• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The 2009 Shute Shield Season kicks off this weekend and ABC TV Grandstand will be there to bring you Saturday's big clash between Eastwood and Manly.

The match will be broadcast live into NSW on ABC1 from 3pm, with Steve Robilliard and the team bringing you all the action from T.G. Milner Field.

Both teams had disappointing seasons in 2008, failing to make the finals, and will be out to get this year off to the perfect start.

For Eastwood, Season 2009 is all about returning to the summit of Shute Shield rugby, a summit they last reached in 2006 when they claimed the First Grade Premiership with a 17-10 Grand Final victory over Sydney University.

Since then, it's been only disappointment - last year's failure to make the finals coming on the back of 2007's loss in the first round of the finals - and the Woodies will be looking to shrug off their past two years and get back to their best.

Manly will also be looking to put their horror 2008 to rest, and will be particularly keen to reverse the disastrous 0-5 start to last season, starting with a win this weekend. It has been 11 long seasons since the Marlins tasted premiership success, and 2009 may well be the year it returns to Manly Oval?

Can they kick-start 2009 with a win? Or will Westwood get the points and claim the early advantage in the race to the finals? Find out this Saturday on ABC1 from 3pm.

In other Round One action, reigning premiers Sydney Uni clash with Penrith, Parramatta play host to Gordon, Randwick take on West Harbour at Concord Oval, Norths play Warringah and Eastern Suburbs take on Southern Districts at Forshaw Park.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2009/03/shute-shield--1.html

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

It would be a great result for club rugby if Penrith can knock over the axewounds from Sydney Uni this weekend. Not to mention the mighty West Harbour winning the premiership this year. Go you good things!

R

rugbywhisperer

Does anyone know of a way of getting the ABC rugby in Qld - we are saddled with local mungo up here - not happy.
The only way I know is ABC on Austar - Foxtel ABC is Qld league.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

You could watch the ARC online but I've checked out the ABC site and can't find any live video of the Shute Shield.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

The usual 2 * 2cms of column space appeared in the local paper yesterday outlining Southen Districts chances this year. Apparently they have recruited some former leaguies (although I didn't recongise the names). Also have Chris Anderson (of NRL fame) on the coaching staff. I hope they start getting some sort of results this year as otherwise I can see them withering away.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

alright, cursory look through the teams, my notes:

- Leon Bott from Manly, will he live up to his potential?
- Will Munsie is down at Manly from the Gold Coast! Bloody poachers!
- Marshal Milroy on the wing for Randwick from the Gold Coast! Bloody poachers!
- Tim Walsh at 10 for Randwick! Bloody poachers!
- Sam Harris back from Japan for the Rats.
- Nathan Seivert at scrummie for Souths, making the move from Sydney Uni! Is that the 'Rep Cap' working?
- Tim McGann is down there too!!!
- Gavin Debartolo playing for Easts. Did he get a run with the US?

That is all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Leon Bott, as in the ex-Bronco from a few years back?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yep, was their rookie of the year whenever it was. Scored plenty of tries. Eventually cut and went to the Sharks now has ended up back at rugby. Played there last year I think too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Noddy said:

WHAT
First of all, Milroy moved to the GC from West Harbour. Poaching be buggered.
Secondly, he's got a heart the size of a pea. GC or Randwick, you can have him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

hmm, that's right. I forgot he started down there.

Bloody Randwick poaching him from West Hardbour!!!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Ash said:
Leon Bott, as in the ex-Bronco from a few years back?

One and the same. Played firsts Colts for West Harbour in about 2004 the same year he was selected in Australian Schoolboys. Always a fervent Broncos fan (apparantly the Broncos recruiter was taken aback to find Broncos gear, including doona, sheets, etc., in his bedroom when he visited his home for the signature) he didn't cut the mustard there and drifted back to Sydney, firstly to the Bulldogs and then the Sharks. He played most of last year with the Manly Marlins (aka the blue slime).

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Moses said:
For Eastwood, Season 2009 is all about returning to the summit of Shute Shield rugby, a summit they last reached in 2006 when they claimed the First Grade Premiership with a 17-10 Grand Final victory over Sydney University.

Josh Dunning at lock ? That tight 5 won't cut it if they want to crack the semi's.

Manly have a new centre pairing and #8 I haven't heard of. I hope they're dynamic athletes - Manly had bugger all in attack last season.

Anybody know why neither Jenkins brother is turning out for Uni ?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

naza said:
Moses said:

Josh Dunning at lock ? That tight 5 won't cut it if they want to crack the semi's.

Manly have a new centre pairing and #8 I haven't heard of. I hope they're dynamic athletes - Manly had bugger all in attack last season.

