• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Adam Coleman declares for Tonga, joining over Aussie Steve Mafi in the row. Behind Fotuaika and Big Benny Tameifuna, they have some serious chonk.

I don't expect Tonga to beat them but they could put up a fight against Scotland. Similar to Fiji their halves let them down but their back 5 is pretty deadly. Tonga went well in their end of year games too. I'll be watching them keenly.

1. Feao Fotuaika
2. Samiuela Moli
3. Ben Tameifuna
4. Steve Mafi
5. Adam Coleman
6. Vaea Fifita
7. Sione Havili Talitui
8. Solomone Funaki/Lopeti Timani
9. Augustine Pulu
10. William Havili
11. Israel Folau
12. Pita Ahki
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Solomone Kata
15. Charles Piutau

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
it's a tough team no doubt. We will have the benefit of a strong schedule however: 2 weeks off after the opener against South Africa, then Romania the next week before Ireland, whereas Tonga has us between South Africa and Ireland in three consecutive games. You can safely presume that the fixture won't be taken lightly and that our best 23 fronts up for it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
it's a tough team no doubt. We will have the benefit of a strong schedule however: 2 weeks off after the opener against South Africa, then Romania the next week before Ireland, whereas Tonga has us between South Africa and Ireland in three consecutive games. You can safely presume that the fixture won't be taken lightly and that our best 23 fronts up for it.
Yeah right, that's a very favourable schedule for you guys. Should definitely be able to pull away comfortably, also I only listed a XV, not sure how they'll go in the final quarter or if anyone first choice gets injured.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
5489E378-5E08-4539-8E3B-5521957E9E81.jpeg
C5966658-6A49-4E8E-996D-75C928989CC5.jpeg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Samoa's a little naughty there. Capturing USA players who elected to turn out for Samoa instead of help the US qualify. I wonder if we'll see a tightening of the laws after this RWC. Dempsey and others make it a bit of a joke.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Samoa's a little naughty there. Capturing USA players who elected to turn out for Samoa instead of help the US qualify. I wonder if we'll see a tightening of the laws after this RWC. Dempsey and others make it a bit of a joke.
True. I'm hoping over the next couple of years we will see the US & Canada pick up guys from the MLR. I know the MLR isn't getting stars in their prime but there is definetely guys better than some of the current Eagles. Age might beat him to it but I'd bet Bill Meakes is good enough to be the US Inside.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't Meakes play for the Aus Sevens side at some point? That would make him ineligible for the US regardless no?
He did. Forgot about that. Was last year in LA the last one I think. But, there will be a lot of others become eligible over the next couple of years. A lot of Kiwis, UK and Argies over there

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He did. Forgot about that. Was last year in LA the last one I think. But, there will be a lot of others become eligible over the next couple of years. A lot of Kiwis, UK and Argies over there
Not sure about all the foreign player, but I know plenty of them in the MLR still play some club rugby/NPC in the off season back home. This would almost certainly reset their eligibility each time, at least as far as the 5 year qualification is concerned. There just isn't enough money in most MLR contracts to be capturing these guys for the Eagles, and when there is it goes to retiring test stars like Giteau and Nonu who will never be eligible.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

any ideas what the the Samoa best XV look like?

1 Faumaini/Toomaga Allen
3 Alalatoaa/Lay
4 Curry
6 Seu/Luatua/Jordan Taufua
7 Miracle Failagi
8 Jack Lam
9 Enari/Taumateine
10 Sopoaga/Leilafano
11 TNW
12 Toala
13 D'Angelo Leuilua

Only 2 go through from Eng, Arg, Japan and Samoa?

LOL, even with their unlimited expenses training camp (already underway ffs) Japan will be bricking it about making it out of their RWC group now.....

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wish things like SS and QPR didn't do that. Guys like Mack Mason, Hugh Roach, Maclean Jones come to mind as guys that have been there for 3-4 years. There are also a few guys starting to go to the US and play College Rugby from the Private Schools here. No idea about the scholarship system with Rugby but nice to see it growing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
any ideas what the the Samoa best XV look like?

1 Faumaini/Toomaga Allen
3 Alalatoaa/Lay
4 Curry
6 Seu/Luatua/Jordan Taufua
7 Miracle Failagi
8 Jack Lam
9 Enari/Taumateine
10 Sopoaga/Leilafano
11 TNW
12 Toala
13 D'Angelo Leuilua

Only 2 go through from Eng, Arg, Japan and Samoa?

LOL, even with their unlimited expenses training camp (already underway ffs) Japan will be bricking it about making it out of their RWC group now.....
Who do we think is the team most nervous about the pools?

Japan - Already against it with England and Argentina and now Samoa gone for it
Wales - What a pilling heap of cachu. Fiji, Georgia want a piece of them. I'm separately nervous about Australia.
Scotland - Tonga have gone all gas no breaks and will win more than 1 game. Also fully prepared for Ireland to Amber Heard it with Dads Army out there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who do we think is the team most nervous about the pools?

Japan - Already against it with England and Argentina and now Samoa gone for it
Wales - What a pilling heap of cachu. Fiji, Georgia want a piece of them. I'm separately nervous about Australia.
Scotland - Tonga have gone all gas no breaks and will win more than 1 game. Also fully prepared for Ireland to Amber Heard it with Dads Army out there.
I think Wales must be the team most bricking it. The others aren't favourites to go through so no pressure, they're darkhorses. Whereas Wales could potentially lose to Fiji and/or Georgia.

The other one that might be nervous is South Africa. Scotland can beat them 20% of the time. Get vintage Hogg and not-shit Russell and there could be a boil over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With them adding an extra week to the pool games to reduce short turnarounds it will be interesting to see whether this changes team selections.

Arguably there is less need now to rest various players for one of the pool games.

Previously it made sense for the third or fourth ranked teams in a pool to effectively sacrifice the game against the strongest team in their pool and not pick their number one side and instead focus on getting an upset victory against the second and third ranked side.

E.g. in 2019 Uruguay targeted the Fiji game and got a win there whereas Fiji were resting players in that match.

Is the best way for a team to make the quarter finals unexpectedly to target three wins and the best chance of achieving that is to actually ignore their match against the top team in the pool?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The other one that might be nervous is South Africa. Scotland can beat them 20% of the time. Get vintage Hogg and not-shit Russell and there could be a boil over.
Everyone talking up France or Ireland, I reckon they'll wilt under the expectation. That's when the bokkes usually ride in and bludgeon everyone to death and win the whole thing again.

Can we please have a proper RWC thread yet @Braveheart81 or is it too early?

Also can I go to Cyclo's house at 2 am to watch all the matches?