• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs All Blacks @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Colin Slade was awesome in his cameo at halfback. I really hope Hansen noticed how good he was in that role and gives him a start there in their next test.

More on the TKB injury:
"He has done his ACL cruciate ligament and he has torn the back of his hamstring off as well and his medial ligament," revealed Hansen.

Farken' Ouch!

Sorry HJ, but imo Pulu is next cab off the rank.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
More on the TKB injury:
"He has done his ACL cruciate ligament and he has torn the back of his hamstring off as well and his medial ligament," revealed Hansen.

Farken' Ouch!

Sorry HJ, but imo Pulu is next cab off the rank.

and he played on - albeit not for long

Reactions: Tex

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If NZ are not going to select the accomplished international halfback Colin Slade at #9 then I want to see Jimmy Cowan back in Black for the AIG's.

He has been playing the annoying yappy cheating runt halfback pest role to absolute perfection with Tasman in the ITM Cup.

Imagine the ginger he would bring to a Bledisloe Match if he played.

To get the turnstiles spinning at Lang Park in Brisbane we need someone apart from Sir Ritchie GOAT to galvanise the crowd support and Cowan would do the trick nicely.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
If NZ are not going to select the accomplished international halfback Colin Slade at #9 then I want to see Jimmy Cowan back in Black for the AIG's.

He has been playing the annoying yappy cheating runt halfback pest role to absolute perfection with Tasman in the ITM Cup.

Imagine the ginger he would to a Bledisloe Match.

To get the turnstiles spinning at Lang Park in Brisbane we need someone apart from Sir Ritchie GOAT to galvanise the crowd support and Cowan would do the trick nicely.

I nominate Shiggins!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TKB is one of the finest rugby players to come out of the Northern Territory. A big loss for the NT Mozzies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I imagine from the tone of the article there maybe a few getting a breather WOB, can see perhaps 2-3 others getting a break, Whitelock , Read or perhaps Richie, could even decide Smith the A could have a rest!

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
What a cracking test. Congrats to the Bok supporters here. If only the boks would play this pattern consistently they would rarely get beaten.

AB's looked out of sorts for much of the match like they have in a number of games this year.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Time for a few Majorly Ragerly comments.

Firstly, and this over rides anything else. Congratulations to the Boks for 2 things. Firstly for beating us fair and square - better team on the day, better players and despite what else I write below, this cannot be taken away. Secondly for finding Pollard. He's been the missing link between the good SA teams of the last few years and the great SA teams. He is going to piss me off like nobody else over the next few years. What a player.

I don't know what else can be said about AB's vs SA at Ellis park - I could tell we were in trouble at the anthems - Joost, the crowd, the anthems, everything. The 2 best teams, one of the best venues on the planet, and the best rugby rivalry there is. From the match, the intensity, the battles right through to the interviews afterwards. Epic. I went to bed a happy man despite losing. This what sport is about, nothing else. And to think people called this a dead rubber.

The match itself - well, we were blown away early on. But man, nobody stages a comeback like us. Dominated the second half and only lost to a 55 metre penalty. Simply can't be argued. We've had our fair share of last minute victories over the last few years, so on a balance/ledger view, I can't complain.

MOAN TIME - READ IF YOU WANT OR SKIP IF NOT INTERESTED.

It's fucking disgraceful that ultimately the penalty that gave this game to the Boks was there because of the TV producer. Their job is to show the games to the people, come up with replays that the people want to see & offer analysis. It's NOT to desperately scour all the coverage and find something that could potentially be a penalty so the home team may have a chance at winning it. I have no problems with the penalty in itself and Barnes awarding it - no problems at all. But for things to be decided in this manner is not part of the game and never has been. None of the Ref, Touchies, TMO ref had a problem with it in realtime & that is how it works. to have the producer show it on TV endlessly so the crowd went at it, then subsequently JdV asked for it to be reviewed (again, not something I have a problem with in itself) is bullshit.

The IRB better look at this pre RWC. Although I know they won't, as they only peddle to the British scribes & they will all be happy the AB's lost.

MOAN TIME OVER.

So in summary, a great game, a great day for SA and a great advertisement for rugby all around. Records over, Richie is still an absolute god of a player.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Being a Victorian lad I taught myself a lot about rugby by watching and re-watching tapes of old Tri-nations tests. Blokes like Corne Krige, De Wet Barry, Jannes Labuschagne, Percy Montgomery, Andre Venter, Bobby Skinstad are all seared into my memory, as is the sight of a seething Ellis Park witnessing close combat between the ABs and the Boks.

This test is the closest I've seen to the late 1990s/ early 2000s matches, and hopefully is a prelude to more of the brutal and proud South African teams of the past.

Provided the Wallabies sort out their internal bullshit, the next few years of the Rugby Championship are looking excellent.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Major, I agree with you up to the
. I think it was De Villiers who alerted the ref to the incident. But what I agree that they need to work out some protocols about this. Between theses two sides we have seen the incident when Bismark was penalised for his tackle on Carter where if I remember correctly the ref made no use of replays to what we get now where the ref seems to be watching the a Seinfeld episode during the game.

