• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Getting towards the end of the season and with NRC due to start in three weeks time, who are the players out of the SS who we need to look for in the NRC and who might have the goods to go further into Super teams?

I'd start with Angus Sinclair, though maybe getting on a bit now but wonder why he hasn't had more opportunities up til now.

Then Guy Porter, No 13 with Sydney Uni. Waratahs U20s in 2015 and NRC experience with Stars and Rays in 2016 and 2017.

Pat Sio of course. No 8 back from overseas stint.

Patrick Tafa, lock/back rower with Norths. Qld Reds U20 2017 and NSW Gen Blue 2018. Huge potential.

Rowan Perry, No 7 Easts. Couple of years now in SS after Aus U20s in 2014. NRC 2015 with ACT Vikings and Brumbies WTS 2015. Is a great linking player when used in that capacity.

Must be many others.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Heart attack stuff at Manly Oval.
A good demonstration of how the game has changed.
Woods never ever considered setting for field goal,despite being in perfect position to do so.
Not sure if that's good or bad,I just know that back in the day,even the fourths would have had both the presence of mind,and the skill set to close it out.
Its definitely more exciting to play for 5.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Haven't watched the game yet, will watch it after dinner tonight. Not a whole lot hanging on this game. In the finals you would expect a slightly more hard-nosed approach.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wasn't impressed at all with Snowden on the weekend. Consistently calling (badgering more like it) for his forwards to come around to the blind side of the ruck when the opposition already outnumbered his own players on that side. Just doesn't seem to take a look at the where the defense is lining up, but has a pre-determined structure in his mind that he wants to apply. Have seen a whole lot better No 9 performances in recent times.

Goodall is huge but doesn't use his size to much effect. Just a so-so player who can scoot when he takes an intercept or is put away by his inside men. I thought the goal kicking No 12 was the best back on the ground on Saturday. Nick ?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
So which team's name will be added to the Shute Shield this year?

I can't see Easts beating Uni and I can't see Manly beating the Rats if Sam Lane is injured.
Eastwood are always dangerous in the playoffs, but Norths will be hard to beat at home.

So I'm tipping the top 3 to win this weekend which would means Manly (as the highest ranked loser) will also go through to week 2.
Uni will then beat Manly and will play the winner of Norths v Rats in the GF.

Probably totally wrong!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Go the Woodies!!!

We can beat Norths, although a lot depends on the team lists. Will Will play? If he does, I will concede defeat right now.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
thus we are into finals..and I guess the teams that didn't make the finals..well the coaching merry-go-round starts..who will be where?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nick Holton looked out of sorts at 10, but his goal kicking was again top notch.

For the Rats, Wileman was very strong and particularly hard to stop. The young winger had real jet boots. He surely has a big future.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If Manly want to progress beyond this week they need to have someone other than Charlie Abel throwing in the lineouts. Nothing against the bloke, because he's great in the loose, but I've lost count of the number of lineouts the Marlins have lost in the games I've seen him playing in. You can't consistently win games of footy when your set piece isn't working. You're just giving possession away and it saps the confidence of the team across the board. Manly were lucky to be in that game for as long as they were, because the Rats looked consistently more dangerous with ball in hand and could have scored more than they did. I'd still like to see the Marlins go all the way though, because it would be great to see them deliver on the promise of the last few seasons.

Norths looked very solid in their game against the Woods and will give the comp a massive shake again this year, especially at home.

EDIT: has Sam Ward always been a cheap shot merchant? I've noticed in the last few games I've watched the Rats play that he's constantly been involved in borderline filth or outright dirty play. Good player and a great leader, but there have been times when I've found his antics offputting.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Warringah into the final. Close game that could have gone either way.

As a Brumbies/Vikings supporter I was pleased with the effort put in by Irae Simone. Played 12 but spent a lot of time at first receiver and showed some good touches, putting players through small gaps and a doozy of a grubber for Wolfe to score. Think he'll go ok for the Brumbies in 2019.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Cracking game today and well done by the Rats. They'll be up against it next week, but I hope they can pull it off against the Uni machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.