• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Welcome to the 2016 version of the GAGR universe, what are your thoughts on the 2016 season?

The major discussion point for the 2016 season has got to be competition format. What does the future hold for the SIRU competition with the proposals floating around at the moment?

The have also been a number of key players retire this year and some others who are thinking along those lines as well. I'm hearing names like Paul Hood and Richard Manion being added to the already confirmed retirements of the likes of Joe Tora, Rambo Lagaali and Jock Mason.

Player movements could also be a big factor on the competition with players like James Olds, Joe Mullany, Dan Cottrell and Rory Sheard all unsure about what the future holds for them in this area of the world.

#SIRU2016

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
so what sort of Comp are we looking at for SIRU next year.
Plenty of rumours going around on saturday that things will change in 2016.
the word is the Coota push to re-start the old South / West Comp has lost plenty of momentum which means the Tri Colours have some big decisions to make about next year.

That'll be interesting to see, I wonder what the Yabbies and Tuskers think about that? Are there any Red Devils around here that have some mail on thus?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Red Devils wouldn't know where they are heading in 2016.
Yabbies will commit suicide for their Club if they go into a 1 Town Comp
Temora should stay where they are
Cootamundra - Decisions to be made about their future existeance

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....p-changes-designed-to-attract-players/?cs=104

Could have big implications for the Cootamundra Solution in 2016. How far is it from Condobolin to Coolah? Only a cool 350kms.

I see the merit for the Top Tier, but the cauldron for the lower tier may send clubs south. Particularly for the likes for Grenfell/Wyalong who already have their juniors playing in SIRU.

What is the likelihood of the Grenfell/Wyalong/Condo clubs having a women's team?

SIRU will probably be pretty happy with the increase in their participation numbers such a move will bring! Although there will definitely be an increase in the administration required to run an additional competition. ;)

What are Parkes, Forbes and Cowra doing? SIRU can accommodate for them as well, it would add another dimension to the Premier Division. Canowindra might as well come south also...

This could create some major headaches for the Brumbies also, what to do with the Monaro Clubs and Far South Coast? Fair dinkum, my head hurts.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe the Aussie Rules & Soccer teams might have to carry the flag for Coota next year.
Still waiting to hear if the Coota push for a new Comp next year has got off the Ground Yet ?
The word is Coota are getting impatient waiting for certain clubs & the Brumbies to get back to them.
Could Coota return to NSW Country next year ??

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
is that a proposed 2nd Division in the Monaro Competition - if so that is a great idea - Coota, Temora & Young could go into that Competition with Harden & Junee.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
A resurrection of the South West Competition is a great idea, which will benefit all clubs. The sticking points will be how be how organised the clubs are and the communication between each club, NSW Country Rugby and the Brumbies. To be fair dinkum and to have a successful competition, it is inevitable that some clubs will cross from the Central West Village Comp and the Canberra DIV 2 comp so a little diplomacy is needed!! It is my belief that a one team competition which includes the teams already mentioned here, there and everywhere on this forum is the best way to sustain rugby in these small towns and if & when the time comes they are increasing in numbers to sustain two grades, then you have the conversations again in the reality of that context.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
my understanding is that Coota, Temora & Young have been told by Brumbies Rugby that a review of the Monaro / South Coast Comp which kicked off this year is being held during Oct.
Just wait and see what the outcome of that review is & see what emerges.
The SIRU comp has had plenty of additions and subtractions in the past several years but in the end seems to keep the big majority of the Clubs playing in the Competition happy.
Coota should be looking at several options for their future & not just putting all their eggs in the one basket !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Correct @sicnarf, although I'm sure the one team comp will be a discussion point for a number of key persons at the Tricolour's presso's tonight.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The SIRU AGM should be able to shed some light on Coota's future -

Several clubs have expressed interest in a 1 Grade Comp so this should be the forum

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting article regarding the steamers about players leaving. Do they have the depth in second grade to be a force again next year?

Any more player movements?

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Albury's Reserve Grade won only 2 Grades this year ??
Two Professional Rugby players played for the Club this year and have already moved on.
One of the players made himself available to several ACT Clubs and SIRU Clubs but in the end he decided to play for Albury ??$$.
How the Steamers go in 2016 will depend on the depth of their cheque book not their 2nd Grade players from this year

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Two Professional Rugby players played for the Club this year and have already moved on. One of the players made himself available to several ACT Clubs and SIRU Clubs but in the end he decided to play for Albury ??$$.
My understanding is that he was originally talking to one of the glamour clubs in the zone who couldn't source an appropriate sponsor for the player and that this was a deciding factor. Also the obvious lure of SIRU's close links to the Brumbies program via the SIRU Rep Program and Brumbies Provincial Team. It's disappointing that the handy rep players (ie Latu/Botha/Olds etc) haven't had the chance to at least train with say the ACT Griffins team and then see where that leads.

How the Steamers go in 2016 will depend on the depth of their cheque book not their 2nd Grade players from this year
From what I have seen across the zone in recent years, the Steamers aren't the only club who are looking at ways they can attract players and from what I've heard, their budget is more based on "in kind support" than dollars.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think the Albury second grade performed quite well this year. I believe they blooded a number of 16 and 17 year olds and first time rugby players. And a number of those became some of the 35+ guys that played First Grade in Albury this year. As for the $$, from my limited understanding I think some of the broader community would be quite surprised by how limited it is. I understand that the standard agreement (like most SIRU clubs) is that the player funds their own way out and the club will help with work and accommodation where possible. The strength of Albury doesn't lie in its fiscal position, but comes firmly from the bond of the players that are here and love they have for the game. I am sure if you asked the two Saffas the reason they would come back, their answer would not be because of the dollars.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
. It's disappointing that the handy rep players (ie Latu/Botha/Olds etc) haven't had the chance to at least train with say the ACT Griffins team and then see where that
. As with the other clubs, The Steamers would love to see their players gain access to the Griffins or the Rising. In fact the club actively encourages representatives from those organizations to see them in action. These young guys want to be able to challenge themselves at the highest levels and the local clubs, I assume, would be 100% behind that. It was the thinking behind the Steamers providing such high numbers for the SIRU squads this year...

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Very naive to think that players from our zone would be invited to train with the Griffins when talented players from the john I dent cup sides don't get selected in the squad. Tai Veleni (mcdougall medal runner up 2015) is one that comes to mind.

If players are good enough and willing they have to play week in week out in front of coaches Harris, Roberds (UC vikings) and Southwell, Fahey and Ross (ACT Griffins).

Canberra clubs actively recruit from our zone every season. Players can't expect to be picked up in rep teams playing national competitions from SIRU. The guys picking these teams are looking for consistent performances from players under pressure on a weekly basis. Not strong showings in a weaker comp and a couple of rep games.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Very naive to think that players from our zone would be invited to train with the Griffins when talented players from the john I dent cup sides don't get selected in the squad. Tai Veleni (mcdougall medal runner up 2015) is one that comes to mind.

If players are good enough and willing they have to play week in week out in front of coaches Harris, Roberds (UC vikings) and Southwell, Fahey and Ross (ACT Griffins).

Canberra clubs actively recruit from our zone every season. Players can't expect to be picked up in rep teams playing national competitions from SIRU. The guys picking these teams are looking for consistent performances from players under pressure on a weekly basis. Not strong showings in a weaker comp and a couple of rep games.
I don't see the harm in inviting some key players from Brumbies Provincial Program in for training and testing, have a chat to the players and give them some form of program to work with.

I agree that the stepping stone is about playing regular rugby in a Premier Division Competition but there has to be a starting point other than full relocation to the Berra.

Status
Not open for further replies.