• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Social Media Response to Wallabies Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
If anyone here follows the Wallabies facebook / other pages they probably would have noticed an unprecedented hate for the ARU and Deans right now. Did anyone see Mark Legh's post on the page? It picked up over 1000 likes before it was deleted:

An open letter to the ARU

Dear Bill, Robbie and co,

I write to you as a disgruntled supporter who is fed up with the politics and bureaucracy evident in your organisation over the last five years. While everyone is sick of punters throwing in their two cents regarding every selection and decision making process, I have decided to base this letter on factual evidence I have accumulated over a period of time. I would like to address a few major issues in the administration of rugby which I feel have not been fairly answered.

Ticket prices-
As we all know, the upcoming tour of the British & Irish Lions is a momentous occasion for all involved in Australian Rugby. My query is why you have priced passionate supporters and families out of attending these test matches? I am a university student and paid roughly $290 for a ticket to the Brisbane match and $150 for a ticket in Melbourne. Would you call it justifiable to work roughly 22 hours to watch 2 hours and 40 minutes of rugby? You have effectively priced all junior and senior players, the overwhelming majority of families and a truck load of life-long supporters out of attending these games. As a result you are left with a ‘corporate dollar’ crowd who detract from the atmosphere and the enormity of the occasion due to their lack of knowledge about the game. Is this the type of crowd you want trying to drown out thousands of vocal British & Irish supporters? Will these supporters be there for you in a year’s time when the Wallabies are playing Scotland at Blue Tongue stadium or Argentina at the Gold Coast? You need to reward the people who support the game with the chance to attend these matches and not sell yourselves out at every given opportunity.

Selections-
Should the players bother putting their body on the line week in, week out in the Super Rugby competition? Quade Cooper has played every minute of this season for a very successful Reds team. While he was quiet for the first few weeks he has built into the season and until last weekend the Reds were unbeaten for 8 consecutive weeks dating back to round 5. On the flip-side I recently read that Berrick Barnes has played a total of 77 minutes all year, yet he managed to slot straight into the 25 man squad. After 14 rounds of Super Rugby can Robbie honestly say that Berrick Barnes has outplayed Quade Cooper and Matt To'omua with two cameos off the bench? Not to mention that if Pat McCabe had not been injured over the weekend he would have been selected, after just one start for the Brumbies in the game they drew to the cellar dweller Southern Kings. I think I need not continue with this argument!

Let’s look at a few of Robbie Dean’s comments in the media this week justifying his decision making. First, Robbie blamed Quade for Ben Tapuai’s form slump, saying that he should try and do less of the playmaking himself and use Tapuai as a second ball player. This may be a fair comment but you only need to look back to the 2011 World Cup and 2012 Test matches where Robbie played Pat McCabe and Anthony Fiangaa in the centres. While both these players are good defenders, neither of them have any ball playing capabilities, forcing Quade to run the show on his own. For Robbie to now say that Quade should offload some of the responsibility to his 12 is a contradiction of the style of game Robbie has forced Quade to play in the last couple of seasons. After selecting the squad, Robbie also said that Quade should have been defending in the front line if he wanted to be selected. I know the majority of his decisions and comments have minimal logic behind them, but wouldn’t this have been useful to say 10 weeks ago rather than giving a player two matches to prove his worth?

The Waratahs-
I can’t help but notice the number of Waratahs selected in the Wallabies set up over the last few seasons. In 2012 the Waratahs finished the Super XV in 11th place winning just 4 out of 18 fixtures. Although they lost to the Reds and Brumbies both at home and away that season, 8 Waratahs were selected in the starting XV for the opening Bledisloe Cup Test in Sydney. Considering the Waratahs also lost games to the Force, Highlanders, Chiefs, Crusaders, Bulls, Stormers, Cheetahs, and Hurricanes how could we possibly expect the Wallabies to perform? (I am guessing Robbie used the fact they beat the Rebels twice as criteria to pick them all!) Fast forward to 2013 – while the Waratahs have moderately improved to 8th place, it was no surprise to see 10 of their players being named in the 25 chosen for the initial Wallaby squad. This was interesting considering the Brumbies and Reds are currently sitting in 3rd and 4th place respectively. Alarm bells should be ringing – is Australia setting themselves up for ambush against the Lions?

