• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sanix Youth Tournament: Japan

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This one usually the sort of measurement in the world of schoolboy rugby. Results for the first three rounds and now going into semis stage.
Results, Round 3

Pool A

Glenwood High Schools vs Tenri High School, 31-0
Higashi Fukuoka High School vs Higashi Fukuoka High School, 52-8

Pool B

Ivybridge Community College vs Saga Technical High School, 29-8
Josho Gakuen High vs Baekshin High School, 84-0

Pool C

De La Salle College vs Kokugakuin Univ. Kugayama High School, 40-13
Gose Industrial High School vs Fushimi Technical High School, 38-0

Pool D:

Hamilton Boys' High School vs Josho Keiko Gakuen High School, 57-0
Dax Landes High School vs Ryutsu Keizai Univ. Kashiwa High School, 31-0

Pool E:

Prairiewood High School vs Oita Maizuru High, 14-10
Kyoto Seisho High School vs Carson Graham Secondary School, 37-5

Results, Rounds 1 & 2

Pool A:

Glenwood High School vs Higashi Fukuoka High School vs 52-9
Glenwood High School vs Higashi Fukuoka High School, 28-15
Higashi Fukuoka High School vs Tenri High School, 22-12
Tenri High School vs Tonga High School, 5-5

Pool B

Ivybridge Community College vs Josho Gakuen High, 36-15
Ivybridge Community College vs Baekshin High School, 87-3
Josho Gakuen High School vs Saga Technical High School, 52-7
Saga Technical High School vs Baekshin High School, 53-7

Pool C:

De La Salle College vs Gose Industrial High School, 36-10
De La Salle College vs Fushimi Technical High School, 27-0
Kokugakuin Univ. Kugayama High School vs Gose Industrial High School, 19-5
Kokugakuin Univ. Kugayama High School vs Fushimi Technical High School, 19-12

Pool D:

Hamilton Boys' High School vs Dax Landes High School, 32-8
Hamilton Boys' High School vs Ryutsu Keizai Univ. Kashiwa High School, 57-0
Dax LandesHigh School vs Josho Keiko Gakuen High School, 34-12
Josho Keiko Gakuen High School vs Ryutsu Keizai Univ. Kashiwa High School, 36-7

Pool E:

Prairiewood High School vs Kyoto Seisho High School, 22-14
Prairiewood High School vs Carson Graham Secondary School, 34-8
Kyoto Seisho High School vs Oita Maizuru High, 17-10
Oita Maizuru High School vs Carson GrahamSecondary School, 26-22

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
After the quarterfinals of the Sanix World Rugby Youth Invitational Tournament Glenwood are through to the semifinals and will play the Lyc?e de Borda, known at the tournament as Dax Landes High School of France.

In the other semifinal De La Salle play Higashi Fukuoka.

Quarterfinal results

Glenwood High Schools vs Josho Gakuen High , 29-17
Higashi Fukuoka High School vs Ivybridge Community College, 32-27
De La Salle College vs Prairiewood High School, 43-12
Dax Landes High School vs Hamilton Boys' High School, 10-3

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's usually one team each from Australia, NZ, Canada, France and England. This year the Oz team is Prairiewood HS. Last year it was Eddie's and the year before it was Westfields Sports HS who won the whole thing. In past years Eddie's (again), Stannie's, King's, Southport, Marist College Pearce and Joeys have represented Australia.

This year Prairiewood HS came 8th out of 20, quite commendable.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee I havent had much response here but on TSF we had some disscussions about this. The French school won it. Pretty disappointing Glenwood could not hold on to it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
See the 2010 tournament is on the go.

Rugby365
Marais Viljoen through to Sanix semis
Sun, 02 May 2010 14:26

Marais Viljoen of Alberton are through to the semifinals of the SANIX World Rugby Youth Tournament being played in Fukuoka, Japan. Marais Viljoen won their pool.

There are 16 teams taking part, eight from Japan and eight from abroad. The 16 teams are divided into four pools of four teams each. Marais Viljoen are in Pool B.

