• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Of course mental attitude matters. I can't see it as the reason for the pattern of performance. The games I've seen suggest no lack of effort.

That's right, there is no lack of effort, but that's the case with 99% of rugby teams. In the last 15-20 minutes of the Eastwood and Warringah games Manly players have been struggling to get into position in both attack and defence. They held on against the Rats, but just went down to the Woodies. So yes, they throw themselves into it for the full 80, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any petrol in the tank to do anything but to try to hold on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Finals Crystal Ball
We have had one lap around the park, and not too many would have predicted the shape of the Shute Shield Ladder at this stage of the season in the lead up to Round 1.

While 52 Competition points seems to be the traditional requirement to make the final 6, given the results so far this season it looks like teams will need around 60 points to comfortably be in the running for Finals.

Looking at the run home to see who the contenders really are:
Sydney University 45 points. To come: Eastwood, Penrith, Randwick, Warringah, Eastern Suburbs, West Harbour, Parramatta.
Southern Districts, 40 points. To come: West Harbour, Eastwood, Manly, Gordon, Randwick, Penrith, Eastern Suburbs.
Eastwood, 40 points. To come: Sydney University, Southern Districts, West Harbour, Parramatta, Penrith, Randwick, Gordon.
Eastern Suburbs, 40 points. To come: Manly, Randwick, Gordon, Northern Suburbs, Sydney University, Warringah, Southern Districts.
Randwick, 38 points. To come: Parramatta, Eastern Suburbs, Sydney University, West Harbour, Southern Districts, Eastwood, Warringah.
Northern Suburbs, 34 points. To come: Gordon, Warringah, Penrith, Eastern Suburbs, West Harbour, Parramatta, Manly.
Warringah, 34 points. To come: Penrith, Northern Suburbs, Parramatta, Sydney University, Manly, Eastern Suburbs, Randwick.
Manly 34 points. To come: Eastern Suburbs, Parramatta, Southern Districts, Penrith, Warringah, Gordon, Northern Suburbs.

West Harbour, Parramatta, Gordon and Penrith are probably out of the running even if they win all their remaining games with a 4T BP.

Using Rounds 1-11 results and BP allocations (as fraught with danger that would be), as the results for Rounds 12-18, the finals contenders should be:
Sydney University, 70 points (play 4 top 6 contenders)
Randwick 68 points (play 5 of the top 6 contenders)
Southern Districts, 64 points (play 4 top 6 contenders)
Eastern Suburbs, 63 points (Tough gig playing 6 top 6 contenders)
Northern Suburbs, 62 points (only plays 3 of the top 6 contenders)
Eastwood, 61 points (will they be ambushed by Parramatta again? play 3 top 6 contenders)
Manly, 59 points (play 4 top 6 contenders)
Warringah, 55 points (play 5 of the top 6 contenders)

This is looking too close to call at this stage. It looks like Rats may be out, and The Corporation and Randi-Wix in, with Hobbits, Beasties, Shoremen, Woodies and MMM all having an almighty scrap to avoid one of them missing out on making finals.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Was a good day of rugby at Penritn yesterday ( BLOODY COLD.)
Parra had to play 65 minutes with 14 players due to a red card , from a dangerous tackle.
Spoke with JP who seems genuinely committed to the task a hand and is there for the long haul.
Stayed around for the speeches which was well attended. Also got to partake of a roast dinner the Emu's had on offer, which went down well on a cold evening.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Pretty sure someone mentioned a while back that the emus first win would be Round 11. Seems their Western Sydney Big Brother continues to hold the balance of power there.

The Two Blues forward pack are big buggers and they just bullied the Emus. Parra are my sleeper for next year. Like Easts and Norths have been the big movers this year, I'm predicting Parra will have similar movement next year up the ladder.

Just need 1 or 2 handy additions for those wearing double figures....................

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
That's right, there is no lack of effort, but that's the case with 99% of rugby teams. In the last 15-20 minutes of the Eastwood and Warringah games Manly players have been struggling to get into position in both attack and defence. They held on against the Rats, but just went down to the Woodies. So yes, they throw themselves into it for the full 80, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any petrol in the tank to do anything but to try to hold on.

That's lack of fitness. Wouldn't have happened on Phil Blake's watch. Perhaps it's time to take the clipboard and cheque book off Billy

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
That's lack of fitness. Wouldn't have happened on Phil Blake's watch. Perhaps it's time to take the clipboard and cheque book off Billy

I'm not sure that it is knuckles, this many rounds in match fitness should be playing a part. Having seen all the games - when they switch on they can tear teams apart.

I think it is chatter - and the sort of chatter that's hard to coach, the stuff that lifts your team and makes it fun and gets in the head of the opposition.

Some of those chatter boxes aren't far off their return.

It's a very close comp this year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty sure someone mentioned a while back that the emus first win would be Round 11. Seems their Western Sydney Big Brother continues to hold the balance of power there.

The Two Blues forward pack are big buggers and they just bullied the Emus. Parra are my sleeper for next year. Like Easts and Norths have been the big movers this year, I'm predicting Parra will have similar movement next year up the ladder.

Just need 1 or 2 handy additions for those wearing double figures........

Be interesting to see as they don't have much coming through Colts the next few years by the looks of it. They seem to get a few new recruits into grade each year though.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure that it is knuckles, this many rounds in match fitness should be playing a part. Having seen all the games - when they switch on they can tear teams apart.

I think it is chatter - and the sort of chatter that's hard to coach, the stuff that lifts your team and makes it fun and gets in the head of the opposition.

BJ Hartman would be a good start in that regard DB......

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
So Mr Insider tell us more or you just connected with one of the ex Marlins languishing in lower grades at Norths

Mr Galah NEITHER insider or a lower grade friend of a ex Marlin
How does a volunteer sound spending hours on a Saturday for nothing , and being a volunteer for the Shoreman you get to meet some amazing people who just love rugby.
My comments are coming from the people / volunteers within the Mmm camp

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

From the outside, it looks like your guys need more action,less talk:)

B

BellyTwoBlues

Just need 1 or 2 handy additions for those wearing double figures........

Nothing wrong with someone backing his team Knuckles.

Thanks for the wrap though.

B

BellyTwoBlues

they're still at the right end of the comp table, so what's the issue?

rugbydad

Frank Row (1)
What's going on at West Harbour , 1st grade Coaches and Players walked out last week. Not good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.