• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
It turns out you must have a player standing in the tracks. I didn't know that. Apparently Wests didn't either. I still don't see how the ref can instruct the halfback to stand there. I've got no idea what the hooker was doing. Have to watch the replay I guess!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't know how you can put a huge gap between TG Milner & rat park.

Don't know how he could put Woollahra and Coogee ahead of Manly and Uni. I'd put Manly, Uni and NSO at about the same - Woollahra in particular has no shelter and virtually no seating and Coogee has virtually no covered seating.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why did you put Manly Oval at the bottom of the list? It's one of my favourite venues, although not much seating. Haven't been there for a few years. It can get a bit muddy, though :)eek:).
It will be a trip well worth making this coming weekend.
Last on the above list, but for a number of years now it has consistently got the best gate takings. That says something.
4 away games out of the first 5 will have people wanting to knock down the walls to get in and watch their team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Where can you get a good view of the game at Manly?

I'll be on the tennis court side close to the action.

Being a circular ground, there's no equivalent "good view" in comparison to a rectangular ground.

The stand isn't as bad as some say for a view, the seats side on near the bowling green are ok, but not sure if the ABC will park their vans there, the small hill at the Raglan St end will be loud.

On so many levels, it makes no sense to play play there, but it just works. It's a natural amphitheatre and it just has something which newer grounds don't havem a certain je ne sait quoi if you like.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Where do you watch the games Dave?
The only place you get a good view,is on the sideline with the sun in your eyes.
Where ever Manly is playing.
At the gate where the players run out, never had an issue or a complaint down there. Hope the sun shines on both derby days.
Yes we share it with cricket, but it is a good day out and MRU have always done a great job.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'll be on the tennis court side close to the action.

Being a circular ground, there's no equivalent "good view" in comparison to a rectangular ground.

The stand isn't as bad as some say for a view, the seats side on near the bowling green are ok, but not sure if the ABC will park their vans there, the small hill at the Raglan St end will be loud.

On so many levels, it makes no sense to play play there, but it just works. It's a natural amphitheatre and it just has something which newer grounds don't havem a certain je ne sait quoi if you like.
It will be louder than loud.
It does just work very well.
One of the few clubs that can look after their sponsors in a George Smith stand and do it well.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Rats V Uni game yesterday was prob the best Shute Shield game I have seen in acouple of years and I think next weeks could even be better...

Do you think some of the guys are trying to step it up a level considering NRC is hanging over their heads?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rats V Uni game yesterday was prob the best Shute Shield game I have seen in acouple of years and I think next weeks could even be better.

Do you think some of the guys are trying to step it up a level considering NRC is hanging over their heads?

Good game but still rate the Manly v Uni semi last year as better albeit loosing after the hooter.

Strong comp the Shute and the true 3rd tier at the moment with quality games being played.

Hopefully with the geographic structure rivalries can be carried through to the NRC

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rats V Uni game yesterday was prob the best Shute Shield game I have seen in acouple of years and I think next weeks could even be better.

I am lucky enough to have watched both the Manly v Uni & the Rats v Uni games:

Manly v Uni was the toughest Shute Shield games I have seen in years

Rats v Uni was probably one of the most exciting games I have seen in years

Next weeks game between Manly & the Rats should be sensational and it should be because of the rugby played and the rabid support by both teams supporters!

Imagine what support the Waratahs would have if all of the Shute Shield teams supporters supported the Waratahs at the home games.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It turns out you must have a player standing in the tracks. I didn't know that. Apparently Wests didn't either. I still don't see how the ref can instruct the halfback to stand there. I've got no idea what the hooker was doing. Have to watch the replay I guess!

This is really just preventative refereeing. Referees do it all the time. Players know that the referee is giving the player the chance not to get penalised.

The hooker was probably defending in the back line. The "defending hooker" or man in the tracks is required so there is not an unfair advantage in the defensive backline. This is particularly critical in Sevens. You may also notice that the Tahs use Foley there so they can have an extra forward to defend in the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.