• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School rowing 2022

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard there was controversy in the 1st 8 race between Kings and Shore wrt lane infringement and manhandling one of the boys oars by the coxswain. Would have though DQ if true ?

MR

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Heard there was controversy in the 1st 8 race between Kings and Shore wrt lane infringement and manhandling one of the boys oars by the coxswain. Would have though DQ if true ?

MR

Heres a link to the incident. I have other footage from a closer viewpoint which I can't post which seems to show the cox grabbing an oar although that would be a brave/stupid action if it happened. I'll hear more about it from my son after returning to school monday (he is a junior rower in the shed).

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)

Club & School Regatta Races
The boats are aligned from the side of the course by the starter who gives instructions over a loud speaker to either touch (take small strokes) the boat forward or to back down. The starter when satisfied that crews are on the line gives the command which is followed by a horn blast which is the starting signal. A false start is indicated by the Umpire waving a red flag and the crews are then recalled to the start.
The jurisdiction of the Umpire (who supervises the race from a speedboat) extends from the time the crews are assembling at the start until the coxswain's weight (if applicable) has been checked at the finish. All directives of the Umpire must be obeyed and failure to do so can lead to disqualification and other disciplinary sanctions being imposed.

At the finish as each crew crosses the line a horn is sounded and the finishing order and margins are recorded by the Judges.
All crews and scullers must carry approved lane numbers fitted to the bows of their boats.

The Referee together with the Jury (all other Boat Race Officials) are responsible for receiving, hearing and adjudicating on any protest, appeal or unforeseen matter in accordance with the Laws of Boat Racing.

The protest from Shore was dismissed.

On a different note....

Podium results from the 11 races

St Ignatius 11
Kings 11
Shore 10
St Joseph's 1

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

MR
I have the drone footage. It almost looks like the Shore cox deliberately steers into the Kings boat on 3 separate occasions. It causes the Kings 7 seat to half crab. I think you could make cases for and against both crews, the one thing that is not in doubt however is that at no stage does Shore look to be mounting a threat to overtake Kings. I think that would be a significant determining factor in any protest proceedings.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)

AAGPS Sports Update - 25 MARCH 2022:​

The Executive Officer, Mr Nigel Price, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters' Standing Committee, wish to provide the following update regarding AAGPS sporting programmes in 2022:

The GPS Headmaster's Standing Committee have met to review the result of the 1st VIII race for the Major Rennie Trophy at the 125th AAGPS Head of the River Regatta held on Saturday 19 March 2022.

A decision has been taken that a Judicial panel will be formed by the AAGPS.

This panel will examine the decision of the Jury overseeing the Regatta to review the provisional placings of the crews across the line following the submission of a protest to the result in accordance with the NSW Laws of Boat Racing.

The AAGPS appreciates the understanding and patience of our communities at this time, as deliberation and procedural fairness is carried out in the best interest of all concerned.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Kings officially and rightly declared the winners of the Major Rennie.