• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Somebody buy Brendan Cannon a dictionary, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Half a dozen times last night, maybe more, Cannon referred to various players as a "tyro". As in "Sam Bloggs is a real tyro".

Canno, you seemed to be using the term as a compliment. Check your dictionary. A tyro is a beginner, somebody inexperienced. The opposite of what you seem to think it means.

Blimey. It's a strain being a rugby viewer these days.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'd settle for less inane questions that start with 'obviously'.

Canno, if you think it needs obviously you are asking questions we already know the answers to.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe his misuse stems from that fact that Tyro specifically relates to a novice who's working hard to get better at his craft. Often the misuse is in relation to the working hard portion and it's used for players with a good work ethic regardless of their level of experience.

The masters of commentary normally had a great way with words because they also had a love of words and their meanings and would have used it correctly. The current crop of commentators would have grown up listening to those guys but without fully understanding the context in which the words were used. Indeed it could be said that many of the current crop of commentators are themselves Tyros, although some might lack the work ethic.

Being a dyslexic my own relationship with words is a bit of a love-hate one. What I wouldn't give for the eloquence of a Bill McLaren.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Cannon should follow Richie Benaud's style for TV which is "less is better".
He is known in our household as "Captain Obvious", as he repeatedly tells us what our eyes have already seen.
It's not Radio Brendan, there are pictures and sound and graphics and replays.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe his misuse stems from that fact that Tyro specifically relates to a novice who's working hard to get better at his craft. Often the misuse is in relation to the working hard portion and it's used for players with a good work ethic regardless of their level of experience.

The masters of commentary normally had a great way with words because they also had a love of words and their meanings and would have used it correctly. The current crop of commentators would have grown up listening to those guys but without fully understanding the context in which the words were used. Indeed it could be said that many of the current crop of commentators are themselves Tyros, although some might lack the work ethic.

Being a dyslexic my own relationship with words is a bit of a love-hate one. What I wouldn't give for the eloquence of a Bill McLaren.

No, a tyro is simply a beginner.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
... snip ...

Bill McLaren will remain the Gold Standard of Rugby commentators.

Knowledgeable, passionate, dedicated, objective, positive, and eloquent. What more could you ask from a commentator?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Half a dozen times last night, maybe more, Cannon referred to various players as a "tyro". As in "Sam Bloggs is a real tyro".

Canno, you seemed to be using the term as a compliment. Check your dictionary. A tyro is a beginner, somebody inexperienced. The opposite of what you seem to think it means.

Blimey. It's a strain being a rugby viewer these days.

Maybe he can go with dynamo.

Maybe Canno thinks that tyro is a combination of a tyrant and a dynamo. Or a dynamic tyrant is you like.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a random aside, Lindommer said the following a week or so ago in the Brumbies vs Waratahs thread:

P, if you're going to start correcting wj's grammar and/or spelling you may as well take on the labours of Sisyphus while you're at it.

For some synergy, in Greek mythology, Sisyphus married Tyro and they had two children.

Maybe they were Waratahjesus and Brendan Cannon?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

Knowledgeable, passionate, dedicated, objective, positive, and eloquent. What more could you ask from a commentator?
Just one thing......understanding the power of silence by letting the pictures, and at times crowd, tell the story.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Many of you were too young to hear Cyril Towers, the hall of famer who commentated on the ABC for many years. IMO he was at least his equal, the finest commentator I was able to listen to regularly. He worked in tandem with Trevor Allan, who could be a bit annoying at times, but was still light years better than the Fox crew. No one on the national scene comes remotely close to Cyril, our best commentators in Oz work in the Sydney ABC, but they are still a pale imitation of Towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.