• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SANZAAR Fan Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looks like SANZAAR have started part of their planned review and research effort by gathering data via a fan survey. I've already added my two cents. One of the main suggestions was investigating new broadcast mediums particularly on the social media side of the equation. Work on integrating fan engagement as well. Twitter recently inked a deal with the NFL for Thursday Boght Football so there is a precedent.

Anyway, here's the link.https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2837906/SANZAAR-Fan-Survey

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Done. My suggestion for "what new initiatives would you like to see in Super Rugby" was neutral referees. Other than Joubert those Saffa refs on their home games are bad for my blood pressure.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Done - I made the point that I wanted better scheduling of broadcasts for games in Oz - none of these weekends where there are no games in normal times for the whole weekend because they have scheduled all the Oz teams to have a bye or be playing in the middle of the night - have games Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I also asked that they get better analysis for broadcasts - don't rely on players just because they have been Wallabies - get ex coaches, journalists etc, and if you get a player give them the brief that they have to provide insightful analysis not one eyed boorish rubbish like they were down the pub.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The questions about midweek games are interesting - along with the Saturday afternoon question.

Looks like they're prepping for a bit of a spread. Maybe to help with the time zones issue?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They don't ask the questions that they need to: 'are there too many teams?' or 'is this competition now a convoluted mess?' or 'do you understand how the finals system works?'.

I feel like those responses would be interesting.

IMO I reckon that SANZAAR really needs to expand into the PI's and set up Super Rugby teams there (Nadi, Suva, Apia and Nuku'alofa) so that we can try something to stop the player drain. That and also tour the PI's with the national teams more often.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
IMO I reckon that SANZAAR really needs to expand into the PI's and set up Super Rugby teams there (Nadi, Suva, Apia and Nuku'alofa) so that we can try something to stop the player drain. That and also tour the PI's with the national teams more often.
Who's player drain do you mean?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who's player drain do you mean?

The player drain from the PI's. Well actually the fact that the NH clubs control over them playing for their countries (i.e. threatening release from contracts, being effectively forced into international retirement and that massive controversy last year about agents signing young PI players to contracts then dumping them or something)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The player drain from the PI's. Well actually the fact that the NH clubs control over them playing for their countries (i.e. threatening release from contracts, being effectively forced into international retirement and that massive controversy last year about agents signing young PI players to contracts then dumping them or something)
Do you think a) they'd be able to offer a salary that would make a meaningful difference and b)would you be happy for player drain to increase in the other countries (eg Australia) to fund it?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Do you think a) they'd be able to offer a salary that would make a meaningful difference and b)would you be happy for player drain to increase in the other countries (eg Australia) to fund it?

For a) hopefully the notion of being able to play for a local PI team will be a bit of a carrot (unlikely though). They would also have to implement a policy of having to play for the local team/s to be selected for the national team. Also how would an increase in PI players going to a hypothetical PI Super Rugby team increase the player drain in other countries?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How would the SANZAAR countries fund it?

We can barely support teams in Australia that have millions of dollars more revenue than a PI based team would.

Is the situation getting better? It would seem to me that the fact there are more PI players in the top teams in Europe still playing test rugby as well as more South African and Australian players who are getting released under Reg 9 means that it is becoming the norm.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
They don't ask the questions that they need to: 'are there too many teams?' or 'is this competition now a convoluted mess?' or 'do you understand how the finals system works?'.

I feel like those responses would be interesting.
That's what market researchers may refer to bias/leading questions ;)
I saw a presentation by the SANZAAR CEO recently and although he didn't directly say it, my take was that theyre not happy with the current structure, but it's a challenge bringing so many different Unions together with different needs, Without the added interference from the SA government. Essentially the Kings inclusion stuffed everything up.
They are very keen to expand again in the next round. There is only one continent they don't wont a foot print in (Antartica).
You would suspect it would bring about closed conferences. Europe/Africa, Aust/NZ/Asia, Nth/Sth America.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
For a) hopefully the notion of being able to play for a local PI team will be a bit of a carrot (unlikely though). They would also have to implement a policy of having to play for the local team/s to be selected for the national team. Also how would an increase in PI players going to a hypothetical PI Super Rugby team increase the player drain in other countries?
Limited revenue increase divided by a much larger player base.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks Strewthcobber and Bravehart81.

Now that I think about it SANZAAR should combine with the PI's and lobby for a 'tariff' (or something) to discourage NH clubs from signing every SH player under the sun and for additional funding for the PI's (as long as they sort their shit out with the officials stealing money)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks Strewthcobber and Bravehart81.

Now that I think about it SANZAAR should combine with the PI's and lobby for a 'tariff' (or something) to discourage NH clubs from signing every SH player under the sun and for additional funding for the PI's (as long as they sort their shit out with the officials stealing money)
I am wary of any sort of structure that tries to limit Fijians, Samoans and Tongans (or anyone else really) from making as much money as possible playing rugby. Often that will mean going to Europe. For our guys it's a bit of extra coin' but for lots of others it really is life changing for them and their families.

Does that mean a properly structured international window and global season? Probably. It's what my feedback to SANZAAR included

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am wary of any sort of structure that tries to limit Fijians, Samoans and Tongans (or anyone else really) from making as much money as possible playing rugby. Often that will mean going to Europe. For our guys it's a bit of extra coin' but for lots of others it really is life changing for them and their families.

Does that mean a properly structured international window and global season? Probably. It's what my feedback to SANZAAR included

The comment about the tariff was more general, but fair point

Status
Not open for further replies.