He is Cliffy Palu's cousin and FOB. http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/wallabies-here-i-come/

HE?S only been in the country for a week, can barely speak a word of English but already Marlins recruit Sioeli Iongi has revealed his dream to follow in the footsteps of his Wallaby cousin, Wycliff Palu.

And with a massive 185cm frame and 120kg of brute force, Iongi - known to his Manly teammates as ?Joe? - has the tools to achieve his lofty goal.

The 23-year-old, living in Dee Why, has moved to the Marlins after spending the last three years on a rugby scholarship in Japan with Setsunan University while studying law.

The similarities between Iongi and his famous cousin run deeper than just the family bloodlines - both are explosive talents who enjoy leaving a trail of destruction on the field.

?I look up to him a lot ... I?m proud of what he?s achieved,? Iongi said of Palu on Thursday through a translator.

?He?s an unbelievable player.

?I?d like to follow in his footsteps and play for the Wallabies some day.

?That?s why I came to Australia.

?I will try my hardest to make that happen.?

It will help having Palu in his corner.

While stressing it will take time for his cousin to adapt to Australian rugby, Palu has no doubts he can be successful here.

?He?s got the right attributes,? Palu, who will start for the Waratahs against the Highlanders at the SFS on Friday night, said.

?If he wants he can do it. He just needs to work hard at it.

?He?s always had potential, he just has to be playing well consistently.

?I?ve said before he?s better than I was at the same age.

?There?s not much opportunity in Tonga so this is a good chance for him to make a name for himself.?

Marlins assistant coach Matt McGoldrick expects Iongi to have a big impact at Manly Oval.

?He?s going to be a very good first grade player at least, probably even better than that,? he said.

?We?re expecting big things. For a big bloke he can really move and he?s very skilful.?

Iongi is likely to make his first appearance for Manly in next weekend?s trial against local rivals Warringah.

Meanwhile, Marlins coach Phil Blake has named an 11-man squad for this weekend?s Kiama Sevens tournament.

Manly are the defending champions.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Noddy said:

- Leon Bott from Manly, will he live up to his potential?
- Will Munsie is down at Manly from the Gold Coast! Bloody poachers!
- Tim Walsh at 10 for Randwick! Bloody poachers!
- Sam Harris back from Japan for the Rats.
- Nathan Seivert at scrummie for Souths, making the move from Sydney Uni! Is that the 'Rep Cap' working?
- Tim McGann is down there too!!!
- Gavin Debartolo playing for Easts. Did he get a run with the US?

That is all.

Not sure where they got it from (because I thought they were broke), but Southos have been throwing around a bit of cash which is how they got a few new players down there. Glad it happened though, a strong Souths is important.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Cutter said:
naza said:
Moses said:

He is Cliffy Palu's cousin and FOB. http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/wallabies-here-i-come/

Fantastics news and thanks for the info Cutter.

Exactly what the Marlins need - some go forward. At 6'1" and 120 kgs he sounds more like a prop, so the ELVs could be a challenge.

Anyway, none of it matters because this is the Year of the Beast !!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

ok, just caught up with the club rugby ruggamatrix podcast. Two questions:

1) How did they trainer get caught in a ruck to the extent she is laid up for 12 weeks? Anyone see it?

2) How rich are Lee's beloved Rats? I assume they pay big bucks for John McKee BUT THEY MUST BE PAYING BIG FUCKING BIKKIES TO HAVE POACHED PAT O'CONNOR AND RICHARD BROWN FROM BRISBANE CLUB RUGBY TO PLAY DOWN THERE. Sorry but that's just wrong. Wests and GPS in Briso should have them. That pisses me off immensely.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Noddy said:
ok, just caught up with the club rugby ruggamatrix podcast. Two questions:

1) How did they trainer get caught in a ruck to the extent she is laid up for 12 weeks? Anyone see it?

2) How rich are Lee's beloved Rats? I assume they pay big bucks for John McKee BUT THEY MUST BE PAYING BIG FUCKING BIKKIES TO HAVE POACHED PAT O'CONNOR AND RICHARD BROWN FROM BRISBANE CLUB RUGBY TO PLAY DOWN THERE. Sorry but that's just wrong. Wests and GPS in Briso should have them. That pisses me off immensely.

Noddy, my guess (and I have idea on the truth of this) would be that the Force would encourage all of its players to either play WA club rugby or Sydney club rugby. Getting as many of its players as it can in the smallest number of comps possible.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

so the Force continue to do their best to break down Qld Rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Noddy said:
so the Force continue to do their best to break down Qld Rugby.

Er, meant to say "no idea on the truth of this". But it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Brown is a Wallaby, and wouldn't spend much time at his club anyway, so why else he switch? No way a club would pay a lot of money for a 3 game a year player.

Status
Not open for further replies.