• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Rd 1:-
Scotland
27 - 22
Ireland

England
19 - 16
France

Italy
7 - 33
Wales

RBS 6 NATIONS TABLE

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I watched most of the Scotland - Ireland game and about half the England - France game. As an observer without any allegiance, except that I don't like England, I was pretty unimpressed by the impact of the "power" game on the overall quality of play. The power forward one out run, often with a couple of helpers on his shoulder, seemed to be the only method of attack for long periods of time. The conditions were good but the quality of the players and coaches imaginations was dire. The only other way to make forward progress was the box kick.

To my eye it was about as attractive as watching five-kick. That is to say, pretty boring and unimaginative.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
To my eye it was about as attractive as watching five-kick. That is to say, pretty boring and unimaginative.

And yet the buggers love watching it. There are two different kinds of rugby, theirs, and ours.

We need ours to survive. The only way that can happen in the long term is to break away from them. Sooner or later.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
16472963_10154556742172772_8158351129506927157_n.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And yet the buggers love watching it. There are two different kinds of rugby, theirs, and ours.

We need ours to survive. The only way that can happen in the long term is to break away from them. Sooner or later.

Well I was one of the buggers who thoroughly enjoyed watching it, especially the Scotland/Ireland game which I personally thought was a bloody good test.
Not quite sure how you think Australian rugby would survive by breaking away and going alone? Because I would seriously doubt if anyone else would be interested as most proper rugby fans follow and enjoy the game because it can be played so many different ways.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well I was one of the buggers who thoroughly enjoyed watching it, especially the Scotland/Ireland game which I personally thought was a bloody good test.
Not quite sure how you think Australian rugby would survive by breaking away and going alone? Because I would seriously doubt if anyone else would be interested as most proper rugby fans follow and enjoy the game because it can be played so many different ways.

My friends all give me endless shit because I unashamedly adore watching England play.

Sure my ideal style is 2011 Reds / 2014 Tahs but theres no doubt I love seeing a bunch of massive, pale, angry, austerity-measures-and-freezing-weather-influenced NHers smash into each other from time to time. 10 man rugby? Love it. Kicking duels? Love it.

I suppose I'm just a Rugby fan first and foremost.

It's quite similar to how a lot of cricket fans (at least in the circles I fly in) absolutely loved watching Rahul Dravid play cricket simply because he'd score a century off 492 deliveries. It was slow and weird and mind numbingly boring but you still somehow respected the guy for it.

No one could get behind a ball quite like Dravid.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A man after my own heart Micheal, give me all facets of rugby!!

And have to admit I am also one of those silly buggers who can love watching a 5 day test and see someone graft out a century or whatever, are we a dying breed?:confused:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Love watching both,

Only watched the Ireland game, and even though we lost. It was a bloody good game, thought we would run away with it late in the second half but than Joe bought on Bowe and the momentum swung back around to the Scots.

Good first weekend, now hoping for some results to go the Irish was this week and to come out and thump Italy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A man after my own heart Micheal, give me all facets of rugby!!

And have to admit I am also one of those silly buggers who can love watching a 5 day test and see someone graft out a century or whatever, are we a dying breed?:confused:

FWIW I can watch a session of Test cricket no problem whatsoever but after ~6 overs of an ODI I'm wondering what's on the other channels. And as for T20, well, I know it pays the bills, but....... And God help us when people decide they need a shorter format still: T2, anyone? Yeah, nah.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IIRC T2 was done quite a few years ago WOB. Two players on each team who had to bowl the whole match (can't remember the No of overs) with a full fielding side, and only they got to bat with runs penalised for each and every wicket. I recall the Waugh twins were one team at the time.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I haven't watched any cricket since the single wicket tournaments of the 1850s. I feel we really lost the individual nature of the sport when XIs took over.

Of course, it was at least possible to watch when there were no artificial time restraints like the ridiculous 5 day limit. #Timelesstests #realcricket

------+++-------

Anyway, some pretty significant games for world cup 2019 this weekend. Loser of Scotland v France (especially France at home) might struggle to avoid the 9th ranking spot and the group of death

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be more inclined to criticize their brand/style/approach to rugby if ours was even half as effective and consistent as theirs.

The Irish, in particular, amaze me with their strength and discipline. We can't go five minutes without taking someone's head off, flopping onto a ruck or being 10 meters offside. In the Irish test last year they barely gave away a penalty all game. As difficult, if not more difficult, to achieve than fancy back-line plays.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apologies for my part in the thread going off the reservation........

............some pretty significant games for world cup 2019 this weekend. Loser of Scotland v France (especially France at home) might struggle to avoid the 9th ranking spot and the group of death

Current Rankings are:
7. Scotland 81.77
8. France 80.13
9. Argentina 79.91

If France lose they drop below Argentina regardless of the margin: to 78.99 if by 1-15, to 78.43 if by 15+. Scotland can't fall below Argentina: a loss by 1-15 puts them on 80.97, by 15+ on 80.47 which would still give them more breathing space than France currently have but obviously leave them vulnerable later in the comp v Wales & England.

http://www.lassen.co.nz/pagmisc.php#hrh

Remember that the RWC draw is in May so it's only the 6N & Georgia who can rise or fall in the rankings: Japan, Canada & USA have no fixtures & obviously nor do any of the SH sides.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ I suspect you're right & that if anyone's gunna trade places with Argentina it'll be France. Your lot beating Ireland certainly makes things interesting, Wales must really fancy their chances of making Pot 1 now...........

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Technically we can make top 4 too, World Rugby did the maths.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/222319

But that'll require a Win at the Stade & a Calcutta Cup in the same season after so long without either, and minimum one of the 3 would have to be 15+ wins.

We got lucky last time and got Samoa as our 2nd seed, that can't happen this time, so we really need that 3 in 4 chance of not getting France/Argentina rather than the pot luck that is 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.