• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Soccer WC

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK I know this is the last place to talk about poofball (myself for one) but we all are sports lovers so lets give it a go. In SA its all about this WC and you have to be blind not to get catch up in the spirit of all this. Myself bought some tickets to go watch just to say I was there and get the feel of all the hype around it. The kids obvious in hockey and poofball very much the same only in hockey they have a traditional weapon.

Find this interesting article

Stab-proof vest for SWC slammed

Johannesburg - World Cup organisers on Monday denounced a company advertising anti-stab vests for fans at this June's soccer tournament in South Africa, accusing them of trying to make money from scare tactics.

The British company's website (www.protektorvest.com) advertises anti-stab vests for $69.95 and says they can be decorated with customised slogans or team colours. As part of its pitch, it quotes crime statistics on South Africa, which has one of the world's highest rates of violent offences.

Local World Cup organising committee spokesman Rich Mkhondo condemned the vests as an "abominable money making ploy using fear tactics".

Mkhondo said in a statement: "Sport fans visiting South Africa have never needed stab vests. They will not and will never need them during the World Cup...The marketing of stab vests is a joke."

The phone number on the website does not work and comment was not immediately available from the company, which is registered with an address in Merton, southwest London.

South African and World Cup officials are sensitive about suggestions that violent crime will mar the soccer spectacular, the world's most watched sports event, which is expected to attract 450 000 foreign fans.

South Africa has one of the world's highest rates of violent crime, with around 50 murders a day, but police say fans will be well protected by more than 40 000 police.

Protektorvest is marketing stab proof vests as the best "personal protection clothing for the World Cup"

The website adds: "Our PROTEKTORVEST offers effective protection from potential attacks from blades, knives, bottles and broken glass and turns your stab vest into a special and exclusive fan article."

It offers to deliver the vests directly to a fan's hotel in Johannesburg or Pretoria next June.

Police were on Monday hunting two men who made threats on a local television programme to kill and rob fans at the World Cup
Hell I could not believe the Poms, never realize our criminals will shot you blank with a gun, they wont carry a knife. :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In June/July. They cut our December school holidays for that period.

Fixture List
Group A Match Date - Time Venue Results
1 11/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JSC South Africa - Mexico
2 11/06 20:30 Cape Town Uruguay - France
17 16/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria South Africa - Uruguay
18 17/06 20:30 Polokwane France - Mexico
33 22/06 16:00 Rustenburg Mexico - Uruguay
34 22/06 16:00 Mangaung / Bloemfontein France - South Africa
Group B Match Date - Time Venue Results
3 12/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JEP Argentina - Nigeria
4 12/06 13:30 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Korea Republic - Greece
19 17/06 16:00 Mangaung / Bloemfontein Greece - Nigeria
20 17/06 13:30 Johannesburg - JSC Argentina - Korea Republic
35 22/06 20:30 Durban Nigeria - Korea Republic
36 22/06 20:30 Polokwane Greece - Argentina
Group C Match Date - Time Venue Results
5 12/06 20:30 Rustenburg England - USA
6 13/06 13:30 Polokwane Algeria - Slovenia
22 18/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JEP Slovenia - USA
23 18/06 20:30 Cape Town England - Algeria
37 23/06 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Slovenia - England
38 23/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Algeria
Group D Match Date - Time Venue Results
7 13/06 20:30 Durban Germany - Australia
8 13/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria Serbia - Ghana
21 18/06 13:30 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Germany - Serbia
24 19/06 16:00 Rustenburg Ghana - Australia
39 23/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JSC Ghana - Germany
40 23/06 20:30 Nelspruit Australia - Serbia
Group E Match Date - Time Venue Results
9 14/06 13:30 Johannesburg - JSC Netherlands - Denmark
10 14/06 16:00 Mangaung / Bloemfontein Japan - Cameroon
25 19/06 13:30 Durban Netherlands - Japan
26 19/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria Cameroon - Denmark
43 24/06 20:30 Rustenburg Denmark - Japan
44 24/06 20:30 Cape Town Cameroon - Netherlands
Group F Match Date - Time Venue Results
11 14/06 20:30 Cape Town Italy - Paraguay
12 15/06 13:30 Rustenburg New Zealand - Slovakia
27 20/06 13:30 Mangaung / Bloemfontein Slovakia - Paraguay
28 20/06 16:00 Nelspruit Italy - New Zealand
41 24/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JEP Slovakia - Italy
42 24/06 16:00 Polokwane Paraguay - New Zealand
Group G Match Date - Time Venue Results
13 15/06 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Côte d'Ivoire - Portugal
14 15/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JEP Brazil - Korea DPR
29 20/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JSC Brazil - Côte d'Ivoire
30 21/06 13:30 Cape Town Portugal - Korea DPR
45 25/06 16:00 Durban Portugal - Brazil
46 25/06 16:00 Nelspruit Korea DPR - Côte d'Ivoire
Group H Match Date - Time Venue Results
15 16/06 13:30 Nelspruit Honduras - Chile
16 16/06 16:00 Durban Spain - Switzerland
31 21/06 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Chile - Switzerland
32 21/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JEP Spain - Honduras
47 25/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria Chile - Spain
48 25/06 20:30 Mangaung / Bloemfontein Switzerland - Honduras

Must say we have some great stadiums now. Many will be shared with rugby.

