• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Selection Politics at Schoolboy Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

straightshooter

Geronimo said:
I can tell you the answer to that....Yes. While I was at the selection trials there were two boys who I was told were picked in the NTS but failed to attend all the sessions without reason and were dropped. One of them progressed into one of the QLD teams. It would be unfair to mention names

Thanks for that ! That is behaviour based but I wonder if performance (on the field) has a similar effect and result. Some boys enter the squad at an early age but others sometimes catch up and pass. Not the original kids "fault" but happens. Am sure all the boys in this elite squad wish a professional rugby career but things change and disappointment generally follows.

Maybe that those boys deserve to remain in the squad until end of their final year - only a few appear to get chosen for higher honours thru the Academy - disappointment but needs to be dealt with as most young men do

F

fooi fooi

straightshooter said:
Ah-hem "they" say that James O'connor's younger brother, John (Johnny, Bunny whatever) is set to score a well deserved Force Academy spot after he repeats at Southport next year. believe it has nothing to do with the fabled one's re-signing at the Force or one of the conditions pertaining thereto. having that said the younger John was the best attacking back at Southport in 2009 season - can break the line and will back himself and played seconds most of year.

It really is good to see that cronyism etc etc etc is alive and well and that players only get "there" by dedication, motivation, skill and ability. it must really pi-s other kiddies off.

Never saw McLean play (so take your word TOCC) but Ben has progressed to be third string - McLean to be pissed for sure ! Young Matt will probably be found out once he gets to play with the big boys - tough little blighter who can tackle but has some passing and other problems that together with the size factor (very very relevant) will make it just about a foregone conclusion of being dropped away from the Academy in a year or two. If the Reds and Force and NTS are serious start being OBJECTIVE and not SUBJECTIVE about players - it sometimes just perpetuates the joke
does matts dad coach or have much involment in rugby other than being a sideline parent. You would think he does having two kids who can play

S

straightshooter

fooi fooi said:
straightshooter said:
Ah-hem "they" say that James O'connor's younger brother, John (Johnny, Bunny whatever) is set to score a well deserved Force Academy spot after he repeats at Southport next year. believe it has nothing to do with the fabled one's re-signing at the Force or one of the conditions pertaining thereto. having that said the younger John was the best attacking back at Southport in 2009 season - can break the line and will back himself and played seconds most of year.

It really is good to see that cronyism etc etc etc is alive and well and that players only get "there" by dedication, motivation, skill and ability. it must really pi-s other kiddies off.

Never saw McLean play (so take your word TOCC) but Ben has progressed to be third string - McLean to be pissed for sure ! Young Matt will probably be found out once he gets to play with the big boys - tough little blighter who can tackle but has some passing and other problems that together with the size factor (very very relevant) will make it just about a foregone conclusion of being dropped away from the Academy in a year or two. If the Reds and Force and NTS are serious start being OBJECTIVE and not SUBJECTIVE about players - it sometimes just perpetuates the joke
does matts dad coach or have much involment in rugby other than being a sideline parent. You would think he does having two kids who can play

don't know involement of the dad in rugby other than he appears to be fairly objective as he can be (with 2 good young men who CAN play the game) and has been very supportive of his boys over the years. Am told he attends all games whch is terrific for his boys

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Glad to see the same politics happen everywhere. You'll find this not only on national level but also on provincial or school level. Always where there are more then two teams for the same age group involved.

Pretty easy for the kid (and his parent)that dont make the grade to blame politics for his non selection. Some parents will even go so far to wirhdraw his kid from the sport if he dont make the A team.

Myself have a total different viewpoint if it happen to my kids. It give me the perfect tool to motivate the kid to work harder to achieve success.

In SA however we have the qouta or skin colour kicking in at provincial level. Thats the bad one I often find myself speechless to explain to my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.