The other comment we keep hearing is the ARU’s priority of ensuring a strong Waratahs team to maintain the support of the Sydney market. How many years did the Reds get thumped for before they became financially crippled and the ARU woke up and threw some money at them? The Western Force have struggled to win games since their inception and you never hear the ARU drumming up support for their franchise. Sport works in cycles and to unfairly favour a team because they play in front of a certain market is ludicrous. To select players from a losing team because they come from a certain place where the ARU’s administration also ‘happens’ to based is even worse.

Administration-
I was interested to see that although the ARU posted an $8.3 million deficit for 2012, John O’Neill was paid $2.1 million in salary and incentives to effectively leave the organisation a year before his contract was up. Was it really worth the ‘golden handshake’ to replace O’Neill with Bill Pulver? Early evidence suggests not, with Pulver struggling to sign sponsors for what is the most highly anticipated event in Australian Rugby since the 2003 World Cup. I will be interested to see how he goes next year in a regular test schedule. Is there any chance you could please shed some light to the supporters as to why you have made these decisions and how you can justify paying out O’Neill’s contract leaving the game in the state he did?

So as the Lions series draws closer I am posed with a decision. Do I continue to support the Wallabies as I have done my whole life only for these inherent issues to be swept under the carpet? Or do I back the Lions for a three–zip series domination so we can finally see the back of Robbie and a few long overdue changes made?

I look forward to your response.

Interesting stuff, I hope Quade plays the house down in the Reds v Lions game and gets included, and not just for Australia's sake

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Geez, it reads so differently to the content of several other threads we have going at the moment.
I suppose it serves to summarise them all into a semi-digestible pureed form that will be easier on the colon.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
https://www.facebook.com/Wallabies/posts/10151642651635731

Still available on that link.

Quades page has received enormous amounts of praise from his fans. Most of which are in disbelief that he has been hard done by.

I hope the ARU are getting the message.

Whether or not you agree with the comments being made, it is quite clear that a majority of the Rugby fan base are angered by the decisions that have been made in recent times.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
https://www.facebook.com/Wallabies/posts/10151642651635731

Still available on that link.

Quades page has received enormous amounts of praise from his fans. Most of which are in disbelief that he has been hard done by.

I hope the ARU are getting the message.

Whether or not you agree with the comments being made, it is quite clear that a majority of the Rugby fan base are angered by the decisions that have been made in recent times.
With all due respect, we have no idea if it is a majority or not. It may be, but a lot of noise on Facebook, various fora and so on is a rough numerator over an unknown denominator. I have spoken to a fair few "less obsessive" rugby fans than frequent this place, and they are far more grey than black and white with respect to recent events. Maybe we're the lunatic fringe?? ;)
Who knows?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Every person I've spoken to in the last week about rugby has not had a single good thing to say about deans, the aru and the wallabies.

It might be different in sydney, but up here I get the feeling the ARU are undoing a lot of the good work the QRU has done in the last couple of season trying to make rugby relevant again. Public opinion is definitely not in their favour.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
With all due respect, we have no idea if it is a majority or not. It may be, but a lot of noise on Facebook, various fora and so on is a rough numerator over an unknown denominator. I have spoken to a fair few "less obsessive" rugby fans than frequent this place, and they are far more grey than black and white with respect to recent events. Maybe we're the lunatic fringe?? ;)
Who knows?

Surely its fair to say that a majority of rugby fans have questioned at least one or two of the ARUs recent decisions? I'm not specifically talking about the Quade dilemma, that is absolutely a divisive topic but one of many that have raised questions. But things like JO'Ns bonus, Robbie's contract extension, selection oddities, contract handling, ticket prices, communication deficiencies etc. have effected people in one way or another.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely its fair to say that a majority of rugby fans have questioned at least one or two of the ARUs recent decisions? I'm not specifically talking about the Quade dilemma, that is absolutely a divisive topic but one of many that have raised questions. But things like JO'Ns bonus, Robbie's contract extension, selection oddities, contract handling, ticket prices, communication deficiencies etc. have effected people in one way or another.