The Slaapstad one at Greenpoint is finished. Look like rugby may move there. I'd hate it if Newlands go but this one will have a roof and will be great in winter time.

Some photos of the Greenpoint one
greenpoint1.png

greenpoint2.png

greenpoint4.png

C

chief

That new stadium they built in Durban and Jo'Burg really do look the goods. Hopefully a few games of rugby will be played there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still cant understand why they built the Durban one? Dont think you'll see rugby easily in those. First they have to flatten the Shark Tank and Coke Tin.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Australia v. Serbia in Nelspruit.

Australia v. Ghana (who're bloody good, btw) in Rustenburg.

And the Kiwis get; Polokwane, Rustenburg and Nelspruit.

Dear me, but someone is paying off some debts to the Oceania group for Charlie Dempsey's exploits in the past. :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The ticketing is interesting. Eon told me the tickets I bought for R140 you pay 60 pound in the UK. our tickets are all behind the posts, thought it was a bad location but according to him its the best location.

Well you have to full in a lot of detail just to applicate for them. Sure that they'll struggle to sell but then it do take the criminals out of the stadiums.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Bugger me. :eek: £60 is about R700. Five times the price. Someone's getting a bit of revenge in there, too, it would seem.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Bugger me. :eek: £60 is about R700. Five times the price. Someone's getting a bit of revenge in there, too, it would seem.
Pitty they did not do the same thing for the BIL tour. They out prize our local lot. :lmao:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The official 2010 Fifa website, as funded by various Qatari officials: http://worldcup2010.angelfire.com/

Gearing up for the Poofball WC again. Who could forget the last one (oops, me actually, the whole thing, forgot the lot, apart from plucky NZ drawing with Italy and Eng getting thumped by the krauts)

Stay tuned here for in-depth match reports (or not, love the idea of WC but the actual reality of the whole Pablo to Escobar back to Pablo thing on the halfway line in 45 degrees gets old quick)

www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

v.handy having that "1 click to your time zone thing", saves me traipsing around some time conversion website then waking up at 3am to see Botswana take on the might of the Belgian Congo only for it to have taken place 8 days previously and 3 continents to the left.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
@Thomond78, you'll have to change your avatar. Peter Stringer is having a bath.:)

I hold soccer in a similar regard to boxing and cycling:eek:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brazil vs Croatia

The proud warrior nation of Croatia have fallen to the might of Brazil by a score of 3 kicks to 1 kick.

The Hometown Hollywoods were helped along in no small turn by the bug-eyed maniacal japanese ref awarding them a very, very, very dodgy penalty. This after pretty much ignoring all the 7 million war crime fouls that preceded it.

where is the much-vaunted samba/festival shit in the crowds? Isn't at least 1 annoying prick supposed to have a drum? Crowd looked like inert sentient cardboard cutouts on the telly. Bit like Eden Park!

I hope the final is some horrifically unfashionable rubbish like Croatia vs Bosnia & Herzigivonia Allied Forces FC.

chinabeach.jpg

The Japanese ref at the seaside.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For all the hype and media coverage this tournament receives due to being the most popular sport in the world, I find it quite a farce that Brazil is hosting it considering the country's current situation.

Really wouldn't surprise me if the entire thing was rigged so that Brazil or Argentina wins it. FIFA is a joke.

Managed to sit through about 30 mins of the opening game before I turned off the TV. The opening ceremony was perhaps the hardest thing I've had to watch since the Deans-era. Pitbull....seriously??

From now on I'll probably keep up with who's winning etc., but I certainly won't be waking up early to watch the Socceroos unless we make it out of the group stages - impossible.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
My bet of the World Cup is Australia to score 0 goals. Could be a long mornings viewing for all the Socceroos fans tomorrow I fear.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Spain: 1
The Dutch: 5

hahahaha, sunny sperm-stained Spain's brilliant plan to fuck around amongst themselves on halfway for the entire 90 minutes comes a COLOSSAL cropper here.

Halftime, the laborious pedestrian fluffybunnys were 1-0 up but boring everyone to tears, tiny waifs loitering around halfway exchanging 3 metre passes between the 8 of them. Forever.

Too good to get the ball off them.

Too chicken to risk doing anything with it

Then hello the Dutch took their meagre crumbs of possession and actually started trying to score goals. Brilliant plan.

Then Spain's goalie suffered some sort of a fullblown mid-match crisis right there between the sticks

Then none of Spain's superstar midfielders could be arsed running back to defend. And yet the more goals they leaked, astonishingly, they just kept slowing fuckign around amongst themselves in their own half. No urgency.

Fortune favoured the brave in this one.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Aus: 1
Chile: 3

Jesus, half of Chile was in the crowd. Absolutely maniacal fans. Anthem belted out by entire stadium and overwrought tearful players.

Poor aussie boofheads were right in that one.

2 goals leaked in 3 minutes despite having 8 on 4 in the box their undoing.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2-1 loss against Chile in South America is a fairly good result IMO. It was unrealistic to expect points from that one.

the Dutch though, seriously... just WOW. Not sure how Spain will recover from that but expect them to come out against us and Chile with all guns blazing..

We could be on the end of a tennis score both games next week. Certainly looks like we'll be getting the spoon in this group.