so we'll have to see how he goes," said Hansen in Tokyo on Sunday as he confirmed an otherwise fully fit squad. "It's probably unlikely he's going to be available."

Hansen explained it was not a new injury to the shoulder for the experienced openside flanker. "He dislocated it a wee while ago but got a bang on it yesterday, so we'll have to wait and see."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...t-todd-ruled-out-of-semifinal-against-england

Poor guy has no luck whatsoever when it comes to the All Blacks.

Otherwise everyone else is good to go, thankfully.

EDIT: If they do decide to replace him, I assume Papali'i would be first cab off the rank. But that all depends all on how serious it is.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So looks like Todd will be unavailable.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...t-todd-ruled-out-of-semifinal-against-england

Poor guy has no luck whatsoever when it comes to the All Blacks.

Otherwise everyone else is good to go, thankfully.

EDIT: If they do decide to replace him, I assume Papali'i would be first cab off the rank. But that all depends all on how serious it is.

Why would they replace him? You have both Cane and Savea who are among the very best at No 7, and plenty of cover for the backrow otherwise although I note a few NZ posters here aren't overly impressed with the likes of Frizzel.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
If they're looking to continue running with three opensides in the match-day squad then Frizel doesn't fit that bill. Read sorta could do it, but they could bring Papali'i over with relatively little trouble. Although I don't know how late they can leave it to allow Papali'i to be included in the semifinal team. The stand down is about 48 hours, I think?

Otherwise I suspect they'd be more likely to have S.Barrett cover the blindside from the bench, and Tuipulotu the locks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well early in the week but looking forward to this already. Trying to think of any changes ABs might make, none spring to mind at moment, but at this stage I still trying to get my head around what game plan Shag and co will take into game. Poms are a pretty good game I think, with Underhill and Curry being a combo that needs to be taken out of game . I bet Poms will have a pretty good plan to not get sucked into chasing out to quickly on defence, as the ABs I believe are masters at passing/kicking quickly to get ball to sideline attackers and than bring it back in field and finding fractured defensive system which is quite often the fatties as the quick boys have chased out wide. All in all a very tasty test coming up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As an outsider, I thought ALB looked out of place in the No 12 spot. After JG was replaced, ALB looked a lot more comfortable at 13. Maybe the mid field is one area where change could happen.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I worry that the NZ wingers will be exposed against the poms. Eng were looking to attack wide at every possible opportunity against Aus.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Todd wasn't actually that good off the bench vs Ireland. I think the extra bulk of either Frizell or Tuipulotu could be handy.

Nervous about what sort of tricks Eddie Jones has up his sleeve but excited to see us put everything out there against these guys.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm absolutely in favour of one-upping Steady Eddie and hiring Tony Brown as a temporary consultant in rugby attacking trickiness.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Man, I'm excited for this game. Either way I can't lose. Just hope it's a belter and NZ doesn't dominate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As an outsider, I thought ALB looked out of place in the No 12 spot. After JG was replaced, ALB looked a lot more comfortable at 13. Maybe the mid field is one area where change could happen.

Funny that BR,I always thought ALB was more a 12 than 13, but that probably because I saw and got keen on him as a 12, so you maybe right.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

Yeah on attack I think ALB suits 13 better as he has more space to use his pace, quick feet and offloading game. He certainly shone at 13 in Bledisloe 2 and in the opening game v Boks. JG could be a nice defensive option though if England go with Tuilagi at 13.