• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 - NZ Derbies & v Drua/ Moana

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got home to Hawera after going down to Levin for the game.
Thoughts: Bloody good preseason game (probably best one I have seen personally), good crowd and Levin Domain looked a picture. Was a bonus with Canes coming from behind to win for the home crowd!
On Players (mainly Canes as they my team)
Adan Murphy at 10 looked pretty ordinary (his kicking out of hand was horrible) and hope it was just an off game from him. Jamie Booth was ok at 9, but not a lot more, rest of starting backline were just ok, looked a little disconnected on defence. Josh Moorby improved as game went on I thought.
Forwards, Coles looked lively while on, was pretty happy with scrum, and I actually though James Blackwell went bloody well (sorry haters).
After the Changes etc I thought Cam Roigard was pretty bloody good and was maybe the spark that set the second half going for the Canes,> Rayasi has got a great left boot ,and used it well from penalty spot a couple of times. I like the game of the young 10 that came on in 2nd spell Godrey? Also the front row went well when Lomax. Aumua and Rakete-Stones came on too.
For Crusaders (don't know all players names).
Thought Burke went well at 10 I thought, as well as No11 (springer I think) and Fihaki. Forwards SamW went well, Newell looked good as did I thought Grace and Blackadder at times.
Just as I saw it!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
First game up and the Crusaders at home to the Chiefs. Trials form had the Chief's starting scrum going backwards, but their broken field counter-attack totally on song and Damian McKenzie in absolutely scintillating form. I'll have to miss it live as I'll be headed to Sydney for the Waratahs Brumbies game straight after but I am looking to catch the replay before going to bed. It should be an absolute ripper.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just a pic from Levin Domain at Canes/Crusaders game. Both WOB abd I have great memories of games here!
Levin Domain.jpg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Chiefs @ Crusaders: Chufs to pinch this one with their helter skelter McKenzie-led nonsense just because it's week 1 and the Crusaders will still be slumbering for another month or so.
Drua @ Pasifika: God knows what will happen here.
Blues @ Highlanders: Highlanders with no Sex Pest = rekt.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Tribe should probably have won that SF last year & that alone should have CruSadists "up" for it. Moana & Drua could each put 40+ on the board & Loss Bleus should be far too good for Clan even in front of a packed zoo (it's O-week in Dunners).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez fellas I struggling with picks, heart would be happy if Chiefs caused upset, but by geez Crusaders looked pretty decent in Levin on Friaday night
Would think Drua should beat MP (Moana Pasifika), but haven't really seen either teams reseason games so just a wild guess.
Have to agree Blues I suspect will be too strong for the Clan.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Chiefs look bloody useful on paper if DMac can deliver at 10.
Boy that is going to be so interesting for the season how DMac goes at 10, and how much gametime he gets there! Gatland and Ioane are quite reasonable 10s as well, can understand the idea of sending Trask for a season in Japan, and telling Kemara to head of to Crusaders!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mouthwatering opening game, boy I looking forward to this one big time, and of course Tahs/Brumbies afterwards? What an opening night!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
12th anniversary of the main Canterbury earthquake today. Hasn't been officially acknowledged since 2020 due to covid so expecting something on Friday plus of course wrt to the recent cyclone-related disasters in the far North/ Auckland, Bay of Plenty & East Coast/ Gisborne/ Hawke's Bay/ Wairarapa.

Last edited:

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Blues

1 Ofa Tuungafasi
2 Kurt Eklund
3 Nepo Laulala
4 Patrick Tuipulotu
5 Cameron Suafoa
6 Akira Ioane
7 Dalton Papalii
8 Hoskins Sotutu
9 Finlay Christie
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Caleb Clarke
12 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
13 Rieko Ioane
14 Mark Telea
15 Stephen Perofeta

Reserves:
16 Ricky Riccitelli
17 Joshua Fusitu’a
18 Marcel Renata
19 James Tucker
20 Adrian Choat
21 Taufa Funaki
22 Bryce Heem
23 AJ Lam

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Highlanders

Ethan de Groot
Rhys Marshall
Jermaine Ainsley
Paripari Parkinson
Josh Dickson
Shannon Frizell
Billy Harmon ©
Marino Mikaele Tu’u
Folau Fakatava
Mitch Hunt
Jona Nareki
Thomas Umaga-Jensen
Josh Timu
Jonah Lowe
Sam Gilbert
Reserves: 16. Andrew Makalio, 17. Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18. Saula Ma'u, 19. Will Tucker, 20. Sean Withy, 21. Kemara Hauiti Parapara, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Connor Garden-Bachop

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting to see Suafoa starting. Not that I mind it at all, but assumed Tucker would've started given his efforts last year. Also no Sullivan at all is disappointing, as he seems to be available for selection.

EDIT: Also Ricky fucken Riccitelli ahead of Vikena is not very cash money.

Last edited:

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting to see Suafoa starting. Not that I mind it at all, but assumed Tucker would've started given his efforts last year. Also no Sullivan at all is disappointing, as he seems to be available for selection.

EDIT: Also Ricky fucken Riccitelli ahead of Vikena is not very cash money.

Vikena giving away a dumbarse yellow card last week for a late tackle wouldn't have helped his chances. He has form for that crap - needs to get it out of his game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moana Pasifika team to play Fijian Drua

Saturday 25 February

Mount Smart Stadium, kick off 4:35pm

Format: (Jersey Number, Name, Moana Pasifika Caps)

1. Ezekiel Lindenmuth (13)
  2. Samiuela Moli (11)
  3. Sosefo (Joe) ‘Apiktoa (11)
  4. Samuel Slade (9)
  5. Mahonri Ngakuru (5)
  6. Michael Curry (8)
  7. Solomone Funaki (10)
  8. Jonah Mau’u *
  9. Ereatara Enari (9)
  10. Christian Lealiifano (11) – Captain
  11. Neria Foma’i (5)
  12. Danny Toala (12)
  13. Levi Aumua (9)
  14. Timoci Tavatavanawai (8)
  15. William Havili (11)
  16. Luteru Tolai (8)
  17. Abraham Pole (9)
  18. Chris Apoua (5)
  19. Mike McKee (2)
  20. Alamanda Motuga (8)
  21. Manu Paea (4)
  22. Henry Taefu (8)
  23. Fine Inisi (9)
* Denotes Super Rugby Pacific Debut Unavailable due to injury: Sekope Kepu (achilles), Jack Lam (ankle), Penitoa Finau (foot)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji Drua

STARTING 15

1. Emosi Tuqiri*

2. Tevita Ikanivere (c)

3. Jone Koroiduadua

4. Isoa Nasilasila

5. Leone Rotuisolia

6. Joseva Tamani

7. Kitione Salawa

8. Te Cirikidaveta