The teams taking part are:

From abroad: Korea High School Selected Team (Korea), Marais Viljoen High School (South Africa), Lycée Dax Landes (France), Ratu Kadavulevu School (Fiji), Truro College (England), The British School (Uruguay), Hamilton Boys’ High School (New Zealand), The Hills Sports High School (Australia),

From Japan: Osaka Korea High School, Ryutsu Keizai Univ. Kashiwa H.S., Higashi Fukuoka High School (Fukuoka), Kyoto Seisho High School (Kyoto), Kokura High School (Fukuoka), Toin Gakuen High School (Kanagawa), Saga Technical High School (Saga), Fushimi Technical High School (Kyoto)

Marais Viljoen's results:
Day 1: Marais Viljoen vs Kyoto Seisho, 28-8
Day 2: Marais Viljoen vs Keisho, 17-14
Day 3: Marais Viljoen vs Ratu Kadavulevu, 21-12
Quarterfinal: Marais Viljoen vs Toin Gakuen, 20-18

Marais Viljoen reports from Fukuoka: "It has been a great experience for us so far and the players have learnt a lot.

"We play against from England in the semifinal on Tuesday. The standard of play is second to none and especially the Japan sides have got a fighting spirit, core stability and amazing way to stay on their feet which is equaled by few other teams.

"The other side storming through the tournament is Hamilton boys from New Zealand who play The Hills form Australia in the other semifinal. Hamilton beat a Korean side 103-3."

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Link here to the pool matches: http://sanix-sports.info/rugby/2010/result/e-result.pdf

The Hills Sports High team finished top of Pool 4, non-Japanese sides topped every pool. HSH beat one of the Japanese schools 24-10 in their quarter-final and now face Hamilton BHS in a semi-final some time today. The Kiwis beat another Japanese school 103-3 in their quarter. The winning quarter-finalists are Truro College (Eng), Marais Viljoen HS (RSA) and the two Australasian sides. Truro beat Dax Landes HS from France 21-20 in their quarter.

I'm delighted to report there are four boys from the Hills team playing Colts for the Pirates. There was an article about this team in the Daily Telegraph a few weeks ago when they pointed out the HSH pigs outweighed the Tahs, they have a few PI boys in the mould of Rodney Blake, ie, massive but unfit for pro rugby. The mungoes have already signed a few of these boys, one or two by Melbourne Storm IIRC. Maybe rugby can snag a few of those back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PB

Lindommer's comment on the mungoes (= rugby league teams) may make you realised why we rugby union fans hate hearing South African commentators saying things like.... "Ryan Cross, the rugby league player; Rod Davies, from rugby league; etc etc".

A lot of the "league players" like Davies, Cross, Chambers, Barnes etc. were poached straight from their schools rugby union 1st XV and many have been in Oz Schools rugby union teams.

As I have mentioned before: we lose a lot of our juniors who want to play professionally to league, and a majority of the lads who play both codes as juniors. There are 15 Oz pro league teams to get jobs in whilst union has only 4. Sydney boys don't have to even leave the city as there are several teams here; they can still enjoy mum's cooking for a couple of years.

Also, they can earn some money the year after leaving school, whereas only the cream can do that in rugby union. Typically they end up in amateur academies and look jealously at mates earning mungo coin.

It's an old song I sing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Final results: Hamilton BHS d Hills Sports HS 18-0 in their semi-final and went on to defeat Troro College (Eng) 40-8 in the final. HSH beat Marais Viljoen HS 40-8 in the 3/4 playoff. HSH's gun second-rower, Steve Cummins, who plays in the Pirates' Colts 1s, hurt his foot and may require surgery. A damned shame as Steve hoped to make Schoolboys this year after playing for Australian Schoolboys A in 2009.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
PB

Lindommer's comment on the mungoes (= rugby league teams) may make you realised why we rugby union fans hate hearing South African commentators saying things like.... "Ryan Cross, the rugby league player; Rod Davies, from rugby league; etc etc".

A lot of the "league players" like Davies, Cross, Chambers, Barnes etc. were poached straight from their schools rugby union 1st XV and many have been in Oz Schools rugby union teams.

As I have mentioned before: we lose a lot of our juniors who want to play professionally to league, and a majority of the lads who play both codes as juniors. There are 15 Oz pro league teams to get jobs in whilst union has only 4. Sydney boys don't have to even leave the city as there are several teams here; they can still enjoy mum's cooking for a couple of years.

Also, they can earn some money the year after leaving school, whereas only the cream can do that in rugby union. Typically they end up in amateur academies and look jealously at mates earning mungo coin.

