• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 6: Waratahs v Reds

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With the obvious exception of the tacklers charged with lying on top of the ball carrier to allow defence lines to be set.

I think that's a metric as well, they use it to measure how disruptive a player is or effective at slowing the ball down.

Looking at the NRL website they have in game statistics for all players with their average play-the-ball speed. It's a simpler game where they can quantify these statistics much easier then rugby. But you also listen to some famous coaches and they don't like stats, statistics can be manipulated to tell whatever story you like.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also comparing the stance of Uru and Harris, Harris looks as though he is just standing there with both feet below his hips and not in a position to push on the engagement. Whereas Uru is set lower, shoulders up the locks ass and feet spread to really drive through on the engagement.

In the post-enage shot, Harris has his feet a bit further back, so it must have been timing on the first shot.

He and Uru are going to be a little different on that setup because Harris has to get ready for the ball, while Uru just has to put some weight on then prairie dog for the first phase tackling.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I read somewhere that one of Eddie Jones' key player metrics is the speed with which they get up after a collision.

I am pretty sure I once read he watches games multiple times, on the second viewing he does not track the ball but the players close to the ruck and judges them by what they do away from the ball

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Which is one thing I alway look at too, gives me the shits with how some players think making a tackle etc means they have done their job!

Also one of the reasons teams employ Leaugie coaches to come in and get some tackling practice. Often times these days it isn't even technique related, but linespeed and speed off the ground. League players who are lazy to get off the ground after a tackle are even more exposed than rugby.