These sorts of things have been questioned since the beginning of time. People will always have something to complain about.

I don't think there is anything particularly new going on right now. People are fed up with Deans and want to see the back of him but that would be the same with pretty much any Wallabies coach ever. The only slight variable this time is that it's been dragged out a couple of years longer than it needed to.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not sure you can say that. The majority of members of this forum have had nothing to say in the Wallabies Squad thread. The ones who have have made multiple posts, and I dare say more than a few from each side repeated in essence scores of times.
I am not sure what the "majority" of fans think, but we all get to know what the vocal ones think.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
These sorts of things have been questioned since the beginning of time. People will always have something to complain about.

I don't think there is anything particularly new going on right now. People are fed up with Deans and want to see the back of him but that would be the same with pretty much any Wallabies coach ever. The only slight variable this time is that it's been dragged out a couple of years longer than it needed to.

And that is a direct result of an ARU decision, isn't it? As I said earlier, I believe a majority of people are disappointed with the ARU. The other issues have simply become more prominent because everyone is looking for more reasons to have a shot at them. This, I think, is a good thing as it forces change that has needed to occur for quite some time now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And that is a direct result of an ARU decision, isn't it? As I said earlier, I believe a majority of people are disappointed with the ARU. The other issues have simply become more prominent because everyone is looking for more reasons to have a shot at them. This, I think, is a good thing as it forces change that has needed to occur for quite some time now.

As cyclopath has said a couple of times, there is no way to tell whether the majority of people are seriously upset with the ARU. Like most issues in life these things tend to be a vocal minority making enough noise to seem like a majority. It generally isn't the case.

In terms of disappointment with the ARU. That's a pretty weak word which most people would be able to apply in some manner at any time. I'd guess that the majority of rugby fans would be disappointed with the ARU at any time outside of the 10 minutes immediately after we've won a Rugby World Cup.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
N
No it's fair to say the majority of reds fans are unhappy. I for one believe that the persons we have in the squad to cover 10 (JOC (James O'Connor),Barnes and Lilo) are what we need against the Lions. I also haven't forgot his comments last year and don't believe he can change and accept the direction of the coach.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I find it amusing how the bloke in the OP says "everyone is sick of punters throwing in their two cents regarding every selection and decision making process" and then proceeds to do exactly that in an 'if I ran the world' scenario.

Personally I can't understand the 'Quade is being hard done by' argument.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
As cyclopath has said a couple of times, there is no way to tell whether the majority of people are seriously upset with the ARU. Like most issues in life these things tend to be a vocal minority making enough noise to seem like a majority. It generally isn't the case.

In terms of disappointment with the ARU. That's a pretty weak word which most people would be able to apply in some manner at any time. I'd guess that the majority of rugby fans would be disappointed with the ARU at any time outside of the 10 minutes immediately after we've won a Rugby World Cup.

With all do respect I think you are underestimating how discontent many people (at least where I live) are with the ARU. People in Brisbane are talking more about rugby this week than they have any time since the Super Rugby Finals in 2011. Except the excitement has been replaced with A) disappointment that Cooper will not be playing and B) negativity towards Deans.

It's overshadowing the great occasion that is the Lions tour and it is not good for rugby.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
With all do respect I think you are underestimating how discontent many people (at least where I live) are with the ARU. People in Brisbane are talking more about rugby this week than they have any time since the Super Rugby Finals in 2011. Except the excitement has been replaced with A) disappointment that Cooper will not be playing and B) negativity towards Deans.

It's overshadowing the great occasion that is the Lions tour and it is not good for rugby.

Brace for it - "It's only the bloody Queenslanders having a whinge!"

Frankly, Queensland is one of, if not the most prominent Rugby Union State in Australia and I think their opinion is one to be heard, not disregarded. We consistently produce wallabies and have representatives in all (i'm fairly confident?) the Super rugby franchises in Australia. The Reds, as of the last 3 years, have been quite successful as a team and I absolutely believe this gives us a right to an opinion that matters.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

No. The incessant hand-wringing, chest beating, hair pulling and general wailing from a certain vocal section of the Australian rugby community is.

Status
Not open for further replies.