• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 6: Waratahs v Reds

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon if you drop out anyone from the 2 teams tonight over about 25 you’ve got the bulk of the wallabies squad for lions 25 and rwc 27

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a surprising result but there were some positive moments from the Tahs, certainly some good individual displays. Ran out of puff. And locks. Add the incomprehensible yellow to that too.

I liked Forketi/Perese vs. Moreroa... Tizzano I still feel overall is playing well and Perecki had a good game... When they get some flow they can play some nice rugby, but the ruck work is just poor at times, the scrum is a liability so there is just such a poor platform to work from.

Newsome was rather poor in defence. Got sucked in a lot. Looked like a lack of trust in the next man.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Physicality they were matched.
But I’ll be interested to see the stats on the number of passes and runs though.

Just too halter skelter. Too much drop ball, and desperation plays that were not required. Desperation is not the same thing as creativity.

Reds are not the finished product, by a long shot.

All that said, it is a good time to be a Red fan. :)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Just too halter skelter. Too much drop ball, and desperation plays that were not required. Desperation is not the same thing as creativity.

Reds are not the finished product, by a long shot.

All that said, it is a good time to be a Red fan. :)

Particularly when the opposition wasn't at the same level. The earlier Chiefs/Blues game was halter skelter at times, but the drop ball in that game was due to fine margins and pressure. In this game it was just poor execution on the Reds part..

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I liked Forketi/Perese vs. Moreroa. Tizzano I still feel overall is playing well and Perecki had a good game. When they get some flow they can play some nice rugby, but the ruck work is just poor at times, the scrum is a liability so there is just such a poor platform to work from.

Newsome was rather poor in defence. Got sucked in a lot. Looked like a lack of trust in the next man.

Newsome is our captain. A guy who is barely club-grade. Think about that for a minute...
No wait...best not to.

Porecki is a solid player. But why is it the case that two Sydney boys i.e. BPA and Fainga'a, are starters for their state and WB contenders - and yet we’ve got to 2 solid club players, one of whom can’t make 100 kgs.

Welcome to the NSW talent management system.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
MK has really stepped it up as the season has gone on. He has looked really good.

Petaia has been unimpressive. Campbell is doing himself no favours. Banks is looking like he's our Wallabies 15 at this point.

Why the hate for Campbell?

you dont need 15 superstars in a team, you need reliable players who dont cost you the game. He is doing well without being a standout.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So is the Penney the man for the job? Make all the excuses you want re lack of experience, young team etc. the fact is that the Tahs aren’t executing to the level of a professional rugby team. Learning how to tackle and organise defence isn’t a new skill set when you reach Super level, yet they can’t seem to do it. 30+ points put on them 4 times this year and lost to the Force who are shithouse.

That tells me there are far far deeper issues regarding structure and leadership.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Was he playing tonight? o_O
Yes. I had to take him in my fantasy league because of byes. He scored 2.6. To put that into perspective, Beaudan Barret was also in my team and scored 82.6, both as outside backs. Why on earth would you have a winger as a captain anyway?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
So is the Penney the man for the job? Make all the excuses you want re lack of experience, young team etc. the fact is that the Tahs aren’t executing to the level of a professional rugby team. Learning how to tackle and organise defence isn’t a new skill set when you reach Super level, yet they can’t seem to do it. 30+ points put on them 4 times this year and lost to the Force who are shithouse.

That tells me there are far far deeper issues regarding structure and leadership.
No

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't help but notice the difference between Stan's commentary team this week compared to last week. Same commentary team: Maloney, Horan and Mitchell. Reasonably balanced coverage for the Reds v Tahs but last week these three ex Foxtel hacks struggled to even mention that the Western Force was on the park. Scorelines for both games about the same.
Maloney used to try and give both sides fair coverage but seems to have lost the knack.
The other two I reckon couldn't name more than a handfull of the WF team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't help but notice the difference between Stan's commentary team this week compared to last week. Same commentary team: Maloney, Horan and Mitchell. Reasonably balanced coverage for the Reds v Tahs but last week these three ex Foxtel hacks struggled to even mention that the Western Force was on the park. Scorelines for both games about the same.
Maloney used to try and give both sides fair coverage but seems to have lost the knack.

Yeah, nah.........

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Force team is full of blokes who won’t be around next year, the commentary team shouldn’t bother learning them anyway. At least the Tahs guys are young and hungry and there are a heap of future Wallabies if they can change their management.

ShuteFan1

Peter Burge (5)

What about the defence coach Gilmore ? His resume isn't exactly getting enhanced at the moment

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I am desperately keen to support Stan and their coverage.

However, it is distinctly weird that they never show replays of anything, be it scrums or penalties.
Am I imagining that?