It's an old song I sing.
Thanks Oom, ja that will be a huge problem. Pittty you dont have a CC. The CC help our young talent to get straight into Academies and contracted.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We already know that PB. If we had the market for rugby union that South Africa has we could afford to have our Currie Cup. But unlike your country we have Aussie Rules and Rugby league to contend with as well as soccer as the RSA does also.

PB imagine if South Africa had 15 professional rugby league teams and 16 professional teams of another football code - lets call it South African Rules football. Imagine further that you had only 4 professional rugby teams playing in the Super 14.

You'd like to have another competition below the Super14 - let's call it the Chili Cup - but it's going to cost money you don't have. Because rugby is a minority sport in the RSA in this scenario, you don't have TV revenue coming in from the Chili Cup - in fact you have to pay a broadcaster to put on two games a week as we did in 2007 in our one year of having a semi-professional domestic comp.

The questions are: if you had what we had, would the South Africans teams be as competitive in Super rugby as ours are and would the Boks be as good as the Wallabies are now - let alone as good as our teams would be if we had your advantages?

The easy response is that the questions don't have to be answered because you don't have our problems - but I'm just pointing out to you and other Saffers that it's not instructive to us to say we should have a Currie Cup.

We've always known that and always will.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
oom Lee ja its unimagenable for us. The single reason why rugby is strong here is that its a culture thing. We have rugby in our schools, granny was there, dad was there and son is there. They all grow up in houses where rugby is the game and this way it goes from one generation to the next one. Poofball is big here and you wont change easily from a rugby to a poofball household. Now I dunno the Aus set up but wont it be difficult for your kid growing up in a Waratah and Wallaby house to change to Aussie Rule team supporter?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
PaarlBok said:
oom Lee ja its unimagenable for us. The single reason why rugby is strong here is that its a culture thing. We have rugby in our schools, granny was there, dad was there and son is there. They all grow up in houses where rugby is the game and this way it goes from one generation to the next one. Poofball is big here and you wont change easily from a rugby to a poofball household. Now I dunno the Aus set up but wont it be difficult for your kid growing up in a Waratah and Wallaby house to change to Aussie Rule team supporter?

Part of the problem is perception. Rugby will have to work very hard to become an attractive option. Sports become flavour of the month a lot, although im sure this happens in SA (is the football bandwagon already filling up for the WC?). Kids do just switch alliegances. I know a few guys that have started watching league one day and havent watched a game of union since, and guys that have done the opposite. Im not really in western sydney, sort of out that way though, and i think this is one of the best potential markets for the game available.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja the Poofball WC is firing high in this part (every friday they wear poofball clothing to work to get the gees(spirit) going, myself wear my Paul Roos Bok jersey in stead, but that wont change rugby playing kids suddenly deciding to play poofball.

My own kids play field hockey and I am just glad they do sport , others play rugby. We have options in winter and summer sports and the Prymary lot play both (hockey and rugby) and will pick one going to High School.

Thing is the houshold, ma , pa , Boet, sussie all understand rugby and support mostly the same team and rugby play a huge role in the house.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know who chooses the Oz schools team for the tournament but they are not the best in the country and I suppose it is the same for the other nations.

The Oz teams recently seem to be from Sydney or the ACT and outside of the big rugby private school groups GPS and CAS in Sydney, though Kings went in 2000 and won it. Brisbane teams don't seem to go these days, but Brisbane High School had one of the best Oz schools teams in the the last 10 years in 2009 and would have done some damage. TSS made the final in 2005 though.

The Oz Schools recently have been:

2006 - Marist Bros. (ACT)
2007 - Westfields won it - funny - they play league more don't they?
2008 - St.Edmunds (ACT) 4th
2009 - Pairiewood (Sydney)
2010 - Hills (Sydney) 3rd
2011 - St. Augustines

This competition does not purport to be a world schools championship but it must be a wonderful experience for the lads from all countries to represent their nation.

Maybe by accident, but St.Augustines next year will be one of the best Oz schools to represent Oz at the tournament since 2000. That's based on this years form. They play on Monday for the Waratah Shield but you never know how good a school team is going to be 12 months from now. They have a few lads coming back in 2011 so we will have to watch this space.

Papa would like another trophy.

T

the berries

Even though I am a die hard Hills supporter. After the Waratah shield I wish the Augies well and I believe they can bring back the silverware.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well said.

The Hills boys must be dying hard too. They've had a rough schedule. They played Stannies on Mon 30 August, and many boys were in the CHS team on Wed. 1 Sep. I'd say that some played Colts last weekend also.