They need to have some rules around reviewing incidents before it becomes a free for all whingefest on the field.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes, that is ultimately my point - where does it start, where does it end. JdV pointed it out because the crowd was upset and he saw it on the screen. Burger didn't complain, none of the players complained at the time. In realtime it didn't even look bad - the TMO sounded to me like he wouldn't have even awarded anything. Barnes was obliged too though I thought (side note, thought Barnes reffed very well).

Your Bismarck point is valid. Yellow card for that tackle was wrong - and the ref should have used the technology available before making such a big, game-affecting call.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ Captains challenge: two challenges per captain per half, regardless of outcome & no carrying over - unused 1st-half challenges can't be used in the 2nd. Seemed to work in the NRL U20's this year, can't see why it wouldn't work in Tests & yes they really, really need to get this sorted prior to RWC - 2015, not 2023!

On lasers, no stadium should be hosting matches at this level without a high-tech security system (Mendoza's is a Bosch system btw) capable of IDing morons who throw things, point lasers, etc AND security staff who actually do their fucking job & eject said morons.

If gorillas in security hi-viz can spot my mate drinking out've a hip flask at Westpac (not long after it opened so well & truly pre- any post-9/11 security hysteria) & give him the option of surrendering it or his ticket, they can sure as fuck do the same for laser pointers, coin throwers, etc.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes, that is ultimately my point - where does it start, where does it end. JdV pointed it out because the crowd was upset and he saw it on the screen. Burger didn't complain, none of the players complained at the time. In realtime it didn't even look bad - the TMO sounded to me like he wouldn't have even awarded anything. Barnes was obliged too though I thought (side note, thought Barnes reffed very well).

Your Bismarck point is valid. Yellow card for that tackle was wrong - and the ref should have used the technology available before making such a big, game-affecting call.

It's a fucking shambles if you think about it.

Sometimes the ref will look at the replay, sometimes they won't. Sometimes they listen to the Captain, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they overreact to a touchie pointing out something, sometimes they ignore him.

Worse yet, sometimes they feel too embarrassed to reverse a decision that they know is wrong (like the Habana yc. - Ref already had his card out before he looked but too soft to eat humble pie). Owens called a binned player (Hooper) back (the right decision).

It's absolutely all over the place.

I have said this many times:

LOOK AT HOW THE NFL USES TECHNOLOGY (and please, nobody tell me it wastes too much time - that would suggest that you don't understand how and when they use the technology). They have proper protocol to back it up.

Rugby lacks in protocol and use of replays.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
What was interesting was that Owens reversed a decision after reviewing it on the screen, but it is still a muff-show. Too many players waving their arms around like windmills when something happens. I noticed the Boks were also liberal with their pointing out to Barnes that a knock had occurred.
Its bloody annoying.
I dont know if I want to see some sort of review process as there is in cricket. If there were no controversial call what would we talk about all week?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Time for a few Majorly Ragerly comments. Secondly for finding Pollard. He's been the missing link between the good SA teams of the last few years and the great SA teams. He is going to piss me off like nobody else over the next few years. What a player.

It's fucking disgraceful that ultimately the penalty that gave this game to the Boks was there because of the TV producer. Their job is to show the games to the people, come up with replays that the people want to see & offer analysis. It's NOT to desperately scour all the coverage and find something that could potentially be a penalty so the home team may have a chance at winning it. I have no problems with the penalty in itself and Barnes awarding it - no problems at all. But for things to be decided in this manner is not part of the game and never has been. None of the Ref, Touchies, TMO ref had a problem with it in realtime & that is how it works. to have the producer show it on TV endlessly so the crowd went at it, then subsequently JdV asked for it to be reviewed (again, not something I have a problem with in itself) is bullshit.

The IRB better look at this pre RWC. Although I know they won't, as they only peddle to the British scribes & they will all be happy the AB's lost.

MOAN TIME OVER.

So in summary, a great game, a great day for SA and a great advertisement for rugby all around. Records over, Richie is still an absolute god of a player.
Thansk for your great comments MR, I for one is glad that you are still around (from the old clan at TSF).

Pollard came some way, he have the BMT in spades like I qouted before the first test in NZ. Serfontein sure is the other one who look like the great Danie Gerber from day 1 I have seen him play.

Anyways tough but brave and the correct call against one of my favourate All Black players. Thats the important one, last year Battleship got the wrong call in NZ when he knocked over Carter in a legal tackle and that yellow cost us dearly. Messam also got away for the same thing in the same test. I am not moaning about it but thats the way it goes and always when this two teams meet you need this.

In the end I am sure the outcome will help both teams in their WC dreams for next year. Springbokke needed this victory badly and the All Blacks needed a loss to take stock of themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.