• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 in SA this year. What will happen if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Apparently if Nelson Mandella dies, SA will have 10 days of mourning, and maybe no sport to be played, I wonder how this will affect the S15, as potentially Blues could miss out on the chance of some points, and semi spot, could blow Bulls chances of being in top 2 for home final etc if they get that far. It sure could result in some intersting discussions!!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
at the moment if that happens the games will be called off and the matches will be called a draw, however the saru are in talks with the government to get a exemption to have the games played.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I imagine if it happesn in aweek or so ,they may have to move their home semi off shore if government doesn't agree

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rdiculous, why bring a country to stand still.

Because maybe the fact that Mandela was a talisman to post-apartheid South Africa. He has become one of the most prominent people in South African history, and that is how the South Africans choose to mourn a former leader.

I'm not South African though, so I don't know for sure. But be a bit more sensitive next time.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Because maybe the fact that Mandela was a talisman to post-apartheid South Africa. He has become one of the most prominent people in South African history, and that is how the South Africans choose to mourn a former leader.

I'm not South African though, so I don't know for sure. But be a bit more sensitive next time.

not about being sensitive, by all means respect the man, but do you really think his wish is for the whole country ceasing to function for 10 days (wtf is it 10 days anyway?) when he dies? Im versy suprised that it would be allowed to happen with tv deals in place etc

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Would he want his country brought to a stands still?

On another note, let the old man pass away in peace and with dignity. To many people clinging onto him for selfish reasons. I understand how gut wrenching it would be for family (having been in this situation myself) but they have to think of his best interests first. At 94 he won't get any better and it is time to just let him go in peace and SA needs to find its own way as he was never going to live forever.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There may be some traditional tribal/cultural mourning protocols to be observed when a great leader dies.

Any Saffers on here up to speed on the protocols?

We shouldn't judge what other countries do based on our christian values and what we would do in a similar situation.

I am sure that other cultures looked on with bemusement when we were burning witches a year or two back?

On the other hand, why did we stop. The Stepmother in law is........

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
its a very small token of respect and appreciation that doesn't affect anybody or anything, completely different

And what if it's a great man who has died that you actually want to give more than a 'very small token of respect and appreciation'?

And stopping a game for 1min silence does affect something - it's 1 min you can't play rugby for. It's a very small affect but it is an affect.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
And what if it's a great man who has died that you actually want to give more than a 'very small token of respect and appreciation'?

And stopping a game for 1min silence does affect something - it's 1 min you can't play rugby for. It's a very small affect but it is an affect.

o_O don't be such a ass. You don't lose anything by giving a minutes silence, its not like they cut the game short and only play 79 minutes. Possibly the stupidest thing ive ever seen written on here.......

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
o_O don't be such a ass. You don't lose anything by giving a minutes silence, its not like they cut the game short and only play 79 minutes. Possibly the stupidest thing ive ever seen written on here...

I'm not being an ass. The point, if you have the comprehension to grasp it, is that we deem some people to have earned more respect and appreciation for what they have done than stopping our lives or holding up a game for 1-min signifies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not being an ass. The point, if you have the comprehension to grasp it, is that we deem some people to have earned more respect and appreciation for what they have done than stopping our lives or holding up a game for 1-min signifies.

course you are, you were trying to be a smartass and say a minute silence had a impact on a game

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
course you are, you were trying to be a smartass and say a minute silence had a impact on a game

I never said that it had an impact - I said it had an affect.

And while you obviously don't have the comprehension to grasp the point, you do seem to believe that you can read minds. Fascinating!

Now I'm being a smartass....

Status
Not open for further replies.