• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC viewing options outside AUS & UK...help for the expat community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Hey mods.....this is my 4th RWC as an expat and it has taken 16 years for me to be able to "access" rugby matches with similar ease as to what I was used to before I left Aussie shores. I live in the US these days and although we do have access to a few free-to-air matches with DirectTV, all the other are PPV at $37.95 / match. I would be happy to share my tips for the best alternate & legal viewing options privately with anyone who may be interested or need assistance. I am not spamming anyone and genuinely want to help any other gaggers out there who may find themselves on distant shores during this special time. If anyone needs some help feel free to PM me as I would be happy to share what I know.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
If you are "in the UK", ITV streams the matches online free of charge on their website.

I thought that was going to be the case BH but apparently not. Your are correct in that the RWC matches are being broadcast live on free-to-air ITV channels ITV-3 & ITV-4 but not online through i-player. That was my old "Plan-A" which I was lucky enough figure out early enough for me to come up with Plan B.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You can watch live all the ITV channels on their website if you are in the UK.

Replays are available of all the matches through their ITVplayer.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
all the other are PPV at $37.95 / match.

That's outrageous. Maybe it's just too expensive, but you'd think it would be worth World Rugby subsidising broadcast in the US, even if just enough to allow it to be broadcast on cable on a non pay-per-view basis.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Yep, it is pretty outrageous. $37.95 for HD broadcast and $27.95 for standard definition. All of the US Eagles matches are free to air in SD as was the opening ceremony and the England-Fiji Match. That all said, 15 years ago there was nothing, then a few years later we would get a few super rugby matches through FoxSoccerPlus channel on cable. It has come along way since then and gone are the days of having to watch things via illegal online streams of streaming PPV. I now enjoy all the super rugby live, plus TRC, Currie Cup, ITM, a lot of nothern hemisphere rugby except for the Top14. I still have to hook into Foxtel Go to watch the NRC and magazine shows but that's ok with me.

Anyway, its not uncommon to hear the odd punter here on the boards asking for help when they find themselves stuck here in the US during a big game and not knowing where to turn. If any of you find yourself in this position just let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought that was going to be the case BH but apparently not. Your are correct in that the RWC matches are being broadcast live on free-to-air ITV channels ITV-3 & ITV-4 but not online through i-player. That was my old "Plan-A" which I was lucky enough figure out early enough for me to come up with Plan B.

That's odd, I could have sworn I was watching the Georgia v Tonga and Ireland V Canada matches live on the itv app on my android tablet, but perhaps I just imagined it?

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone got any helpful hints for Spain, Netherlands, Germany?

Hawko, how are you "accessing" the media? Phone, tablet or PC....and what type of connection will you be using? Mobile data, hotel wifi, someone's home wifi? Any limitations with the connection speed of amount of data to keep in mind?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko, how are you "accessing" the media? Phone, tablet or PC..and what type of connection will you be using? Mobile data, hotel wifi, someone's home wifi? Any limitations with the connection speed of amount of data to keep in mind?

PC. Hotel wifi (pretty good at this hotel, but some others have been abominable).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hawko, if you're in "Spain, Netherlands, Germany" possibly an airline ticket combined with a train connection might help you view the matches perfectly..... :rolleyes:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko, if you're in "Spain, Netherlands, Germany" possibly an airline ticket combined with a train connection might help you view the matches perfectly... :rolleyes:

Except I am holidaying with my wife, including a 14 day river cruise. I want to remain married!

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
PC. Hotel wifi (pretty good at this hotel, but some others have been abominable).

go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what sort of speeds you can get over the hotel wifi. If you can get a solid 3mbs then your best bet is a simple VPN program installed on your laptop (i use IP Vanish). Once you have that running then ITV channel's webplayer will give you the best free streaming video quality. The quality from the NZ v Namibia match today was good enough to be able to stream to my bigsceen in the living room, which was a pleasant surprise. Better than FoxtelGO by a great deal. To keep on top of the broadcast times I recommend installing the UK TV guide app on your phone as it will adjust to you local timezone as you travel.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You can watch live all the ITV channels on their website if you are in the UK.

Replays are available of all the matches through their ITVplayer.

Correct me if I've overemphasised this, but the key to unlocking the "in the UK" deadlock is a "Vee Pea En".

I've got a Foxtel Play account now and can't believe I battled with the "temptation" of illegal streams for so long. If you're outside of Aus, combining the Foxtel Play account (or trial) and the "Vee Pea En" should get you excellent access.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Correct me if I've overemphasised this, but the key to unlocking the "in the UK" deadlock is a "Vee Pea En".

I've got a Foxtel Play account now and can't believe I battled with the "temptation" of illegal streams for so long. If you're outside of Aus, combining the Foxtel Play account (or trial) and the "Vee Pea En" should get you excellent access.

Yes, you have correctly read between the lines of "in the UK".

I'm pretty sure we're sailing fairly close to the wind in terms of discussing how to watch matches now...

I've got Foxtel so thankfully this is all hypothetical. ;)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I might add that for those in Australia the Foxtel Play account is affordable and works reasonably well. A few bugs in the program itself but it delivers a quality feed.

Other means of organising one's personal online privacy are of course their business alone!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what sort of speeds you can get over the hotel wifi. If you can get a solid 3mbs then your best bet is a simple VPN program installed on your laptop (i use IP Vanish). Once you have that running then ITV channel's webplayer will give you the best free streaming video quality. The quality from the NZ v Namibia match today was good enough to be able to stream to my bigsceen in the living room, which was a pleasant surprise. Better than FoxtelGO by a great deal. To keep on top of the broadcast times I recommend installing the UK TV guide app on your phone as it will adjust to you local timezone as you travel.

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.