• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South African Rugby Folklore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
All nations have something to be proud of. For South Africans it's our rugby. It's the one endearing thing that we still have today despite all the negatives in politics which includes Apartheid and Quotas more recently.

This is not a jibe toward any other nation but merely a tribute to, mostly, Springbok rugby although other South African rugby greatness may be posted here.

The events of the past is something I never witnessed as a young person so I'm looking over them. I think others may enjoy the content as well.

I'm hoping the thread brings forth some interesting introspection and debate.

Conditioning, nutrition and the resulting physical attributes allowed for various players to be of use in a range of roles in those days. Boy Louw, for example, was a prop who also played as a lock, flanker and number 8 for South Africa. He was highly revered back then and many today believe him to be one of the Springbok legends of all time.

Anyway, here's part 1 of a series that has Springbok tries from 1937 to 1955. There are a few good tries here and watching events from this long ago makes you realise how much defenses have improved. Still, the handling in one or two of the tries in this video is actually really good.

Enjoy:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As an Australian rugby supporter, and liberal, who is old enough to remember the horrors of some important aspects of South Africa's sporting history, I will simply suggest that a more rounded approach than that implied in the opening post would be appropriate.

Otherwise this thread deserves to degenerate into a s**tfight.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I don't want to fulfill the prophesy of this thread degenerating into a shit fight, but a couple of the words in that post could probably do with being edited out.

Status
Not open for further replies.